The L word - "gasp"

Post all Curious George's Redeemer Insanity {CG} content here!
K
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
NoMoreSpam: Silver

The L word - "gasp"

Post by K » Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:38 pm

Yes, Its the L word, its the terror we know as Lag.
I just thought we should bring this up, cause it is an important subject.
If any one has played on the server when there was a full house you would know what i mean.

I'm not saying that it is unplayable, but . . .
It realy sux when you fire the shock rifle and your shot reaches the tatrget After it explodes.
It sux when players are glideing instead of running
It sux when there is a monster in the room but you cant see it and it is killing you. . . .

I was just wondering if there was any way we could give a slightly more bandwith to players. Or if any one knows of another solution we should explore it.

I just think the server should be the best.

twsted

Post by twsted » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:59 pm

well if he's running it from his home , i doubt that he's able to dish out any more than he already is , i dunno what Operating system he's using but when i was running my dm servers linux always provided my players with no lag as apposed to a windows server , but experience and or preference with certain Operating Systems 's is ones choice

Also sometimes a lot of extras play in lag also as they drag the servers resources down such as skins and other mods, sometimes running a bare minimum server is better than running one thats heavely loaded with mods , also having a webserver coming from the same ip and or box could be causing the lag , Lag is a tough thing sometimes unforunatly if your resources are those of a home system they are really tough to over come.

four in the ''thats my 2 cents''

Hermskii
Site Admin
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes

Talk to me

Post by Hermskii » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:59 pm

Keep on going about this. Are you noticing this today (Monday) or yesterday (Sunday)??? This is important because I have been messing with lag specific settings the last few days. I have been reading where a Net Tick Rate set higher improves the game for most at a cost of making my CPU on the server work harder BUT I hear doing this also punishes the 56k players too.

I have been swithing up the Max Client Rate the last few days too, looking for the sweet spot. When I set up the Net Tick Rate, pings start going up big time especially the 56kers. I had it up to 40 earlier. Then I though, what if I go the other way from the default 20 to say 15? SO I did and that is where it is right now. Since I made this change, pings have been pretty good when Ilook in to check. I asked players today (Monday) and they said all was great...

So tell me what and when you notice stuff please. Thanks! For the record, I have usually done just fine hosting up to about 16 people before the pings start spiking and the lag comes in. I see sometime when both servers are near full that the pings all jump up into the 400-600's. That is bad but since my last change, which is current as of today (Monday at noon) I have seen both servers fuul and the average ping is staying just over 100 which to me is great. Is the game play suffering though? I can't tell because when I connect, it connects me at LAN speed which is Net Tick Rate of 35.
~Peace~

Hermskii

dani

Post by dani » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:30 am

i usually have a pretty good experience but one map that i notice lag the most in is face. now i havent played it since yesterday but i will let you know if i notice it still. overall hermskii i think you do an awesome job and mhm is by far the best in my opinion.

K

Post by K » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:47 am

Ahh, you run both servers on the same machine? That could be a factor. I will keep my eyes open and record the times when it happens next time.
Note, it doesnt happen all the time, so it could be lagging only when both houses are full.

DARKMATTER

Post by DARKMATTER » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:06 am

From what i have watched on this (upto sunday hermskii) it seams only to lag when both servers are near to full or you get one player in with a ping of 700 or so then the pings over all rise.

Dark

Hermskii
Site Admin
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes

OK Good

Post by Hermskii » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:22 pm

Yes both servers run from one box. I have had as many as 5 before without issue except when they fill up. I've seen these ping spikes and that is why I'm making adjustments. I just looked in and see 8 of 8 on MHM and 7 of 8 on CG. I checked the pings and of all 15 players, 1 player had a ping higher than 200. The average looks to be about 130 from here. I have reduced the Max Lan Tick Rate setting to match internet speeds so now I should get a better feel of what it is like when ya'll play except my ping will be 0-10 or so. Sweet running my own servers!

I think that certain maps contribute as well. CG is a high packet server when you consider all of the huge explosions everywhere. MHM gets busy on maps like MH-Face where there are tons of monsters.

Over all, I'm happy with the settings I'm on right now I think. Keep watching and I appreciate all of your input!
~Peace~

Hermskii

K

Post by K » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:24 pm

You dont have an extra box lying around Herm, that you could put one server on?

I've got my server on one box, my other server & website/forum on another. They are both realy basic "just enough to run the servers well.