Re: MH-Andromeda

Post all mapping and skinning related content here!
Nelsona
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes

Post by Nelsona » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:46 pm

First map and all required files has 9.59 MB compressed zip.

How much data is allowed to be uploaded here ? Seems to be a problem with bigger files...

Hermskii
Site Admin
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Post by Hermskii » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:54 pm

My settings say people can attach stuff up to 20MiB in size. What is a MiB?
~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No

Post by a nameless entity » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:09 pm

Well as far as the versions of the map go, I believe that many of them were not done by NR 2000 himself. While he did release quite a few beta versions that contained improvements of various kinds, there were also a number of modified versions released by other people for reasons known only to them.

I don't know if 2k ever finished that map to his own satisfaction. It was a standing joke over at Excalibur Holland for ages that it would never be finished, for he was always finding some misaligned texture, or "brush", or whatever that needed tweaking.
2k has been hooked on playing WoW for at least 2 years now, so who knows if he'll ever find the time to release a final edition. ;)

Chico has also become hooked on WoW, so he is not around as often as he used to be.

There is or was at least one OLD Excalibur Holland forum out there that he abandoned. For some reason the host never took it down. I will supply a link to the active forum here.

Chico no longer has direct control over the redirects for his UT99 servers. A friend of his was hosting those, and became slow to answer emails requesting a reboot when they went down. So far as I know, the person has been out of touch for quite some time now, so the redirects remain down, and as Chico is no longer in a position to host the redirects himself, they will probably remain down for the forseeable future.

I will put a shout into the shoutbox over at Excalibur, giving a link to this thread. 2k should eventually see it. Hopefully he will show up here and straighten things out about his awesome map as best he can. :)

http://www.excalibur-holland.net/nuke/index.php
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:14 am

Thanks for the update. That is wild. Lost it all to a slow amigo and the power of WOW.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:28 am

Someone pls tell me if I'm wrong because I'm not skilled in php scripts but 20 MiB I think means really 2 MB, so 9.59 MB for first map and other MB for others I guess won't be accepted. I believe this because I never saw here huge stuff uploaded. Anyway, I can put up in my host a temporary link to these maps, but I need to prepare server first.

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:14 am

Back, I prepared a link using an autoindex script here:

http://sektornelsona.no-ip.org/index.ph ... ired_Maps/

Link is available limited, I won't host an invasion.

Nr.2000

Post by Nr.2000 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:24 am

I know, there are many different versions of my map. But basically "MH-Andromeda-Ancient-Test1A" to "MH-Andromeda-Ancient-Test1V" are just different versions where I tried to fix the lag. There have been added many little tweaks and other changes suggested by players in Test1A to Test1V, but mostly it have just been bug and lag fixing.

"MH-Andromeda-Part1-BETA14" & "MH-Andromeda-Part2-BETA14" are the latest split up version of the map. The version numbers go from "MH-Andromeda-Part1-BETA01" to "MH-Andromeda-Part1-BETA14".
This version was made to fix the lag once and for all. It seamed to work, at least on Excalibur Holland's server.
The map is heavily changed compared to the original map, so when players are happy with the maps. I'll name them to "MH-Andromeda-Part1" & "MH-Andromeda-Part2", and the old un-split version to "MH-Andromeda-Classic".
I haven't been able to play test the last versions much online. Since redirect on Excalibur Holland is down. But they will be made the finals, unless some major bugs are found.

Two other special Co-Op versions of the map have been made for 3's server. They are called "Andromeda-Part1" & "Andromeda-Part2", without the MH in front.
If you see any other versions of the map, then they haven't been made by me.

But thanks for all the kind words, I couldn't have made this map without the help and support from the great MH community and my friends.

Waldstein

Post by Waldstein » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:07 am

Thank you for replying! I may as well take this opportunity to say that LongCorridor2006 is also one of the great "epic" maps of UT (I know that it was co-made with the guy who made LostInTime which is also a fantastic map).

So the most recent version is where it's been split in half then? What exactly was the "lag problem" you mentioned? I don't recall having any lag issues when playing the normal version. I think it's a shame that the map has to be split in half but I'm sure you wouldn't do it unless it was necessary.

Anyway! So if parts 1 and 2 work correctly then the map will be at long last properly finished? A historic moment!

Oh and another question for Nr.2000 while you're here: was Dream Section's brilliant music composed specifically for this map? I've heard some of his music in other UT maps and was always curious about this.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:31 pm

Hello Nr.2000. It has been a long long time since I have seen you anywhere. I hope you are doing OK. Don't let World of Warcraft get ya! LOL. I have sent you a PM as well or will have after a few moments. Please make sure to check back often and take good care of yourself. Thanks also for taking the time to give this guy a great answer. It was all any of us could have expected.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Nr.2000

Post by Nr.2000 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:55 pm

Yes, I think "MH-LongCorridor2006" worked out nicely as well, at least if you into that kind of gameplay. It forces players to do some good old team work. Derdak2rot is a great mapper, A LOT better then me. I was pleased to work together with him. He have made some of the most breathtaking MH maps around if you ask me.

About Andro. Yes, the newest and most up to date maps you can find online are the split up versions "MH-Andromeda-Part1-BETA14" & "MH-Andromeda-Part2-BETA14". I do have a higher version on my HDD, where Nameless have corrected all my spelling mistakes. That version will be made final, if no major bugs are found.

Back in the days when the original map was 1st released, around 2005 I think. It was mostly always running at 100% CPU usage at Excalibur Holland, plus it often crashed the server. This wasn't good, since he wasn't the only one using the server. It was shared between several other people.
The hardware in general on servers have probably improved a bit since then. So the original map, might run fine now. But back then the map was too huge, and CPU usage way too high when run online.

After the map was split up in 2008, most of the problems were fixed. In fact it ran so much better that I even could boost the detail level a lot, without causing any major problems. I know it would have been best if it could have stayed as a single map, but we tried our best for a long time to get it running smooth, on that old hardware, without much success.

About the music, no it wasn't made for the map. His tunes were in a very high quality and they were recorded in the same music format Unreal Tournament used. That's why I selected them, and I thought they worked out very well with the map. If you like to hear more of his awesome music, you can check out his website at:

http://modarchive.org/index.php?request ... uery=68961

Yes, thanks Hermskii. I do miss mapping a lot, so might return at some point... I do have a lot of half finished unreleased maps. But we will have too see. ;)

I'll talk to Chico about your PM the next time I see him, but I'm sure he will be thrilled... and I'll promise to check in here more often in the future. But if for some reason you need to get in contact with me fast, you can always leave a message for me on Excalibur Holland chat. I check the site everyday.

Waldstein

Post by Waldstein » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:09 am

Wow! Thanks again for the replies and thank you Hermskii for helping get to the bottom of the Andromeda mystery.

As for the half finished unreleased maps, that would be awesome if they were completed. Looking forward to playing the final versions of Andromeda at some point in the near future (I hope!).

Thanks again everyone. I hope other people were also satisfied to finally know what was going on with this legendary map!

Sir Mandrake

Post by Sir Mandrake » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:53 am

I love it when the original Map Dev appears to discuss their awesome maps... its like a direct line to a celebrity.. haha!

anyway.... Id love to get my hands on Andromeda v1 & v2 Beta14. I want to do away with all the revisions and just run the latest.
--- END OF LINE ---

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:13 pm

Agreed. Me too!
~Peace~

Hermskii

Scify

Post by Scify » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:00 pm

I have them I can't uplaod them .I thope it work. I send them to u Herm. Let me if don't get them
" If I had a brain, I'd be dangerous!"

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:17 am

I have them. I'll put them up for download. Bang on me to get this done. It is late and I'm going to bed. I need a decent FTP program.
~Peace~

Hermskii