Misquoted?

Post all Curious George's Redeemer Insanity {CG} content here!
{DOU}Hippiekat
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Post by {DOU}Hippiekat » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:05 am

Meat....If ya can get him to set it so you cant die from a redeemer the first 10 seconds you spawn im there. The loop of poop sux.

MEAT

Post by MEAT » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:04 pm

I agree with ya Hip...I'm not a fan of spawn kills either...especially if I'm the one spawning. But from what I have heard, it's part of the game. (I don't see how though but I better stay quiet...lol)

Hermskii
Site Admin

Funny

Post by Hermskii » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:40 pm

Ok, here is the deal with that option about spawn protection for 1st 10 seconds. Been there - Done that. I'm telling you, there is very little I haven't tried in the past already. That spawn protection idea was originally mine and every single person HATED it! The server went empty in a matter of days and stayed that way until I removed the mod.

Back to the idea of you serving UT MEAT. I think you should go for it. It isn't easy or wasn't for me at first as I didn't have too much help. Since then, Ihave written a little manual that walks you through the easy part of setting up a standard server and then it goes on to discuss some more advanced stuff like redirecting files and web admin and stuff like that. The basic server is as easy as just starting a practice session. SERIOUS. If you say "Let's try it" I will pull more than my weight to get you going. I'll supply the web space for future redirects, I'll supply the support you will need every once in a while as you try new things. I'll even build and deploy the whole thing with yuor name on it and everything. I'll just send questions to you about particulars like How many players maximum, How many players minimum. Lets do this mannnn.
~Peace~

Hermskii

MEAT

Post by MEAT » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:05 pm

Thanks for the offer but my time and ability is limited. Plus with all the restrictions I'd make, and there are many, I doubt anyone would visit the site.....lol
No....I'll play here and I'll play with the cards you deal us.

Hermskii
Site Admin

No!

Post by Hermskii » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:30 pm

No Meat, you will not just roll over like that. What do you want to call it? How many bots? What names do you want the bots to have? Which bots do you want me to use as they all have different skills with Logue being the hardest one? Min player load? Max player load? Which mods? How many maps? Which ones? How many to cycle? Which version of MapVote? Use MapVote at all? How long delay before scoreboard shows up? Can player change skins during game? How about change models? What skins do you want to load? Any voices? How many deemers at start up? Leave power ups on map? What will the message of the day say? Should we use Bonus Pack 2 at all? What do you want the web based admin tools password to be? Who else should have it? What do we do about mplayer no longer being used as a master server? Should we use Qtracker instead? Are we going to use advertisement mods? Bad language blockers? Spawn protection? Kick Idler? Will the players be able to use the translocator at all? How hard should we set the bots? Which words to block if we use bad language blocker (be specific)? Should weapons stay? How much bandwidth should each player get? Should we run the server dedicated or as a listen server? Start it from in game or from a batch file or as a service? Should it start up with windows? Have a UPS I can have so power outs won't be an issue? Which port should the server advertise through? What about health mods? Maybe we can use the grappling hook instead of the translocator? Are we going to put on cheat protection? What if there is too much lag? What if a player joins and their name changes to Player3? What if the weapons are all invisible? Wha tif the map gets stuck and locks up? Should it be a deemer only mod? What should the welcome message say? Wha tprogram should we use to create it? Will we need to make map packs for everyone? Do you think we should use a lag monitor to kick players that connect too slow? What level patch do you want to use? 436, 440, 451, 451b? What should the frag limit be? What should the time limit be per map? Should it force respawns? How about the game speed setting and air control settings? Should they stay at default? Maybe we can set the bots to autoskill? Do we want to use ngworldstats at all? That is all I can think to ask right now. Please get back with me soon. Thanks!
Last edited by Hermskii on Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Peace~

Hermskii

{TNP}Venus

Post by {TNP}Venus » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:04 pm

LOL.. Alot of work goes into Setting up a Server I Gather,Doing a great Job Hermskii. :wink:

{DOU}Hippiekat

Post by {DOU}Hippiekat » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:46 pm

Damn Venus is HOT!!!

MEAT

Post by MEAT » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:13 am

Sounds easy.....lol
But again, my time is limited and I worry about my incompetence. And Herm, you said it best when you said I was in the "minority" when it came to pleasing the mass. You've read all my posts/comments...you know my fan base...why build it if I'll be the only one playing it?

MEAT

Post by MEAT » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:50 pm

And speaking of building it....I still hardly see anyone playing at the ClanDOU Redeemer site. But instead I see all these DOU "clansmen"...lol and others ...(SRA and DOA) playing at CG. Hardly a way to support a clan or family, much less a redeemer site, don't you think?
But don't get me wrong...PLEASE DON'T GET ME WRONG...I can understand having symbols/letters/numbers to denote teams during team events but am I the only one laughing at this tribal kindred after the fact?
Just hope CG doesn't turn into one of those gangs...lol
Send all death threats to.....

The Jargonaut

Post by The Jargonaut » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:08 pm

Okay. I have a Pentium III 1 gig processor just laying around gathering dust. Herm, do you have any Coppermine motherboards laying around? I think I can scrounge up enough ram and perhaps an old hard drive. Maybe install Linux, and see if I can find UT99 for Linux.
Meat, I know that you do not have the time to do this, but it can be a rewarding experience. Actually, after you got it up and running, It takes little time at all. I would be happy to donate these items to the cause. Heck, I would even play on your server.
Do not let Herm fool ya. Admin is not quite as bad as that. At least not in the beginning. I would bet that, after a few months, your server would have a good following. There are quite a few people out there that would rather play larger maps.
If Herm would not mind advertising your server.... MEAT'S MONSTER MAP REDEEMER SERVER... on CG, I think you may have a good crowd.
Just a thought.
Plus, you could ban me from the server :lol:

The Jargonaut

Post by The Jargonaut » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:21 pm

Oh, and by the way, I will ALWAYS put away the deemer if ya wanna play transloc tag :D

MEAT

Post by MEAT » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:26 pm

GRRRRR....SOMEBODY FRAG ME !!!!!
Herm.....time wise....how long will it take to get up and running?
can't believe I'm thinking about doing this

The Jargonaut

Post by The Jargonaut » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:50 pm

:D
Good to hear that you wanna try it.
As far as getting it up and running, Not very long. You can tweak setting along the way.
One thing you need to know is your up/down speeds to your internet connection. I usually check mine here.
http://www.dslreports.com/stest

For example, I have:
Your download speed : 4100 kbps or 512.5 KB/sec.
Your upload speed : 428 kbps or 53.5 KB/sec.

So, I should be able to support 8 players with little issues.
I would think that you caould get started using stock UT maps in as little as 10 to 15 minutes. If you want to add more maps, then it would be best if you used redirect... Wait, I am getting ahead of myself.
Try doing it now with your current computer. Just go into the game and under the Multiplayer tab, select Start a New Game.
Just mess around in that. You will find that it is easy.

The comand line and service running of the game is complicated for beginners, but Herm can guide you in that if he wishes.

Good luck!

Hermskii
Site Admin

Basic

Post by Hermskii » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:01 pm

The basic server can be up tonight. In fact it will be. What do you want to call it? I like the name Jarg used. Note that it will run from the CG box so iwill have t otake down CG and MHM each time we make a change to meet your liking. I only want to take down the servers once a day to make changes to your so we will need to be able to list needed changes. Start a new thread Meat. Call it Meats server. Now start putting in stuff the way you need it to be like most of the questions I asked you above. We'll start there. I will make the basic server with that name mentioned above and have it running the base maps that come with UT and the DM maps from bonus packs. That will be a good start. It will have 2 player minimum and because of my bandwidth constraints from the other servers for right now, we will max the player load at 6. Sound good?
~Peace~

Hermskii

MEAT

Post by MEAT » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:10 pm

Yo Jarg, maybe we need a Telefragging site...lol