fairly simple question...probably

Post all mapping and skinning related content here!
EvilGrins
NoMoreSpam: Silver

fairly simple question...probably

Post by EvilGrins » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:24 am

Okay, not going into why again, but I've got two copies of the exact same ut99 on my computer. Well, mostly the same... as I occasionally find minor differences.

Case in point:

I've got a map called CTF-Faces-of-Pharaohs which I've always been quite fond of. It uses just the basic textures that UT comes with, has no special files of its own. Yet, for some reason in one ut99 it's textured nicely and in the other it barely uses any textures at all.

From my limited understanding of mapping, when you make a map the .unr file reaches out to whatever it needs that is hopefully in your game in order to play.

I've checked the files, they're identical. I even went to far as to copy the map that was working correctly over the map that wasn't and yet it still isn't showing the textures as it should.

Any ideas?

Terraniux

Re: fairly simple question...probably

Post by Terraniux » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:59 am

Corrupt .unr file, delete and copy the proper one the other ut installation.
Or the other installation uses a different graphics renderer.

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:38 pm

Also...
Maybe your preferences are different - different settings for the graphics.
That can also cause the same texture to look differently between installations.
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:04 pm

It might also be you've accidentally overwritten one of the stock UT texture packages with another one, which is probably different in size and/or missing something.

With all of those mismatches, it's not so unlikely to happen. I've even seen a Factory.utx smaller in size causing a mismatch on a server some time ago.

Beware of the credits.utx one in particular; that file bundled with UT GOTY is different from the one that comes with the stock UT99. Blame Epic for that.
Plain Old Telephone Service

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:55 am

It drives me nuts to know they offered the textures with the same name for the same game but made them differently. I noticed that way back in the beginning when I first started understanding about file mismatch errors and such. I had never noticed it with the credits.utx before but now I know it is like that too.
~Peace~

Hermskii

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:01 am

In this particular case the texture is Egypt.utx, which is identical in both.

Still checking everything I'm being told as possibles from both forums I posted this too.

ZippityDooDa

Post by ZippityDooDa » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:24 am

EvilGrins wrote:In this particular case the texture is Egypt.utx, which is identical in both.

Still checking everything I'm being told as possibles from both forums I posted this too.
Just open the Egypt.utx package in Unreal editor and take a look at them and see if you notice anything.
11100000.11111111.11111111.00000000 /24

Terraniux

Post by Terraniux » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:20 am

KiLLaKeLLeR wrote:
EvilGrins wrote:In this particular case the texture is Egypt.utx, which is identical in both.

Just open the Egypt.utx package in Unreal editor and take a look at them and see if you notice anything.
I've checked the files, they're identical. I even went to far as to copy the map that was working correctly over the map that wasn't and yet it still isn't showing the textures as it should.
He did this already I think. Or just copy the 'good' .utx over to the other installation, same for the .unr file. No need to find the source of the problem... be practical.
if it works...voila

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:02 pm

Right, anyway you can do a small check to see if you have the same display settings.

About Credits.utx, a smart mapper won't ever use that, is indeed a frustration delivered for headaches, like others facts.

I'm thinking sometimes to other "types" creating mismatches to blow them away from me.