A new project

Post all mapping and skinning related content here!
Terraniux

A new project

Post by Terraniux » Sun May 26, 2013 7:25 pm

It is going to be something I actually have not done before.
While typing this, I have this weird feeling that this is going to be my last project.
For the past few years my inspiriation and mapping spirit have been lowered big time. Real life issues and facing my inner-self are one the reasons.
I am not seeking for attention, but if I can't finish this project ( like all others on my hdd), MH-CrystalMine4, AfterDark2, etc.... then I am afraid I won't be much help/support in the coming future.
I love Unreal and UT, the editor is my biggest friend, but I can't keep this mapping attitude up. Maybe on one day I return with a new and enlightened mind, full of ideas and stuff.

The mapping project I am working on, should bring the good old, trusted -but sometimes scary classic Unreal feeling back.
It represents the existence of Chizra the watergod, and the invasion of Skaarj. It is a fallen/abandoned city where nali worshipped Chizra.
There are mines, caves, terrains and situations to explore. And yes, my crystal obsession will rise once again.

http://crystalunreal.com/ancient.jpg

Wish me luck.

EvilGrins
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Re: A new project

Post by EvilGrins » Sun May 26, 2013 9:22 pm

1) Good luck.

2) Didn't you say some time back your previous project was your last project?

3) Never say anything is your last anything. Up until you kick the bucket, with allowances for reincarnation, there's always a fairly good chance you'll start another project.

Terraniux

Post by Terraniux » Mon May 27, 2013 5:52 am

I think you are right Evilgrins. Yes, I think I said that the previous time too, but that my problem, everytime I start a project, I don't have the will to build it complete. I lack inspiriration and such. :( If there is a cure, then i'll take it.

Dr.Flay

Post by Dr.Flay » Mon May 27, 2013 1:44 pm

That is always the problem if you work alone on a complex project.
Maybe that updated Dungeon Maker can help speed-up some of the basic building ?
Also using decorations instead of brushes, will cut down BSP issues and allow you the freedom to move things around without re-building the geometry.

You then also have the bonus of easily destroyable windows and scenery, without the normal pain of using triggers.
Medidecos.jpg
You will be able to make a more interactive experience than people normally get.

Don't forget there are rats, cockroaches and snakes etc
A much wider choice of rocks, trees and foliage is also available.
We have more weather-effects and the dynamic water just got re-found.

Just ask and those that can, will.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chaoticdreams.org - @TheChaosMod - Web IRChat - [url=irc://irc.quakenet.org/chaoticdreams]IRChat[/url]

Terraniux

Post by Terraniux » Mon May 27, 2013 5:50 pm

Thanks, I'll see what I can use. I used to be alone, work alone, and being creative on my own. My workspace and satisfied mind, it has never failed me, untill now. And I really want produce more material.

So I thought that If talk about my problem ( as any would do in real life) you guys could give that extra tiny push in the right direction. :D

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Tue May 28, 2013 3:31 pm

I'll give you my best advice:

Obey the 10 commandments the best that you can.
If you think you can make it on your own prove it first by paying your parents just half of how much you cost them each month and see if you can do that for 3 months in a row.

Example:

1/2 of the following:

Rent
Electricity
Food
Gas
Car Insurance
Medical Insurance
Water
Car Payment
Hair Cut
Clothes and Shoes
Phone
Cable

More on this shortly.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Tue May 28, 2013 3:39 pm

Now you just reminded me about real life :(.

Terraniux

Post by Terraniux » Tue May 28, 2013 6:01 pm

Hermskii wrote:I'll give you my best advice:

Obey the 10 commandments the best that you can.
If you think you can make it on your own prove it first by paying your parents just half of how much you cost them each month and see if you can do that for 3 months in a row.

Example:

1/2 of the following:

Rent
Electricity
Food
Gas
Car Insurance
Medical Insurance
Water
Car Payment
Hair Cut
Clothes and Shoes
Phone
Cable

More on this shortly.
Apparently I seem to forgot you tell you the missing story.

I'm already out of my parent's house, I live on my own now. The contact / communication with my parents is restored. Once in a week I visit them, which I really look forward for.
I have a weekly schedule and enough money. My car payments are paid automaticly via bank transfer and such things. I have friends and nice people around me.

Yes, I can actually tell now that my physical world is actually pretty good at this moment.

We are talking now the mental plane now. Or call it spirit.
At this moment I need that little push or 'missing information' that gets me over the edge. I tried to find it in myself, but from another point of view - it is better to let the outer world now what is going on and let them help.

I recognize my skills and strengths. But I don't know how to use them further when I just don't the incentive(s) to make any progress. What am I missing?

Dr.Flay

Post by Dr.Flay » Tue May 28, 2013 10:06 pm

George Carlin distilled the 10 commandments into 3, and my personal spiritual leaders distilled it into 1.
"Be excellent to each-other"
Bill S. Preston ESQ. and Ted Theodore Logan

:mrgreen:

With what is going on at the moment in the UT world, there is a change in attitudes.
Group projects are just as likely to fail or stall, and developers are seeing a quicker turnover in smaller projects, by chipping-in with small parts of each-others work, or throwing new ideas or solutions on the table.

The ut99.org Xmas map-pack is a good example. 1 person asked about adding falling snow, and before you knew it several options were presented and even new ones made.
If you want weather and different sound footsteps, it is a good palette to look through.

I uploaded a reactive decos pack a couple of days ago, to inspire the use of interactive items and scenerey. That thread has now got some great ideas and Kelly posted his destroyable brush mod.
http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4827&start=0

We have a modular system to work with, and the external help can work the same way.
The UT world is thinning out, so having fixed groups on a project may be a thing of the past.
http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4819
chaoticdreams.org - @TheChaosMod - Web IRChat - [url=irc://irc.quakenet.org/chaoticdreams]IRChat[/url]