Monster Hunt & Monster Arena

Post all mapping and skinning related content here!
EvilGrins
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Monster Hunt & Monster Arena

Post by EvilGrins » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:47 am

When Monster Hunt first came out it included a 2nd gametype with it: Monster Arena. Same basic concept with a slight variation. MH maps tend to involve gameplay where you fight monsters while trying to achieve a certain goal/mission, whereas MA involves fighting past an assortment of other monsters in order to kill a Boss monster.

When I first got Monster Hunt I didn't have internet access.

Since playing online I've learned 2 things:

1) For whatever number of reasons, Monster Arena didn't catch on. I've got a tab for it on my server browser but nobody is ever playing it.

2) The Monster Hunt games I've played seem a mix of both gametypes. Either to achieve a goal or get and kill the Boss.

My question is this: Are the maps significantly different from each other or will changing the 'MA' prefix to 'MH' enable easy gameplay with everything functioning normally?

Nelsona

Re: Monster Hunt & Monster Arena

Post by Nelsona » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:24 am

Can be a difference since MonsterHunt for end a game is using a trigger named MonsterEnd meant to end a game named MonsterHunt.

MonsterHuntArena is using a different trigger to end other game, named MonsterArenaEnd meant to finish the game.

If anyone know more about this or if I described something wrong here, please post the right thing.

Taking notice at what is mean MonsterHunt vs MonsterHuntArena, that Arena is more close to a DM against monsters. MonsterHunt as game-type in a little manner is looking like an Assault game, guarded by monsters.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:45 pm

If irecall, I tried to set up a MH arena server too but it would not list on the MA tab. I think that tab can not be used anymore.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:05 pm

Maybe is required a check if the browser is correctly done, if is a mistake I can make another seeker maybe MonsterSeeker2. In first version I asked what any other games with monsters I can add, nobody answered and I forgot some Ecoop games to be added in browser. My mistake, I appologise, I tried to make an AllInOne seeker TABs for all games with monsters, but I skipped Ecoop section.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:48 pm

Don't worry about it. Nobody played MA so nobody will either. Unless they have your program they won't be able to see it also. All to play MA is just not worth it I don't think. I may even be wrong. the MA game type may be seen from the master server tabs. I can't recall for sure.
~Peace~

Hermskii

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:48 pm

Nelsona wrote:In first version I asked what any other games with monsters I can add.
I'd have to check my stock but there are 2 maps for Assault that come to mind that have monsters in them, that work in MonsterHunt methodology. One of them fundamentally sucks but the other one is damned near unbeatable.

I'll get back to you.

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:49 pm

Hermskii wrote:Don't worry about it. Nobody played MA so nobody will either.
Some are playing it unknowingly. I've been online and played it, after a fashion. MA maps renamed into MH ones. SittingTitans, for example, is an MA map but it's on a lot of MH servers.

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:51 pm

Actually, there is one aspect to Monster Arena I've seen tons of people ask about for Monster Hunt.

In Monster Arena you are not forced to use teams skins. All players are generally using their normal skin.

From what I've come to understand, lots of people would prefer to play Monster Hunt without team colors but can't figure out how.

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:08 pm

You don't understand, MA is using a different trigger to end map other than MH. Can be ended only if the mapper added both triggers (a smart move) to end that in any type of game.

MonsterHunt by default is using a team against monsters, that team is 0 by default, using Botpack as main root class for MH everybody usually is in team 0 red, there is a line forcing players to change team, as result, after mapvote everybody is red doesn't matter what color weared before. This is heavy to be altered, maybe using some Nexgen controllers can be altered but is a risk to turn game in DM.

In other order I tried something different studying some classes from BotPack and the Lord Engine. I found somewhere the same ideea and I applied it in my mod. What is about ? In the middle of party a player can exit to menu and can change color in any color without any disconnect trick. Score is the same, at behindview can check his color. Anyway I did this for some clowns asking for other colors not for me, I can aim without to wear pink or brown or grey or bla, bla. Usually I'm interested about monsters in MH not by skins. Actually I don't have installed any skin in my server, is just the mod, a security tool, a logger, and done, server is runing pretty well without a bunch of packages, and will be the same as long as I'll keep it opened.

For stats I have some jokes means stats from 1914 delivered by XAN, Loque, Tamerlane to cut the desire for racing to hunt score, is about TeamWork in MH not racing and scoring. I think I'll remove finally any score anouncement and even I can put "-" value at scoring, meaning the last is the best not the first, :P.

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:18 pm

Split post_______________

I saw in more places (I'm very confused about this). Work with your teammates, but after a check in WebPage or Stats, I can see a nice coloured Scoreboard and stats, this is just encouraging racing and a dumb play just for be on top, picking all redeemers just to frustrate others to deliver a score.

A player told once: "I'm close to be on 10 players top". I told him: "I don't care about top 10" - not other comment about this. Of course you didn't see what kind of teamwork delivered that score-hunter guy. This kind of players are anytime on my list to be kicked. Even I'm thinking to add some punishes for such behavior, a single team-fire and I can remove 10000 points from score, that can be nasty indeed.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:40 pm

Hahahaha! That would be funny. having people race to the end sucks but I have to admit that I try to be first on the MH-IndianaJones map. I love that map! I love charging through it. I also love playing it alone and slowly killing all of the monsters. I try to win without dying any.
~Peace~

Hermskii