Beagle

Please introduce yourself here. Follow the directions in the sticky named "Hermskii"
Beagle
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Beagle

Post by Beagle » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:26 am

OK, so I've joined the forum... as someone noted, I might not be a real forum kind of person but I'll try to contribute at least occasionally.

I've been playing this game for a long time- I've had several names besides Beagle, principally Toons and Meerkat. As Toons I was a member of the DOU clan (Silent Bob was also for awhile at the same time). I had a moment back then when I abruptly and unceremoniously stopped playing and participating, even removed the game from my computer so I wouldn't be tempted to play. After a few years I started playing again, but virtually only redeemer. I find sniper (DOU's main game) too slow and tedious, and I never got the hang of fumbling around with the collection of standard weapons.

I used to play on DOU's non-sniper server- Bob and I used to go there for the Uzi mod (he'd almost always clean my clock), but we liked the fast pace of the game. I also really like team games including freeze tag and jail break, but it seems like I'm pretty much alone in that regard. Bob certainly didn't like teams, and hated freeze tag- that waiting to unfreeze made him crazy :). At one time DOU had a UT2K4 server set up for jail break- I liked that a lot. Don't remember what happened to it.

Personally, I'm a retired electrical engineer (just retired from Intel a few months ago). I was an applications engineer helping the multinationals (IBM, HP, Dell, Lenovo) design their computing platforms. One of the last projects I supported is the HP Z1 all-in-one workstation, a really sweet piece of equipment, just launched last month.

I know virtually nothing about UT- I don't know how to map, I don't know how to tailor the configuration file, I haven't a clue how cheats work or how to recognize if anyone is cheating- I just play the game. I tend to be a "hide-and-guide" kind of player, but I enjoy all the mods on CG and Crossbones, and of late have been using the TL a bit to move about somewhat more briskly.

I'm married, have a couple of really great kids in college, and generally am trying to figure out how best to be retired (other than playing UT 24/7)!

There are a couple of folks out there who I will not play with, and every now and then I come across a player with an excessively foul mouth or foul attitude that will drive me away. But all the regular players here- a very pleasant group of folks!

David
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No

Re: Beagle

Post by David » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:35 am

Nice!!!!!!! Welcome Beagle. I would argue about your statement you made by stating that you are a "hide and glide" player. You jump and use your trans like crazy, especially on the manor farm we recently played. After you pounded me several times, I was like a slow dog chasing an agile cat and then you, and other I might add, just pounded me more. You would think I would be wiser and wait for you to bounce towards me, but no I had to give chase....Anyway I have always enjoyed playing on the servers with you. You have been supportive and greeted me when I come to the server when you are playing.

Something of interest for me is that you stated that you retired from Intel. My dad worked for Intel for years and he was an electrical engineer (I believe that was his title). The bad thing for him was that he worked for a lot of companies like Intel, Motorola, Microchip, and etc. When he got tired of the upper command politics, he would move on to the next job. It was bad because if he would have stayed with Intel, and retired like he should have, he would had a better retirement. A lot of up and downs in that field. He was caught in the layoffs in the 80's at Motorola. He is retired now, but not as well as he should of with all the years and work he put into it.

I worked at Intel for a short time in early 90's in Oregon as a security officer with Pinkerton.

Anyways, WELCOME. Now when I or others make a comment about you, you'll will at least know for yourself by reading it here. But of course, I know of only good things. Take care.
Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:27 pm

Greets Beagle. It is great to have you here. I'm glad you decided to show up up and even more glad you did it just the way I prefer people to do it...here in the Welcome to the show forum. I'm also glad you told everyone you were meerkat. I did not know you were toons or as grown up as you are. I never knew Bob did anything else but Here and Hook's place.

I did know lots of the other stuff you mentioned. It is extra cool that you like most of us and our servers. I'm anxious to hear about who you won't play but if you want or need to keep that private I understand. I don't think there is anyone I won't play but I know when I played more DM there were names I was not glad to see join the game so I know what you are talking about there.

You are older and more professionally experience than I ever would have thought. I'd say more but I'm off to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo! Alan Jackson will be singing tonight. This will be my kids' first rodeo. My wife and I haven't been in a few years. We got some VIP seats for the 4 of us so we should have a great time. World Championship Bull-Riding is tonight too.

Thanks for joining us Beagle. You don't have to talk much or often but you have to understand that nothing gets this place revved up more than long time players being new members here and telling us what you think. I also hope to hear suggestions for improvements and all of that. You're welcome to say whatever you want to whoever you want about anything so long as you keep in the rules. and try your best to be polite and such. Talk to you more later. Welcome to the show!
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:40 pm

I just had to pop back in again to stress how happy I am to have somebody like Beagle around here. And Beagle, tonight I may send you a PM (private message) in regards to some things I have some questions about that you may have answers to. Did I mention one of my dogs is a beagle> His name is Buddy. Buddy the beagle. Lol. He is awesome dog and a bad dog and a good dog and just an everything dog.

How'd did you pick the Beagle? Why the name change? Hook and I hate it when people change their names but not if there is good solid resoning behind it. Are you still associated with DOU? I have lots of questions abou tthem as well. Peace out! How old are you old timer? I'm a 44 year old puppy.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hook
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:58 pm

Yeah, DITTO what these other guys said... :wink:
I remember those other names you had years ago, especially Meerkat.

Oh cool...
One of the last projects I supported is the HP Z1 all-in-one workstation
I just bought an HP Omni all-in-one computer - love it! (albeit not the same as what you mentioned I bet)

And...
I also like some Team UT games, and we have done them on CLD and CMM before.
I actually have been thinking about adding a TDM (team DM game) for 1 or 2 of the PirateDeemers like the Thompson and or the Stinger II or something.
CTF was good with the stinger II - we did that for a while back too.

Thanks for joining us here. :P

PS: you should also join the Gamer's group at HUTP for Game Night notice emails if nothing else - Thanks!
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

Beagle

Post by Beagle » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:17 pm

This may be a bit long, but I'll reply to you all in this post.

Thanks, David. I only recently began using the TL more aggresively- my natural tendency is to find a good spot and guide, but other players (like Pandemonium) using the TL will rip me up, especially on stinger where I can't guide, or on open maps like Tiger Hunt where there is lots of sky. Silent Bob, of course, is highly skilled in the use of
the TL, but we seem to have lost him. Too bad, I've always enjoyed playing against him over the years. Averagejoe is another player who has been improving markedly in his use of the TL.

I understand your father's inclination to move on- I experienced that myself. I used to joke that Intel had an uncanny penchant for wringing all the joy from engineering. I believe that to be a common affliction of all large engineering organizations, and those organizations continue to fail at resolving it. The sheer size and global nature of these companies works against them. Intel has many very skilled and brilliant engineers, but they are often hampered by the way the organization functions. It is quite frustrating.

I appreciate the kind words. I like playing with folks who understand that this is just a game, a fun pasttime. Years ago, I was discouraged with the low level of sportsmanship and snotty attitudes that I experienced on the servers where I played. Then I encountered the DOU clan, and found a community of players that didn't tolerate that
kind of behavior. It made all the difference, and that was my home for some time. I especially liked Silent Bob, who was always gracious, and who shared his skills willingly. I never quite reached his level of skill, but it wasn't for lack of trying on his part. I think it's mostly because I don't like working up a sweat when I play, so I lack a certain requisite intensity.

I always enjoy a game with you, and the other regulars here. It's a disappointment to have a few moments to play and find none of you on. You probably have lives, or something...
------------------
Hermskii, thanks for the welcome. I'll try not to fade into the woodwork. I understand not liking players changing their names. After my several year hiatus, it just seemed I should play under a different name. I tried a few different ones, stuck with Meerkat for awhile, and then Beagle just seemed right, so I've been using that for quite awhile now. I see on Gametracker that there have been other players that have used Beagle, but I suppose it's unlikely we'll ever run into them.

We have three dogs, a beagle, a shiba inu, and a collie. There is something really endearing about the beagle. The name just stuck with me, kind of humorous, like the dog itself with its floppy ears, baleful eyes and ravenous appetite- and I can't see myself with a moniker like Destructoman or DeathDealer or Master_of_the_Galaxy. Probably all used by someone...

As to those I won't play, there are only two who come to mind. If you are curious, I'll tell you in confidence, but I don't care to stir the stuff here. I am quite sure I play one of them occasionally anyway, because he uses different names. His behavior is unmistakable, I think. I see them both on Meat's server, or at least I used to. I don't play Meat's by choice. Generally, I don't like the maps there (too big), and the ambience is different (read "don't like it as much").

Age? Hmmm, let's just say I'm old enough to be your father... :)
-------------------------------
Hook, thanks also for the welcome. The Omni is a different computer, but the form factor is the same. They are actually from different divisions of HP. The Z1 is from the workstation group and the Omni is from the desktop group. The intended market of the two products is different- the Omni is aimed at home and office use, and the Z1 is for users doing things like computer modeling and CAD. So the workstation has a much larger display (27"), ECC memory, supports Intel vPro features, etc. The Omni should be a really nice machine also.

I'd definitely be interested in team play if you add that to the server. Of course, team play is fun only if we can get enough players interested and able to play at the same time. And either Thompson or stinger would be great TDM weapons.

Beagle

Post by Beagle » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:29 pm

Hook, I just took a look at the Omni specs- I see it can be purchased with a 27" display also. I'm guessing that the other difference is that the Intel-based Omnis are using Sandy Bridge processors, and the Z1 is using the current generation Ivy Bridge processors. In theory, HP could have designed the Omni motherboard to accept Ivy Bridge processors as well, so it's possible that those will show up as well.