MH mapping naming conventions...

Post all mapping and skinning related content here!
Hermskii
Site Admin
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes
NoMoreSpam: Silver

MH mapping naming conventions...

Post by Hermskii » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:37 am

I was sitting here this morning thinking about a discussion I'm having with Feralidragon. It is about how new mods in MH can effect gameplay so much that they can make old MH developmental ideas and especially maps useless. Can you imagine playing MH-Canyon with a player that regenerates everything so fast that he basically could not die unless he gets shot in the head by a Skaarj Sniper?

Somehow, that brought me around to thinking about when/if I ever start mapping. I know it is certainly something I want to dabble in. I was thinking about the AI of the bots and how I feel I have a understanding of how it might work and the importance of mappers to make bot paths. Then that brought me to the naming of the maps. I thought people already put in stuff in their server names like ZARK or UTJMH or INSTA just to give you a heads up about that server and what runs on it. I thought it would be neat to have something like that in a map name to indicate that bots can not only finish the map but can show you the hidden secrets in a map as well such as hidden super weapons and other pick ups. If it were me making the map, I would make sure to build this support into the map and indicate it in the name. The trick being to get the mapping community to follow along. Example MH-MonsterHuntMapNameAI or MH-MonsterHuntMapNameBots or MH-MonsterHuntMapName(something here to indicate the map can be finished by the bots). Maybe even something like MH-MonsterHuntMapNameNoBots to indicate that the path work and the AI is not built in. Now one step further, In map vote set up columns based on whether the maps can be used with or without bots effectively.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hook
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Re: MH mapping naming conventions...

Post by Hook » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:32 am

You have some good points here.
One thing to ponder here though is that generally maps SHOULD be set up with Bot Pathing done in them as a standard, thus nothing Should be needed in the map name to indicate that bots can handle the map.
What Should be done is maps that do NOT have bot support should be so indicated in the name.
All other maps (with bot support) should just use the map's name. :wink:
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:12 pm

Hmmm, so it could name it like this: MH-MonsterHuntMap-b or -pathing or something. Just do SOMETHING people! LOL.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:24 pm

Hermskii wrote:Hmmm, so it could name it like this: MH-MonsterHuntMap-b or -pathing or something. Just do SOMETHING people! LOL.
With No bot support call it something like: MH-MonsterHuntMap_NB ("NB" = No Bots)

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:16 pm

That works for me!
~Peace~

Hermskii

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:42 am

AGREE ! In fact, I replaced some maps with real problem (I keep my mouth closed about this), with some remods from CTF. What is about ? Maps with a decent load of monsters, containing bot support with sufix _AI.unr, or others _R.unr. _R.unr maps means for me my revision I mean containing paths for a better monster move (BumpOpenTimed - in unwanted zones is replaced with StandOpenTimed according to http://unreal.epicgames.com/UT_AI.htm chapter Adding Support for Lifts, they don't have really complete bot support (sometimes I'm thinking to a lazy player, will camp watching bots finishing map doing nothing). For me, is not so hard to put bot support in maps with normal ground, not maps with hundreds of actors because A.I. (any) will be blind.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:13 am

Welcome to the show Nelsona! I was wondering when you were going to post something here. So you are a mapper? That is great! We love mappers here! More on all of this later.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hook

Post by Hook » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:10 pm

Hermskii wrote:Welcome to the show Nelsona! I was wondering when you were going to post something here. So you are a mapper? That is great! We love mappers here! More on all of this later.
Ditto Nelsona - WELCOME!

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:24 pm

First, should be: Appologise for my English, I don't have many skills in handling english.

Let's say I'm not really a mapper but I didn't loved too much bad maps to be in my server or any other server. Usually, I observed some admins keeping 700 maps just for number not for quality. For me, things are a bit different, if something is working nasty, is removed or modified. And this is happening because I considered that map as a corrupted file that needed to be fixed after a recover from a bad sector. I tell this as a joke or not, when I see troubles, immediately I open editor and I do a fixation. Maybe I'm a bit mad, but I cannot stop to put some A.I. support each time when is possible. Results: Map is found with sufix _R or _AI, this latest one containing full bot support. I test this support 3 times in a local practice to be sure about is working. To accelerate testing process I give some commands, and then I watch the bot with F5 and behindview 0, also I'm interested about Verbose to see what is thinking the bot.

Based on this activity in my editor version, I'm not so satisfied about StakeOut states. As result, I made other MH version with some improvements at A.I. Monsters and Bots received interdiction at StakeOut states, and also I had an attempt to remove retreating (I don't like chikens). I recompiled other MH game-mod. As long as the name of the game is still MonsterHunt is heavy to hack MonsterWaypoint to work as needed, something is still interfere with original MH and this is piss me off. Only other name like MonsterHunt_R or any is make possible to deliver a really bot support in MH (tested). I always loved a coop play with bots because if you want them to cover you they follow orders without any comment, in masterfull skill they are really warriors.
Of course if we check some codes of FindSpecialAttractionFor(Bot aBot) from monsterhunt, is a bit messed up. I changed CanSee(S) with LineOfSightTo(S), also aBot.Enemy=S; with aBot.SetEnemy(S);. Results a Bit or a Mbit different, is a real war between 2 A.I. sides. But, I don't think is very OK to spam forum with my madness. I just wanted to tell you about MonsterHunt that could be programmed much better.
I needed maps for testing mod, I considerred as being necesary to have a few different options for testing. Common maps and simple maps (not many movers), just an open battlefield, different monsters to check Skaarj, Tentacles, etc.

We can talk more only if you want ! Thanks for attention !

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:35 pm

Yes, we will talk more. I have to put my kids to bed first though. Peace!
~Peace~

Hermskii