noob question on monster attacking

Post all mapping and skinning related content here!
gopostal

noob question on monster attacking

Post by gopostal » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:47 pm

It's something simple and stupid I'm missing I'm sure but I am still not figuring it out. Anyone help? Here's what's happening:

I make a simple trigger>creature factory> spawnpoint and place it in my map. Everything works fine but the monsters just act "asleep" until I nudge them. Flys spawn but most (90%) of them simply drop to the floor instead of "fly"ing around (couldn't resist). I tweaked the factory settings some but nothing seems to get them going. Is this a simple "Hey stupid, do this" answer?

Scify

Re: noob question on monster attacking

Post by Scify » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:11 pm

bFalling: When true, anything spawned from this factory will automatically fall to the ground. Change this to false if you are spawning flying monsters such as Manta.
http://www.planetmonsterhunt.com/mappin ... ocId773654
" If I had a brain, I'd be dangerous!"

Blood Asp
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Post by Blood Asp » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:52 pm

Creature factories are pretty unreliable, i usually would use a thingfactory

Also another reason could be that if u placed a base monster into the map then coded a new monster and added it to the creature factory that often screws things up i found *as in Asmodeus_Aion* the monsters act asleep because i coded custom pupae to change their speed and *Apparantly* their agressiveness, so theres some possibilites for u.

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:13 pm

EA that's almost exactly what I did too, what you described. It's getting late now so I'll strip the monsters out tomorrow and retry. I'll post back when I see.

Sci I did try that setting, in fact I tried a great number of them to no avail. There is something in the code not setting aggression or setenemy correctly. Yay, something else to fix....

Scify

Post by Scify » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:10 pm

:cry:
" If I had a brain, I'd be dangerous!"

Blood Asp
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Post by Blood Asp » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:53 am

have you sorted this out?

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:00 am

This map is going to be friggin huge (long). What I was going to do was get each section to about 75% then move on to the next, with a final tidy-up later. I think to preserve flow better, I'll do all the bsp work first for now. The map consists of two very distinct sections and there is a need to "tease" one from the other so you just don't know what to expect. This is going to take a while to get right because the fun-ness of the map hinges on revealing things in proper time and sequence. I don't have Andromeda-level mapping skills but expect some "whoa" moments....

So to answer you, no it's not sorted. I actually removed the factories and custom scripted pawns I made (for now). Before that I did check and the settings are identical to other working factories in other maps so your suggestion seems even more likely to be correct. Rest assured I will tear apart the factory code and fix this if it is indeed the problem.

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:22 pm

@ EA:

I did a quick factory replace with standard monsters and you are quite correct. Using standard monsters does make it work correctly. I took it a step further and compiled my monsters into an external package and that also works. Placing the monsters in mylevel though caused them to freeze again. This is related to the NOFF monster problem I had and never got a solution for, so I guess I'll settle for creating a separate package.

Thank you for the heads up on this. I'd have driven myself crazy trying to figure it out.