Converting MA to MH

Post all mapping and skinning related content here!
EvilGrins
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Re: Converting MA to MH

Post by EvilGrins » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:24 pm

Turns out a lot of the MA maps I've got displayed in this thread can be downloaded here...
http://www.destinationunreal.com/module ... Maps&id=30
...well, provided you're a member of that forum.

Actually a few there I don't have.

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:24 am

First, let me think if deserve the effort to build a proper controller. I have a few MA maps for testing purpose. I'm thinking at 2 things in this moment: MA or a custom DM done for Monster presence (kill anouncements, sprees, furry against Bots, etc.).

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:23 pm

Nelsona, are you planning on doing more than just converting the broken MA maps into functional MH ones?

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:19 pm

Plans are many, no time for everything. But... for a dedicated server I think that custom MH prefix used in MonsteHunt can be changed with MA in MapVote - is not a stock dedicated thing. Triggers are the same family (or nearby). Package is MonsterHunt.u. Technically might works without headaches but this need tests. Or simply I can do a small mutator in case of malfunctions to clone end properly in order to run them as MH even they are named MA. No warranty for maps messed by default.

Right now here is 2 AM I just came home from other town where I builded 4 CCTV systems, I'm feel bored but I'll think tomorrow at a strategy (solution) how to setup them properly out of default crappy MonsterHuntArena class.

Second main problem, those maps which aren't work being bad triggered or null triggered if I can say this. What can I do with them ? Calling author to fix them ? After a few years nobody seems interested to finish his (her ?) work, neither asking help. So ? Let me know what you think. If you consider usefull to scratch them properly (Finishable, Full Bot support, Small tunes at Inventories, ect.) and converting them to MH, I can do this but some "cool dudes" I guess won't be glad about my ideea even I think I'll deserve a few thanks for fixing trash unfinished by those... doh.

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:29 am

Nels, if it were me my friend I would just do whatever you want to do. When I was working on MH2 I mailed all the MA mappers I could find and not one of them responded. I had plans to do something much like you are considering where I would address the MA actors and attempt to streamline them into working under MH. Stuff like adding a check for the 'boss' death to trigger a global (normal) monsterend, etc. No one, and I mean NO ONE plays MA at all so do whatever you like and don't worry about what people will think.
When everyone you ever known is headed for a headstone
I don’t wanna give the end away but we’re gonna die one day

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:55 am

Agreed and another note here from me about Kelly's post:

I just noticed and think it is funny how fast I maneuver to see what Kelly has said whenever he posts stuff here or anywhere. I normally start at the oldest and work my way to the newest at all forum when I visit them but if I see that Kelly has posted at the top of the list and in anyway won't be the first thing I would normally read there I jump to his posting. Whether it is good or bad, negative or positive, true or false...I find myself always rushing to see what he has to say because I feel his passion about what he says has weight and meaning no matter what he says. I think that is part of his charisma he earned in the UT world. He has been too right, too accurate too often to be ignored even when he goes off the rails. Good stuff Kelly! Keep it up and thanks!
~Peace~

Hermskii

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:05 pm

Good then... So, Kelly, Hermskii, Instigator EG, I'll open a kind of special thread in coding section with what I think by default. Of course topic won't hurt if more people will read it.

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:10 pm

I'll upload other MA maps to this thread here, and we'll see how that goes.

Also, for what it's worth, I tried to find the name of one of the MA mappers when I recently edited MA-TheLonelySouls, which for some reason i keep remembering as TheLostSouls, and what I wound up getting was kinda vague.

Have a look:
http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5028

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:41 am

Meh, these names sometimes tends to piss me off. Why some people think they can reinvent the wheel ? Not a single time a map or two were named almost closer creating confusions but being totaly different. Why ? These kinda mappers aren't so adicted to UT as they think. Playing On-Line, attempting to build a server for a few friends and such things are developing knowledge and people will know stuff - good and bad as it is. As long as our adicted dude is working isolated by UT world someday will announce: Look I did a map titled ATAA00, :lol: . Also there are as I know so far 2 maps named different but they are identically until last Bit, just title is different. In this case I think an idiot admin made a copy of a map naming it different to aim exactly 250 maps or like this, else I cannot see why TJBMiniguns (aprox name) is the same as Chupacabra (or like this). And beside this, is not the best ever work, player telefragging monsters at start - is just a doubled trash.

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:51 pm

Life and stuff often get in the way, but i'm gonna submit another map to this thread soon i'd like to see converted... even though THE FIRST ONE STILL HASN'T BEEN.

*ahem*

Just saying...

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:24 pm

I don't know if deserve more efforts, for me things aren't complicated. I did a MonsterHuntArena as I thought and now I'm testing it. Is not very enhanced, but has Bot support as I considered, so I can play some maps (those good ones) without to have too many troubles. Now I'll do small tunes at A.I. I posted a basic version in the right thread and version 2 is on work to be polished nice.

Except errors originally by Epic I don't have any.