My Resignation

Post all Curious George's Redeemer Insanity {CG} content here!
*POTS*

My Resignation

Post by *POTS* » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:30 pm

Guys I've been thinking about this over and over...

I'm just done with the admin job. At first I was enthusiastic about the idea, but I've just realized it was becoming a full-time job for me, plus I feel like I've disappointed many of you guys. I really tried my best but no matter what I do I keep on committing mistakes. I also feel like I've hurted some friends in their feelings and I totally don't like that. The server set-up is pretty much complete and almost all of the maps work fine. If anybody is willing to take my place is more than welcome, and if you need help just ask me, I'll still be around.

POTS
Plain Old Telephone Service

Fuzz_Ball
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Re: My Resignation

Post by Fuzz_Ball » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:50 pm

POTS, my friend.
Do not take your work as an admin so seriously.
So, some of your friends don't get exactly what they want in a timely manner.
Whoop-dee-frickin'-doo! They'll still be your friends and will enjoy playing with you.
I may seem like I never pay attention to those who constantly tell me what "Should" be done, instead of asking, and this is true.
I took over UMH because I like to play the game. (well that and to SAVE the whole thing from Gopo's wrath :wink: ).

Just take everyone's comments lightly and only act on those requests that suit your ability and time demands.

To all other MHM'ers: Accept MHMIII as it is. Just play it. It's fine and needs no further work.

P.S., POTS, you now weild the Ban Hammer at FBF. Use it in good health and let me know whenever you do. :wink:
_ Image * * Image

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:06 pm

No please I'm not blaming the guys, it's just me, really. Maybe a couple of days of break will help clearing my mind. I have a strong headache today, and it doesn't help me thinking good.

Thanks for your message Fuzzy, and thanks also for the new account at FBF, I really really appreciate it very much.

Later all.

LePoLoo

Post by LePoLoo » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:39 am

In my opinion, any kind of action must keep being a pleasure along times. If you play too much and start to think you don't like the game anymore, just play less and the game becomes great again.

As I've been admining some servers for many time I can tell admining is the same thing.
If you don't like the way you do it, you can keep doing it but less... even very much less !

The pleasure of a well done job must pass through the fun you get back from the job/game.

Don't take a final decision if you're not sure : only do it from time to time.

only my opinion... if this can help
Too much lag ? go fishing...

}<(((((°>    }<(((((°>         }<(((((°>   }<(((((°>     }<(((((°>             }<(((((°>       Image

-SuPreMe-

Post by -SuPreMe- » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:22 am

I think you have done a great job with MHM3 Pots, too me its pretty much the perfect MH setup no spam, no overpowered weapons and a huge selection of maps. If people are still not satisfied then its them that have an issue not you.

Just dont feel pressured to cater for everyones needs have the server how you want it to be because you are the boss of MHM3 :)

Take a break, leave the server to just run freely for awhile, its the summer holidays for most so i dont think UT will be all that busy anyway.
-------.[ ]
---- -//|::|\\
----////| .|\\\\ <- 2 times the arms 2 times the awesomeness!
-------||||
-------||||
------..< >
{MHM}

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:35 am

You guys just have no idea how hard running a server is. It's easy to armchair things and say "Don't worry about it, just let it roll on. Ignore people. Don't pay attention."

Let me tell you the reality of it: You can't. Players will not let you. There is a near-constant barrage of "suggestions" and "complaints" and "fixes" that you get by email, messenger, and EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU PLAY. Pots and I talked a lot about this, but the truth of the situation caught him by surprise I think. Pots wants to make the server the best it can be and I totally understand that. Trivializing his feelings with "don't worry about it" is condescending at best. The guy worked his @ss off, recognize that before you lose him for good.

-SuPreMe-

Post by -SuPreMe- » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:33 am

I dont think its anywhere near as bad u make out gopo, all the barrages of suggestions and complaints you speak of are only as bad as you accept them to be, you can either obbsess over getting everything perfect and suited for everyone or you can simply have a laid back approach and only respond to meaningful and useful suggestions.

You make it all sound very sinister, they are just players they are not going to rip Pots's brain out for not adding a silly super weapon.

So ill stay with just sayin relax pots and dont let this server business overwelm you just enjoy making the server how u want it to be and have fun doing so.

and dont go anywhere cos we need an enthusiastic MHM3 admin :mrgreen:
-------.[ ]
-------||||
-------||||
------..< >
{MHM}

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:56 am

You are seeing it from the way you would look at it, not from the way Pots sees it. You have to understand he deeply cares about every little thing on the server and it's not in his make-up to just ignore stuff. Simple, off the cuff remarks about a weapon's fire rate or some weird behavior of the mod sets him in motion and he can't rest until it's "right". You have no idea the lengths he has went to learn so that he can make improvements or how many evenings we have spent in chat so he could understand everything he wants to know.

And yes it really is as "bad as I make it out to be". Pull some chat logs and scan through the chat directed at Pots. I think you'll be surprised at how much he gets bombarded, most times as soon as he's joined the server. You tire of that eventually, especially when he is as passionate as he is about perfection.

BIOMECH

Post by BIOMECH » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:38 am

So what are we expected to do?

We know POTS works very hard on the things he cares about, and it's great for all of us that the server is one of those things. The time and effort put into MHM3 seems to come largely from him, I know that, but what can we say beyond "take it easy"?

I know from experience that perfectionism is draining, and sometimes you just have to let it slide, if only for a while. It's not so much a compromise or defeat as a simple realisation that you're only human. I can only guess at how annoying it is to be bombarded by messages, the reason being that it's never happened to me and I've never done it to anyone else.

Yes, all we have to say are "armchair" remarks, but as you said yourself we have no experience of running a server. What we do know is that we care about POTS and want to express that somehow, not to act condescendingly. The average player is a predictable and tiresome liablity, and as admin of the server he can decide how to react to them.

Really, we're just trying to show support.

-SuPreMe-

Post by -SuPreMe- » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:39 am

Well what are u saying then?

It sounds like you putting pots to rest, perhaps remotivating him and letting him understand ways to overcome the overwelming server business would be a better thing to do.

Simple really dont let the server consume you let it be for wat it is, and all that good stuff lol.
I dont see how anything more can be done to the server, dont fix what aint broke.

Im done on this subject anyway lets just see how things roll out i guess.

EDIT: damn cows message didnt show when i replied with this. well written though cow.
-------.[ ]
-------||||
-------||||
------..< >
{MHM}

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:00 am

Yes, you can "let go" a bit *POTS*. :wink:
It seems to run fine.
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:04 am

Very nice last two posts guys. I really hope Pots reads them and listens.

-HellFire-

Post by -HellFire- » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:14 am

I don't have any complains at all about the server..
If I see the cow or anyone I join and have fun..
It has loads of maps, no spam and no super weapons or anything.
I see it as MHM with more maps..
+ the feigning death to get health and other extra's are fun too you can't find anywhere else.
The server is fine now (like supreme said).

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:24 am

I'm here and I've read every single message posted in this thread, and I appreciated them all very much. Thanks guys, I just think I need a break now, I'll be back soon, don't worry.

Reiyel_3.0

Post by Reiyel_3.0 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:41 pm

Just my 2 cents:

+ We could not have a greater admin than POTS. He cares about our server so much he's taking a lot of stress. As you have seen, everyone appreciates your work and everyone also appreciates YOU. And as i have told you in many private conversations, I appreciate you very much and I'm just simply amazed for all the things you do. You know I have nothing but respect for you.

+ It would not be the same without you. I would just stop paying for the server if you're not in charge. Don't break my heart, please don't leave us xD

:)
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.

Con una condición: que me dejes abierto el balcón de tus ojos de gata