A big thanks to KELLER!

Post all mapping and skinning related content here!
Hermskii
Site Admin
NoMoreSpam: Silver

A big thanks to KELLER!

Post by Hermskii » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:59 pm

Last night I was able to work with Keller remotely and he taught me enough mapping stuff to make me realize a few things that I knew and didn't know:

1. Basic mapping for noobs is not as hard as I thought. I made several rooms and connected them with hallways and added in plants and lights and other stuff. Keller was witness to the first Redeemer I ever created on a map! I know how to duplicate stuff and all sorts of little mapping things. Very basic map making is not hard especially with repetition.

2. Mapping can and should get so much more special attention. It can get so deep as far as how hard you can make it on yourself with the details (eyecandy). I'm shocked at the hundreds if not thousands of options that can be applied to make maps be really awesome!

The most important part of this post for me is this:

I have toyed with the idea of mapping since about the year 2004 or 2005. I have been approached by too many people to count to teach me how to map. I knew I wasn't ready to commit to the effort so I didn't waste any-body's time. Thank you to all of you in my past who offered to teach me how to map.

Enter Mr. Keller...

Keller offered forever ago to help. I put him on hold like I do too often to everyone. We discussed it seriously for the last few months. I finally took him up on his offer last night. He has been ready to teach me for months. We opened a remote session and a communication link by phone. He NEVER LAUGHED at my TOTAL LACK OF KNOWLEDGE" and he stayed on target with his tutorial session. He was patient with my noobism to mapping and just kept on pushing me along his lesson. He made a hard lesson for me fun.

My hat goes off to you Mr. Keller. You didn't have to take your time to show me the very basics of mapping but you did! You didn't have to be professional but you were. You didn't have to make it fun but that happened. You didn't have to create a mapping monster but you may have. I will blame all of my maps on you going forward! LOL. But really, from the bottom of my heart, I thank you! I'm also sorry that you gave me your phone number because when I have issues I will call and I only plan to map after midnight! LOL. Peace brother and thanks again!
~Peace~

Hermskii

ZippityDooDa

Re: A big thanks to KELLER!

Post by ZippityDooDa » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:46 pm

That was an awesome post! Thanks so much Herm, I offer my help to anyone on this forum! Saying this I will not play UT for the sake of playing anymore but will concentrate on helping others in our UT community. So thanks for all!
11100000.11111111.11111111.00000000 /24

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:29 pm

I regret not expanding me on what he showed me. I haven't played around with what he showed me as yet.

ZippityDooDa

Post by ZippityDooDa » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:08 am

EvilGrins wrote:I regret not expanding me on what he showed me. I haven't played around with what he showed me as yet.
Yes, if you don't practice you will forget.
11100000.11111111.11111111.00000000 /24

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:50 pm

Yes, practice what you know now, the basics, for a while - write down notes also of things that work good for you, etc.
Then, next step, once you are getting familiar with the editor, then try some of my tutorials listed both here and at HUTP.
Some good basic stuff to know, and a lot of the kinks are ironed out in those tutorials through experience. :wink:
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777