Fix These Maps!

Post all mapping and skinning related content here!
Hermskii
Site Admin
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Fix These Maps!

Post by Hermskii » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:11 pm

OK, here is the deal: You know of a map that would be good except blah blah blah. Well, this topic is for you.

Tell us the following:

Map name
Description of map issue
Description of what might make it better

Then just stand by and see if somebody will take your idea and do it.

The main thing is making sure the original mapper is conacted and approves of changes to be made "if possible" and if so "we" have to use a good and proper renaming convention to ensure zero mismatches. I'll start by breaking the rules but posting something from Prowner that a few others agreed needed to be addressed:

(Prowner said)
Speaking of maps, I want one removed!! It bothers me because of the darn boss that's nearly impossible, and that would be the "Sector Alpha" or whatever it's called. There's this green transparent Skaarj that's hard to see, and he shoots the ASMD shock cells that are easy to get hit by, and it does a CRAP load of damage, and it knocks you across the room, and it makes your screen flash making it hard to find him again, and he shoots fast, and he can go in the spawn room that's VERY small, AND there's TWO of them!!! Not the least bit fair! They both have loads of health, and I lost 21 lives without killing a single one of them and thats when i decided I was through with that map! I don't usually lose my temper on these things, but THAT is just ridiculous!!! Please please PLEASE just remove it or maybe someone can download the map and make adjustments to them so it's at LEAST fair! Sorry for yelling...

(Hermskii says) Somebody post the name of that map again please since I copied Prowner's from another topic where they had already identified it. Tell us what needs to be done to fix it once and right.
~Peace~

Hermskii

-HellFire-

Re: Fix These Maps!

Post by -HellFire- » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:44 am

MH-USSR_Volkov-SectorAlpha2.
Very nice map only the skaarjs are hard indeed.
Still I think it's not worth removing.
With a team of 5 you have a nice challenge against them.

-SuPreMe-

Post by -SuPreMe- » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:30 am

I agree with Hellfire the map is fine, so its alittle hard at the end, dont be wussies :lol:
-------.[ ]
---- -//|::|\\
----////| .|\\\\ <- 2 times the arms 2 times the awesomeness!
-------||||
-------||||
------..< >
{MHM}

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:55 pm

Sounds good then. Even I know what maps not to try to play by myself usually. It is frustrating though when you try your face off just to get slaughtered and there is not enough players to help.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:02 pm

Here is another complaint about a map I found by accident:

It's SkyLand 1.

The players spawn in the water and have to swim for the shore, where they find a pulse gun. The entire island is incredibly plain looking and covered with respawning Krall, tough Skaarj scouts, and Skaarj assassins which move at incredible speed, much faster than a pulse projectile. A simple roll takes them about a third-way along the beach. Past this are several titans and queens.

Inside is a dark cave, with a titan guarding a room at the top. As soon as you enter the room it becomes your next spawnpoint, making you respawn in there even though it's full of Skaarj with flak cannons and mercenaries. Fully charged bio glops also rain from the ceiling, spawnkilling you.

Up past the flak tentacles is a darkened room with a tough mini-titan
Next up is an underwater area full of fish, squid, and slith that shoot razor blades. It's also so dark you need a searchlight.
Armed with the short-range flak cannons from the last spawnpoint, pulse guns not being given again, the players emerge into a wide open area filled with Skaarj soldiers. As you can see, one of them also has an instagib rifle. This "Kichagai!" is the bossmonster, he has plenty of health and enjoys gibbing the players as they swim upwards through the pool. You're then subjected to a run of about a minute to get back to the action, whereupon you are instagibbed and get to do it again.
Then there's the map end on an altar inside a hill. I'm not sure if the map deserves deleting or not, but in my opinion it's pretty bad.

So there you have it folks. Discuss and decide if somebody is gonna fix it. BIOMECH is the complainer for this one.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Blood Asp

Post by Blood Asp » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:41 am

I Guess i could edit the amount that spawn, and put a few "killswitches"
If someone enters the cave then the monsters around the island will stop spawning altogether. And probably edit the monsters stats to make them less fast.

The Flak Cannon Skaarj could be edited to use weaker Flaks *Like a noob Bot in DM "Fires less Chunks"*

Some extra lighting should also do the trick, and the bio goop from the celing sounds like a simple remove/move.

BIOMECH

Post by BIOMECH » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:26 am

Sounds like a good set of changes. I'd join in myself but I'm being selfish and working on my Unreal conversions. And anyway, you seem to enjoy making things :wink:

Blood Asp

Post by Blood Asp » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:49 am

Well, first some1 send me the map and all files needed to view it *using a totally clean copy of UT so dont have ANY files.*

and i will get going on it.

i wont have much time to work on it since im a working man now so yeh :lol:

but it will get done in some time :)

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:05 am

Let me inject something here too...

It's incredibly easy to mess up the packages by editing maps. This is no affront to EA or any of the other mappers, it's just a fact. I'm not a huge fan of War_Master but he has a valid point when he says it's unneeded to make yet another version of an MH map to simply change a few things.

Here's an offer: I am currently clear of projects. If you'd like I can make a mod based on Bodens that will let you designate maps then monsters to alter. It will work the same way as Bodens does for maps but instead of gravity you can plug in monster names and then adjust health. This way you can "tweak" maps to your liking all day long without messing them up or making new versions that just clutter up the maps landscape.

For instance the ini file would look like this:
Entry(1)=MH-Akemi;Tentacle7=50;Warlord3=200

Meaning each time map Akemi loads it will force tentacle 7 to have 50 health instead of the 3000 it was stupidly given, etc, etc, etc. You can grab the monsters map name from editor, it's very simple. Unwanted monsters can be set to =Destroy and I'll remove them completely. Any setting can be included if health is not the only thing. I can alter drawscale, location, anything.

Just an offer....

BIOMECH

Post by BIOMECH » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:03 am

Ah...Wow...

That would work too... :o

-SuPreMe-

Post by -SuPreMe- » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:33 pm

hmm that could also fix cows monster health issues on his conversions
-------.[ ]
---- -//|::|\\
----////| .|\\\\ <- 2 times the arms 2 times the awesomeness!
-------||||
-------||||
------..< >
{MHM}

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:35 pm

Now see! Here we go again with great discussion and action options. This is just going to make me cry like a little girl if you folks keep this up. Sniffle.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Blood Asp

Post by Blood Asp » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:52 pm

OMG! HERMSKII IS GETTING ALL EMOTIONAL!!

NOW IS TEH TIME TO START WARRR!!!

hahaa, i jokes, anyway, i still need the map if anyone wants it changed :P u can send the file over to me on MSN or upload it somewhere and i'll download it. Or does it not want editing anymore? :P

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:11 pm

I'll send it Friday night if nobody does before me. You'll talk to the original mapper or try to at least first right?
~Peace~

Hermskii

BIOMECH

Post by BIOMECH » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:26 am

Hermskii wrote:Now see! Here we go again with great discussion and action options. This is just going to make me cry like a little girl if you folks keep this up. Sniffle.
Darn it Hermskii you make me feel all inadequate when you do that. I seem to be the only one who doesn't contribute stuff :(