MH-IndianaJones...oh yes, here we go again

Post all mapping and skinning related content here!
gopostal

MH-IndianaJones...oh yes, here we go again

Post by gopostal » Sun May 16, 2010 11:35 am

I was chatting with Pots last night about a (seemingly) unrelated problem and it occured to me that I never really fixed the Indy map. Let me do a quick lesson to explain what's wrong, and what I need from you to fix it.

All the antiboosts I have used and made all ask for certain things from the player. It needs some info to know whether or not to remove the damage. All damage given in the game has a property called "instigated by". If you are shot by a skaarj, he is the instigator. If you get smashed by a mover, the mover is the instigator. If you shoot rockets at your feet and splash yourself, you are the instigator.

The antiboost asks if the instigator is a player and if it is it denies the damage. Sounds simple enough but here's the rub: When a player hits a trigger, the trigger carries the player as the "instigator" and this is handed over to the thing being triggered. In the Indy map the blades are started by a trigger in the hallway. Since the blades inherit the "instigated by" property from the trigger, the blade now is unable to hurt you because the antiboost stops it. In fact there are multiple instances where this is happening (pomp system flames, etc).

OK, now how do I fix this? Well, I'm not sure. I tried recoding triggers, dispatchers, and movers but it doesn't work and honestly it might screw up the online play. What I need from you guys is examples where something triggered DOES in fact kill you with antiboost on. For example in MH-Lemmings the wires shock you dead and the lightning at the end also does. Sadly, both won't work for what we need but that's the idea here. Can you think of things that will kill you when you are the one making it happen?

*POTS*

Re: MH-IndianaJones...oh yes, here we go again

Post by *POTS* » Sun May 16, 2010 1:46 pm

Hard question... Let me think... I'm quite sure some elevators can kill you even if the antiboost is on. Supreme told me it has to do with the "encroach" properties or something like that. Sadly I can't remember a map where that thing happens. :(
Plain Old Telephone Service

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Sun May 16, 2010 3:42 pm

The mod is supposed to attempt to change the mover properties. Certain movers that cycle back and forth I attempted to stop from smashing you. It's not a fool-proof method though. I'd like to find something that isn't mover related that kills you when triggered if possible.

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Sun May 16, 2010 4:19 pm

What about pressure zones? Oh wait I think those don't work as well.
Hey one sec, I think I found it! Supa do you remember that map with the Sushi gun? I think it's called MH-EelhandraTemple. Well you have to grab a key or something to unlock a gate but a "lightning" instantly kills you, regardless of the antiboost settings.

Anyway AFAIK only acid and lava zones are 100% reliable. :?

[Edit]
Found one more in MH-Treasure2DX, but it's just a crusher, so a mover I suppose.

MH-EelhandraTemple

MH-Treasure2DX

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Sun May 16, 2010 6:48 pm

OK I fixed HermMod so that it works now with Indy. I'll need to test this out though so that I don't inadvertantly create a way for players to kill each other. I allowed "crushed" to damage a player now no matter the antiboost settings. No weapons use this damage type (that I know of) so any triggered crush damage will now always kill you (IE the spinning blades). This may make some movers go back to killing you if you arent centered on them though, so lets test it out and see.

Pots the Eelhandra map uses an invis mover to smash you. This isn't really the way I want to go with this. For instance it won't fix the Pomp system flames. I need to find a way to unhook the triggered damage from the player being the "instigator" cause.

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Sun May 16, 2010 7:42 pm

OK, problem is sorted. Herm here is the updated mod:
HermModv2.zip
Now I need some help. In order to preserve the antiboost properties I had to adjust it to allow the damage type "Crushed". I ran some tests and it works just fine BUT I need some mapping help to finalize everything.

If you are a mapper and want to ensure damage is done to a player even if they trigger the damage, use "Crushed" as the damage type. A few of the maps need to be adjusted too. FuusenBallon is a good example. The pressure zone at the bottom needs to have the zoneactor damage type set to "Crushed" and it will work just fine with the upgraded antiboost. I'd like to propose maps getting this treatment get the tag "{AB}" added at the end for anti-boost-fixed. Maybe we could start a thread of maps with things that are borked? The fix is easy, and even though I'm not a huge fan of map altering, I just cannot see a way out of this box without it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hermskii
Site Admin
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Post by Hermskii » Sun May 16, 2010 10:24 pm

So you are saying that the Herm mod I have does not kill players as they run through the blades on Indy? I thought all of this was resolved about a year back?
~Peace~

Hermskii

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Sun May 16, 2010 11:08 pm

OK I installed the NoBoostv4a, but the blades in Indiana don't work yet. Not sure if the problem is related to the map, since the one I have on the server is named MH-IndianaJones{fix1} :roll:

Code: Select all

AssertMover MH-IndianaJones{fix1}.AssertMover0 (Function UnrealShare.AssertMover.DoClose:003A) Accessed array out of bounds (-1/6)
AssertMover MH-IndianaJones{fix1}.AssertMover1 (Function UnrealShare.AssertMover.DoClose:003A) Accessed array out of bounds (-1/6)
AssertMover MH-IndianaJones{fix1}.AssertMover0 (Function UnrealShare.AssertMover.DoClose:003A) Accessed array out of bounds (6/6)
AssertMover MH-IndianaJones{fix1}.AssertMover1 (Function UnrealShare.AssertMover.DoClose:003A) Accessed array out of bounds (6/6)

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Sun May 16, 2010 11:14 pm

OK in a nutshell here's where things are:

Antiboost stops the blades from killing you. In the Hermmod there is a section to *force a mover to kill you* that we added the movers in indy to. This effectively lets the blades once again kill you BUT the cups still don't at the end. Actually the problem is still the same with the cups (see above explanation) so the Hermmod was only a "patch" fix.

In this update I fixed the damage type so now you don't have to list things in the Hermmod to allow them (which won't always work since some aren't movers, like the pomp system and the indy cups).

I know this all sounds obtuse but the end result is that now if you find ANYTHING in a map that SHOULD kill you but doesn't because of the antiboost, a simple change to the damage type will now make it good to go. If you want, buzz me and I'll explain over the phone in more detail.

@ POTS: Someone needs to edit the map to fix three things:
1. Make those geared movers damage type to "Crushed".
2. The cups at the end need the damage set in the special event to "Crushed".
3. The monster end needs it's drawscale set to .00001 so you don't see it on the right cup.

Edit: Did the map myself. Here ya go, all that was altered was damage type and I hid the monsterend.
MH-IndianaJones.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Mon May 17, 2010 2:40 pm

Got the map, thank you.

BTW may you (re)send me a copy of the MH-WarshipSuperNova map with the endfix? I know the flames are not working yet, but at least I could use that version as a "placeholder".

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Mon May 17, 2010 5:54 pm

Pots it's in /GP on my ftp server. I'll try to work on the flames tonight. It's an easy fix now, but I'm a little pressed for time.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Mon May 17, 2010 7:27 pm

Shouldn't the fixed Indy map have a different name now since it is no longer original? Won't there be file mismatches?
~Peace~

Hermskii

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Mon May 17, 2010 8:05 pm

Don't worry gopo, relax a bit, we're not in a hurry, I don't wanna press you at all. Thanks for all the updates and your hard work.

@ Hermskii: the zipped archive is not renamed, but the map itself has been renamed to MH-IndianaJones{ab} so it's fine to me.

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Mon May 17, 2010 8:08 pm

It's no problem Pots. Now that I know how to deal with it properly, I'm kind of excited to put this bug to rest.

@ Herm: The zip file name is just a placeholder. The zipped map is properly named. I should have been more clear.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Mon May 17, 2010 10:09 pm

Thanks. You know I'm a frek about crap like that. LOL. If it is a bag and it says Washington apples I expect to open it and find Washington apples and not Granny Smith apples.
~Peace~

Hermskii