My Achievements List

Post all Curious George's Redeemer Insanity {CG} content here!
gopostal

Re: My Achievements List

Post by gopostal » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:06 am

I understand where they are coming from. MH is a monster killing game. Maps have an unnecessary amount of bt crap in them. Some objectives are fun, but the water gets muddy pretty quick if you start trying to incorporate assault and bt into MH mapping.

How many times have you played Indiana and seen it break into two factions: One group takes it's time killing everything, and then you have the bt bunnies who blast through the map and pop up with "Can I end it" while the first group is still clearing the pupae? I've seen time and again where monsters are ignored for the sake of completing obstacles.

I get what you are saying BIO, and you have a very valid point. Personally I just think a better balance can be found in some of the maps. Indiana was designed as a single person assault map and whomever converted it did it without permission according to the map maker, and they made no attempt to adjust gameplay to suit the mod. Looks to me like they just tossed a bunch of monsters in and released it.

Reiyel_3.0
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Post by Reiyel_3.0 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:49 am

BIOMECH wrote:Whats up next? remove all the goblets except the wooden one and put it an an altar? :lol:
Hilarious :lol: :lol:

Anyway, you both have a point. So, as I said, maybe those two maps (the original Indiana and the fix of Scotty) could be on the mapvote menu, so people will decide which map they wanna play.

8)
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.

Con una condición: que me dejes abierto el balcón de tus ojos de gata

BIOMECH

Post by BIOMECH » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:15 pm

MH is not all about monster killing...

Adding AS to MH, what's wrong with that? :|
Admittedly the BT parts of maps are the ones that are sometimes the worst.
I never understood why jumping around like an idiot and dying loads and loads of times is considered a good addition to ANY game :roll:

Still, some nice music and a good conversation are just as important as shooting stuff :)

-HellFire-

Post by -HellFire- » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:46 pm

I always have UT music off and my own music on :mrgreen:
I play much better with my own music because you are in than in a happy killing mood :lol:

I prefer the MH maps where you need to get past some BT to get the Redeemer for example.

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:53 pm

Yeah I'm about to scrap the whole project. I had thought this would be well received but it has not been.

Don't gripe at the admins though when the servers crash on mapchange or the map makes the server flop over because it has problems. For some strange reason that is much more tolerable than downloading a map twice from a redirect :roll: .

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:55 pm

ScottyD wrote:Yeah I'm about to scrap the whole project. I had thought this would be well received but it has not been.
Scotty's version was not a drastic change, just minor fixes. So what's wrong with you guys? Have you already tested the new version? I don't think so...
Plain Old Telephone Service

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:59 pm

I'm waiting for a final release. Then I'll tets.
~Peace~

Hermskii

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:51 pm

I didn't mean to come across as testy last post. I apologize if I did.

I've gotten a lot more angry messages than you'd expect over doing this. People do not like having to download the map a second time, even if it is improved. Guys, it's not like I'm trying to reinvent the wheel. Indy was the first map that play was actually changed on. The rest have been improvements to make them not crash the servers. Of course it would appear to be no changes on most maps to the average player, as they don't see the information that the server needs. I'll bet you if Herm flips back through his logs, he'll see a lot of previous crashes on the maps I had to fix. The bad teleporter ends on them screw up the mod. That's why the server crashes often after a mapvote, bad endings.

This isn't even taking into account the maps I had to fix doors and elevators and movers on to be able to finish them. I have just as many more still to do. I am really very sorry if this caused friction. I was only seeking to improve things.

Reiyel_3.0

Post by Reiyel_3.0 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:43 pm

Just in case some of you don't know, Scotty is always improving maps, mods, etc. I thought he's been doing that only on PMH but looks like he's been helping Hermskii too. Many maps have been fixed and now they're playable thanks to him. Also many server problems and bugs have been fixed thanks to him. :mrgreen:

I believe all comments were trying to be suggestions. You won't have much consensus on that because it's subjective; some people like maps to be in a way, and other people like a different kind of map (For example, I do like BT on MH maps, but some of you do not). But I believe we all agree that, if the map is ruined and it's making the server crash, then it must be fixed, replaced or removed. And I'm also sure that everyone will thank you for the job and dedication.

I suggested to have both maps on the mapmenu because I don't know a thing about hosting a server, maybe my suggestion is not possible. So maybe we should all download the Scotty's version, try it, and then make a poll. Or just leave the desition to Herm. Anyway Scotty, please just don't abandon your projects and continue helping here. I'm sure everyone will thank you for that. :mrgreen:
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.

Con una condición: que me dejes abierto el balcón de tus ojos de gata

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:36 am

I've taken and tried to install every map that has been fixed so far. I am just waiting for the final decision on the Indiana Jones map.
~Peace~

Hermskii

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:55 am

I'm not gonna abandon my projects but this one just really surprised me at the reaction. There have been a couple of major mappers approach me with "you need to not do this". One big MH mapper told me just tonight that the cabal of five or so of the big MH map makers will no longer make maps if I did this :shock: . What? You gotta be kidding me...I said "Have you even looked at the changelog? Do you even know what I'm fixing?" The whole conversation was intensely bizarre. I told him I had fixed the monster infighting and he told me that stopping monster fighting would ruin the maps, monsters needed to fight each other. I tell you I was just shocked at the whole thing, completely and totally. I've read and reread the conversation log and I just can't wrap my head around it. I even thought maybe Skillz or someone was trying to pull a joke on me, but no it was legit....Wow, just total wow.

-HellFire-

Post by -HellFire- » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:06 am

That's just a sick conversation LOL!

BIOMECH

Post by BIOMECH » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:14 pm

Isn't it weird that a topic I made to display my achievements has turned into a 3-page, 43 post discussion?...

It's the way of the forums for things to go weird :)

And whilst im talking, how come I havn't been able to connect to the server in a while?

Connection Failed
Rejected by server.

????? wha?

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:45 pm

OK. First I want to ask which server is refusing you BIOMECH? Please post the answer here or email me with that answer.

In response to Scotty and his odd situation, I can't understand either why certain map makers would gripe about this at all. I'll be happy to take a stand beside Scotty here especially in the part about fixing maps from crashing. Now changing maps without permission is wrong in my opinion "Unless" you got permission from the mapper o do it or you really tried like hell to contact them and could not. Somebody remind me to start a thread to list mapper's names and their last known good email address.

Now about the mappers wanting him to stop the infighting fix I have to stand with Scotty by preference meaning I want the infighting to stop but I'll also stand by and wait to see what the reasoning is for them to want him to stop. There are a few mappers out there that think they are more grand than ever for making great maps and they have my respect but several of them also have attitudes as if they own the realm of who can do what with MH maps based on them being the ones who have done it first and the longest. That does not make them right in my opinion but it does make me stand by to see why they say what they say and then I'll make my own damn decision thank you. NOBODY OWNS ANYTHING IN UT EXCEPT EPIC IMHO.
~Peace~

Hermskii

-HellFire-

Post by -HellFire- » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:53 pm

@ Hermskii - He probably mean your server because he said: ''Im not able to connect to THE server''. Guess that's yours :?