Lag Monitor

Post all Curious George's Redeemer Insanity {CG} content here!
DARKMATTER
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Post by DARKMATTER » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:44 am

have noticed since the lag monitor went on i got the shoot gun bullet leaves a second or so later type lag will see how it is today.

Dark

Hermskii
Site Admin
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes

Hmm?

Post by Hermskii » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:43 pm

The monitor doesn't cause lagg, it just measures it. I'm having all sorts of PC and network issues but the fact I'm here now means they should start to settle some. Let me know. Most people have reported a better ping than they have ever had.
~Peace~

Hermskii

K

Post by K » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:32 am

Ok , the ongoing struggle continues.

435am and i just got off the server:
Here are some SShots of the server and player pings.
The player count was only four, but i couldn't see half of the monsters or my shots most of the time. This is just not cool. But as i look at the pings of each player i see that two of them had pings over 300. Its realy crazie how that can effect it so much. I had pings at about 400 once, but it was because my roomate ws downloading torrents at the time, so i guess that has an effect on each players ping as well. I have found if i play with AIM turned off i get better pings too.

ImageImage

Hermskii
Site Admin

Uh

Post by Hermskii » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:13 pm

I'm at a loss. I'll look closure into this over the weekend. Should I remove the mod?
~Peace~

Hermskii

K

Post by K » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:42 pm

Takeing off the lag monitor mod?
Hmmmm
Well i dont think its realy fair that if your pings are high you get booted. But its also not fair for other people trying to play. It gives the server a bad name if its laggy all the time and people will stop playing on it.
Maybe we can look into other solutions?

The reason we are haveing lag problems is cause we are limited in bandwith for each player correct? I guess Herm is running this server from his home? How much more bandwith would we get if we rented a server and ran it like Rosebum?
first ten slots are public.
last six slots are pswrded when it gets full for people who help pay for the server. "guarenteed play"
But we would have to find the cheapest possible per person.
These highspeed connection servers would solve the lag problems wouldn't they? I truly think there are enough people playing MH that this could come to reality. I duno?

Does the machine itself have a factor in this? Would a faster machine with more ram help this situation? Cause I am down to pitch in and upgrade.

Having two servers on one machine might be a factor as well. I have a instagib server running right now, but nobody realy ever plays on it, and my Clan is pretty much all dead. I would love to Mirror the MHM server on my box. Give people two places to play. Might help the player load a little.
Just a suggestion.

Cefiros

Post by Cefiros » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:12 am

I wouldn't be sure about it being anything caused by other players or the lagmonitor...
MHM
Image can see the guns, but not any form of projectile

diff. server
Sweet mother of all channels differences! I'm thinking that that 1023-24 on MHM might be the maximum possible... and that one of the optimizations herm tried isn't meant for giant maps w/ 1000+ monsters.

K

Post by K » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:53 am

I dont know what the diference is between player ping and net ping, but your first example says 150 ping
other server says 78 ping

Even then though. 150 shouldn't be lagging that bad specialy with one player.

DARKMATTER

Post by DARKMATTER » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:28 am

hmm about not being able to see the monsters we played a map one of the godz not sure which and as we moved thru the monsters got harder and harder to see 4 players on non had ping higher then about 200 in the end we all got sick and voted for another map after that the same 4 players came back on with an additional player but the map played perfect work that one out.

Dark :roll: :roll: :roll:

Hermskii
Site Admin

Restore

Post by Hermskii » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:26 pm

The first thing I'll do is mark down my settings now. Then I'm going to restore to previous settings that were almost standard. Then I'll remove LagMon. You will see that it isn't my connection and it isn't the lagmon either. If anything, it is the settings I'm using.

Thanks for ideas Kort but the server is a ABIT KT7A Raid mobo with a XP2100 and 512mb PC133 CAS2 ram. This one machine has easily run 5 servers at once before. My point is it isn't the machine. Next is the connection which is a Standard Time Warner Cable Modem that gets about 3,500 down and 360 up. The connection can take up to about a grand total of 16 players depending on the maps on each server at the time. That's 8 players per server for sure. I've had more before but lagg does creep in quickly right around there especially if a player joins and has a crap connection speed. That all said, it isn't anything I have hardware wise causing issues. I won't ever rent a server but I sopprt your effort if ya'll want to do it with your own server. I will stick to this box on this connection where I alone control everything and do whatever I want whenever I want. It is the only way to go.

OK, nuff said. Later all!
~Peace~

Hermskii

K

Post by K » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:51 pm

The Saga continues. . . . . .

the endless battle to make the MHM server work reliably and propperly,LOL

Just an update, I was wondering if you had reverted the settings to the way they used to be yet? I went on the server last night with a ping of 45. I was bymyself and i could not see most monsters or my shots. Just wondering if anything is in the works to fix the server . . . Its realy not fun to play on most of the time now.

I remember not to long ago before we started getting bad lag problems , the server ran VERRY WELL! Without a glitch most of the time. Do you have any record of your settings from back then Herm?

Hermskii
Site Admin

Yep

Post by Hermskii » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:15 pm

Yes, I already put it back to the original settings.
~Peace~

Hermskii

dani

Post by dani » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:48 am

i havent benn on as much lately since reformatting and trying to get my 2nd pc to work well with ut but when i have been on i havent experienced any problems whatsoever. good ping, lots of players, and can see the monsters fine.