Rise of Evil, (Hell it's about time.)

Post all mapping and skinning related content here!
Vatcilli
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Rise of Evil, (Hell it's about time.)

Post by Vatcilli » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:16 am

So I am back from the dead.
This time, with something I can share.

Years ago, I decided I wanted a zombie map that looked better than the original deadcity. I tried time and time again but each time ran into engine limitations. But now, I decided to send this thing into beta anyway.

Before downloading:
This map makes extensive use of Unreal's elusive "Grab" key
you might have to open your console to set a "grab" key.

Press the console key
Enter or copy/paste this line:
set input g grab
Replace g with any button you prefer, on some fresh installs the Grab key is already set on the Enter key.

NOTE: Grab is an unreal built in function, you don't need to, and should not install external mods for this. Just the command should be enough to turn your e key into a "Use" key similar to those used in many games. And should only open the doors that the mapper has intended to open in this way.
IF it opens doors in other maps that is because the mappers in those had no F***ing idea what they were doing when they made the mover, or wanted people to be able to go through them by using the grab key.

That said, here is the download link, images can be found on this page too.
http://www.mapraider.com/maps/?fileid=5782

Contributors:
Vatcilli(Alucard):Main map, Some textures.
Titled:Coding/City and Lab layout
Seras(L4dy4bys): Lighting, intro/extro
Memsys: Weapon shop, STARS coffee.

special thanks to:
GoPostal: Additional coding
Dots: Additional coding
Hourences: Textures
Last edited by Vatcilli on Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:03 am, edited 4 times in total.
It's truly a nice night, On nights like these I feel like drinking blood.

Nelsona
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes

Re: Rise of Evil, (Hell it's about time.)

Post by Nelsona » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:51 am

And you want to mess up a ton of maps creating shortcuts before to kill bosses. C'mon, you get older ? Better load forceMover, right ? Why to not break maps ? I never expected this ideea from you. Well, I don't want to offend or something, but you need to think twice at more maps which are runing currently in MH before to do this. You forgot to set movers to be opened by monsters or players or everybody ?
Great ideea, maybe some maps really need to be slapped at once with their mappers, :twisted: ? .

Vatcilli

Post by Vatcilli » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:43 am

Press the console key
Quote:
set input g grab

Replace g with any button you prefer, on some fresh installs the Grab key is already set on the Enter key.
If people actually read before posting, that would be better. But yes.. I guess you can't possibly expect everyone to pay attention.

Grab was a unreal build-in which was supposedly used for this very thing, it works perfectly without any mods because the movers are set up for this very thing, you don't need to install a "forcemover" mod or anything, just walk up to the door and press grab.

If some mappers were doing weird stuff and ticked the wrong options to true (bUseTriggered should only be ticked on for movers you WANT to be activated with the grab key, not ones you want to be activated by a normal trigger.)

I'm not going to take responsibility for mappers that don't know what "bUseTriggered" stands for.

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:06 am

Vatcilli wrote:
Press the console key
Quote:
set input g grab

If people actually read before posting, that would be better. But yes.. I guess you can't possibly expect everyone to pay attention.
I read, and I know EXACTLY what is about, even I coded mod anti bots grabers and I won't remove that code.

MAYBE indeed is a need to read posts

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2710&start=15

And you know as well what I mean. But... NVM. I just posted as a note, an information, if is considered bad my observation, then I appologise. From my side, and from my any permanent or temporary server GRAB is not in my inventory.

Vatcilli

Post by Vatcilli » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:18 am

If your concern is with bots and monsters not knowing how to open doors that's invalid as well, both bots and monsters know perfectly well how to navigate the map, It has been tested on and off-line without trouble. It did not break any other maps because it's native code.
NOTE: Grab is an unreal built in function, you don't need to, and should not install external mods for this. Just the command should be enough to turn your e key into a "Use" key similar to those used in many games. And should only open the doors that the mapper has intended to open in this way.
IF it opens doors in other maps that is because the mappers in those had no F***ing idea what they were doing when they made the mover, or wanted people to be able to go through them by using the grab key.
Bottom line, have you tried testing the map before flipping out?
"I don't want to offend" you say but you could not possibly have said it in a more offensive way.

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:52 pm

I just tested, that's why I'm posting a reply not because I like to post in forums.

I was very against attached MH versions. After some debates with Gopo and others, I just understood what is about in fighting with old MH and fixations. Now I'm using MH_SHDWS_C version, and NOT WORKS THIS GRAB, I know well what I coded there and mod is not failing.

Specifications, details ?
I've done a more tweaked version to avoid all calls to old variables from MH 503. I have an internal class named MonsterHunt2 which is a parent class for other MonsterHunt game-type integrated in this package to be browsed as MonsterHunt and played as MonsterHunt, but is a child of this new MonsterHunt2 not TeamGamePlus. Purpose of this one ? Avoid any call from HUD to a dead replication not used but delivering Accesed Nones in client. At least for GRAB, let me correct myself, is not really a break in map, is an unwanted shortcut and is very fixed.

Yes, errors returned by HUD(s) in all functions calling Lives, etc. returned random accesed nones, and I was mad to see them solved, I changed all variables, Lives=Live, MonsterTotal=TotalMonster and so on. If you didn't understood, I'll send you the mod and you can test it as well. Now the mod somehow is head to head with your embedded one. Mine is powerfull and it won. Exist in MH a few other maps with embedded mutators creating troubles and I changed rules to slap them down as much as possible. I'll post screenshots if you don't believe me.

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:54 pm

Downloading now, review to come later.

Just off the top of my head, you get points initially for saying there's bot-pathing. Most folks don't even bother with that anymore.

I love me some bots!

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:34 pm

Okay, a few things:
1 ) Some of the files in your initial setup, music & textures, are ones I already had... though the dates were different. I opted for the ones I had, didn't seem to effect the map at all.
2 ) Nice gloomy feel, works well.
3 ) I went through my control options and there's nothing for a "grab" keychoice. Even went directly into the User.ini and still no "grab". It's a good thing I play with bots or I wouldn't be able to open doors, had to let bots open them for me.
4 ) It's kinda cool how the map automatically switches the default enforcer to the Unreal1 equivilent. Also liked the little messages, "walk backwards" was a good exit choice.
5 ) The zombies I've seen so far are decent, but odd. The intro you include with the map shows standard ut99 bots getting infected. Seemed odd ut99 bots would turn into Unreal1 styled zombies.
6 ) Since I couldn't find a "grab" option to assign, I watched the bots a lot with the "changeview" key. Doing so I found a myoko bot who you put in there but I don't recall reading anywhere in the intro or game manual you included. No idea why that's there.
7 ) Also thought the room you added, for players that died can choose to go back into the game or not, was cool.
8 ) I keep coming back to the "grab" key problem; not on "enter" key by the way. Anyone that puts this game online from their server probably will not have bots and people that get into the game online won't be able to get through any of the doors that require a "grab" key to get through them.
9 ) Weird how the startup gun only holds 10 bullets at a time. Even with ammo regeneration that kept being a problem when zombies were attacking, waiting for the reload.
10 ) I didn't get a chance to use them but the other weapons you have on the map seemed pretty decent.
11 ) My Skaarj bots couldn't fit through the doors so were stuck on the opening area. Just a personal pet peeve.
So, how do I get around that "grab" key problem?

Oh, just saw this set input g grab the 2nd read through. Still, this wouldn't do much good for some random person finding the map online.

Maybe, as this is a beta map after all, make it so if you shoot doors they open?

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:05 pm

Okay, next time on the map with the "grab" working the 'g' key. Got a few bots to come with, 2 doing their own thing and a Blue Lantern at my back...
...if you're gonna fight zombies then having a Klingon at your back is not a bad thing!

So Myoko is an NPC (not player character) who was moderately helpful until she got stuck in the thick of it. Getting stuck does seem to be a thing for this map.
The zombies kept getting stuck on a bunch of spots all over the map. Possibly trigger spots, I dunno. Made them easier to kill, although the more you shot these clumps the more they attacked you so it kinda worked out positive and negative.

Is it just me or is the map configured to slow down game speed? This wasn't the typical slow down issue that happens sometimes, it seemed like I could play other maps at normal speed but yours dragged down the speed a bit. Was that deliberate?

Still haven't beaten the map, keep getting distracted by other stuff, but I'm getting there.

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:33 am

EvilGrins wrote: 8 ) I keep coming back to the "grab" key problem; not on "enter" key by the way. Anyone that puts this game online from their server probably will not have bots and people that get into the game online won't be able to get through any of the doors that require a "grab" key to get through them.
That's gonna be a major problem for on-line gameplay, since most of the new MH mods, such as MHv2 or MH Gold or whatever prevent you from using the "grab" command.
That was made as a "hotfix" for those map plagued by bad movers that could be exploited, but got its downsides.

As regards off-line playing, the default key for that command is usually your "G" letter, otherwise you have to manually edit your User.INI and add something like this:
G=Grab
under your [Engine.Input] section, in your User.INI file.
That was already explained before anyway, even if using a different method.
EvilGrins wrote: 9 ) Weird how the startup gun only holds 10 bullets at a time. Even with ammo regeneration that kept being a problem when zombies were attacking, waiting for the reload.
I've been playing UT for years, and only recently discovered there's a special command for reloading weapons such as AutoMags and QuadShots manually.

Again, you have to open your User.INI, and under the [Engine.Input] section add a line like this:
C=Button bextra3
where the letter "C" is just an example of a possible key you could use.
You can anyway use the "set input C Button bextra3" system console command to perform a quick bind.
Plain Old Telephone Service

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:47 am

*POTS* wrote:As regards off-line playing, the default key for that command is usually your "G" letter, otherwise you have to manually edit your User.INI and add something like this:
G=Grab
under your [Engine.Input] section, in your User.INI file.
Given he said it's a command that originated with Unreal 1, I was toying with going into the [Engine.Input] of U1 and copying over the necessary line. I've done the same before copying movement commands from ut99 to Unreal 2 given there's moves i was used to that weren't in U2 I wanted.
*POTS* wrote:I've been playing UT for years, and only recently discovered there's a special command for reloading weapons such as AutoMags and QuadShots manually.
I first came across that sorta thing for the Infiltration mod. Although you can set it to auto-reload but you still gotta deal with the weapon going through the motions of reloading which takes a costly second or two.

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:35 am

Hey Vatcilli, you might wanna (if you haven't already) post this map to http://www.unrealsp.org/forums/index.php cuz even though they're mostly Unreal 1 /single player specific, they do some ut99 and MH too.

I think they'd get a kick out of this map.

Vatcilli

Post by Vatcilli » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:58 am

Heya all! thanks for taking a look into the map! Well I already see there's a few things that need covering.

The mod thing I thought at first would be hard to fix, indeed, some maps have problems with mappers that have no idea what they did.. I did place a manual in the start of the map you can read by walking up against it but I guess that was easy to miss, I'll put some pointers towards that thing.

As for the starting gun, it's actually "Not" the standard unreal handgun, it's a modified weapon that does extra damage on a headshot, and right mouse button instantly reloads it to 10 ammo.
The ammo it contains is infinite in that way I'll make a note to add this to the manual as well.

the walking slower part is indeed a map-embedded mutator that modifies the player's stats a little, It still needs a few things added to truly make the game feel different.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:23 am

So where have you been all of this time? Why did you go away? What have you been doing? Welcome back.

I don't know if you know Nelsona. he is a really good coder and keeps getting better too. I think the language translation gets in the way sometimes so be patient. What you read may not be exactly what he meant.

I will continue to see what the others say about this. Take it easy.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Vatcilli

Post by Vatcilli » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:52 am

Well the reason I was away was because I had been working so long on this map that I have gotten fed up with it.. Fed up with the game, fed up with trying to code my way around several problems without any knowledge of how to do it since the one who was coding for me gave up about halfway.. Luckily I managed to talk him into finishing the map with me, that does mean though that code-wise I can't really change much about the map any more.

I guess I got agitated because after all this time, people are calling my work out on a conflict
with a mod the map was never intended for. (I played it with classic, un-modded Monsterhunt, and it should be played with that.) Rather than commenting about the map

That said I wish to honestly thank EvilGrins for actually giving the map a shot, thank you.
Your comments help me figure out problems I can actually fix.