New map finished: MH-Blue-Atrium

Post all mapping and skinning related content here!
Hermskii
Site Admin
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Re: New map finished: MH-Blue-Atrium

Post by Hermskii » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:09 pm

Done. Is that what you wanted?
~Peace~

Hermskii

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:49 pm

My conclusion(s):
With this map I think Terraniux advanced his level in mapping. Of course exist place for more small fixes but for the moment this map is very functional without "foreign" things which makes possible a good play with a good tuned mod. I believe I can play it 30 times without to crash server.
Advice for others (assumed mappers) - check this work and compare it with your trashes ... done.

Terraniux

Post by Terraniux » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:11 am

Yes, thank you Hermskii for editing the post for me!
Now people don't have to read all pages in order to find the download link ;)

To Nelsona.

I appreciate your opinion, thanks!
We all thank you too, for being a member of this forum and giving us always constructive feedback when it comes down to coding, and background / log stuff!

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:42 am

I told this because of a a good compatibility with what I'm thinking to do (your map being a how to do subject).

A few dudes might be interested about some MH tweaks and will request a version tuned. Yes, my target is quality. How ? Let's say... mod is operating small tweaks to put some order for monsters but can even perform changes to a few actors having dumb mapping ideeas. Your map is now very compatible with this chapter. Why ? A mod can count how many wrong things were fixed. If let's say number of fixes is greater than 30 mod will turn off server (trashes are not intended to be played). Is simple, if mod is finding 30 mistakes, who can say about that cube-drawer as being mapper knowing what is doing and that one being trusted content ? I'm sure about such work as being trash stuff not server stuff because the mapper simply doesn't know what is doing in Editor being based on a guess work. In this way craps won't mess up games. Of course, anybody can alter codes and to restore trash play as wanted (I won't support for dumb things), at least my contribution for quality will be visible. Is possible to not play more than 120 maps from that Mountain of so called MH maps. Eheh :)

Terraniux

Post by Terraniux » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

True story!

And beside all that, it is somehow a more personal thing of me to use none or a very little third party stuff. Like the particles on the blue crystals. Everything I make, is made from scratch, and all copyright belongs to me, unless otherwise notified.

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:52 pm

Terraniux, if your map suffers one flaw it is only one common to most MH maps. You've got bot pathing, which is good, but even with that the bots can't finish the map on their own....

...of course only a nut like me would check that.

Tried a few times, they only get up to about here:

Because the Behemoth, which is the trigger when it dies for the passage to the lower Skaarj are, doesn't come out and face them... the bots don't go looking in there for him.

It's no big deal. Most players with bots will play with them rather than just watch them play.

Terraniux

Post by Terraniux » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:59 am

Yes, indeed EvilGrins. I've never been good at bothpathing. Maybe I should look more often into the discussions you and Nelsona have. The common bothpathing topic for example. That should teach me a few tricks 'n tips. 8)

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:29 am

Ouch... EG needs to see full Bot support (onestly I'm not far from that wish too). Then let's see what we need here to have a kind of Cilia able to finish map itself like knowing his mission.
I'll specify points:
1) Pathode 30 and 31 are too close (no need such things);
2) In order to have some Bot party We need MonsterWayPoint(s) - Position 1, 2, 3 etc. ordered as mission objectives - MH has small flaws but let's say those flaws not exist in my MH;
3) Last subject hunted by Bot is MonsterEnd;
4) Buton in water need a tweak - a combination using a JumpSpot and some UT_JumpBoots somewhere in path assisted with bAlwayAccel - that need tested and moved properly as necesary - is a heavy geometry there for Bot;
5) If bot will try to cheat with a shortcut at a point in map, we have to block him with BlockedPath making sure about existence of an other way (route), the proper way.

All WayPoints and/or MonsterEnd need to be placed in paths (especially blue lines having good links through themselves). Or simply they might to be placed touching a pathnode. Bot can find them easily.

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:13 pm

While certainly an educational thing to look into, again it'snot a big deal.

I've got like 70 or so Monsterhunt maps at home. The bots can only finish about, maybe, 20 of them.

Actually, I'm kinda tempted for my next additive to my screenshots thread spending this week researching which maps the bots can finish on their own...

...Godz Above, I need a life!

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:10 pm

Could be 20, more or less, depends on battle and if Bot is not throwed or sucked by a mover in certain maps. I toyed once in a version of AfterDark for practicing my pathing skills. Was OK, I played it I guess 30 times and later I deleted it making sports in other random one and so on. Such maps are easy to be pathed, just objectives need to be a bit computed to not be easily touched before killing monster in cause.
This issue was also a subject for my MH - Bot suggestion: Don't try anything before to kill that freak responsable with a mover or other problem.