Some screens of my map

Post all mapping and skinning related content here!
X
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Some screens of my map

Post by X » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:32 am

i though since im not completely done with the map id take some screenshots buut i only have 3 you can kinda see..why the all came out crappy and dark im not sure?? but tell me wat you think be honest. one of the BT rooms Image
Another BT room
And a Krall army room

I assure you these are not the only rooms other rooms have a queen,lava hall,4 warlords, and lava titans!
X
Where's the pizza? :)

Hermskii
Site Admin

Re: Some screens of my map

Post by Hermskii » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:11 am

Where is X? Did this get finished? What happened? Find this mapper and bring him before me!
~Peace~

Hermskii

BiGbOsS

Post by BiGbOsS » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:17 am

My brother is in Hawaii right now on a vacation and will be back mid-day tuesday.
He made two or three versions of the map a couple years back i believe, funny though about a month ago i found him working (or maybe just playing) on the map.
He got help here from kort and another great mapper whose name i can't remember, but his map was on my server, and the regulars there liked it a lot.
Ill pass the word on to him, better for him to tell you the details.
BoSs is in the HOUSE!

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:13 am

Thanks BigBoss. Keep reading the rest of the new posts. I think you're in a few of them. Peace!
~Peace~

Hermskii

Blood Asp

Post by Blood Asp » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:18 am

Cube? :o

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:11 pm

EA this whole "cube"-ish thing is getting so tired. Like it or not the 99 engine is geared towards cubism. You can map better than most so how about some criticism that actually helps?

Blood Asp

Post by Blood Asp » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:09 pm

When all cubes are eliminated i will quit teh cube! :lol:

BiGbOsS

Post by BiGbOsS » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:52 pm

Bumping this thread up to remind me later to get my younger brother on to answer Herm's question about the map!
BoSs is in the HOUSE!

BIOMECH

Post by BIOMECH » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:10 am

The appearance of the map, the music, the monsters and the items all have an impact on eachother. That is, they're all interlinked and can pull eachother up or drag eachother down depending on which is which.

If you have a map that looks crap and has bad music, you can still pull it off if the gameplay is great. Likewise, a visually impressive map will help smooth over gameplay problems. For me at least, music is also a real boost.

It's not just this countering feature that affects maps. Multiple things on the same general level will stack on eachother. So a plain map with bad weapon placement is considerably worse than a plain map with good weapons, or an okay-looking map with bad weapons. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Originality also comes into play; some ideas have been gone over too often, and some ideas were avoided for a reason. The overall theme of the map can pull it down if it seems too generic. I'm pretty sure everyone has played a linear or 'tunnel' map for instance.

What I'm trying to say here is that a plain, square room filled with Krall is lame :P
Try smaller rooms, or less Krall. Maybe add terrain features to make the fight more interesting. That many Krall will invariably cause some damage, so some scattered health packs might not be a bad idea. Pillars or just some cubes lying around will help block fire and turn it into more of a hide and seek, while some dangerous terrain or staircases will give the players something to consider.

In my opinion, any room that big should be made into a proper arena :)

-HellFire-

Post by -HellFire- » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:47 pm

EA_Elemental wrote:When all cubes are eliminated i will quit teh cube! :lol:
I'm not sure if gopostal and me are the only one but I'm also sick of every map calling cube.
We never said anything about your map and 7T and even Andromeda is called cube by you, it starts to get annoying.
Look at your first map MH-EA_MAZE, wtf is that then?
One big cube with super spam, good job!

-SuPreMe-

Post by -SuPreMe- » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:15 pm

-HellFire- wrote: I'm not sure if gopostal and me are the only one but I'm also sick of every map calling cube.
lol your not the only ones believe me.
-------.[ ]
---- -//|::|\\
----////| .|\\\\ <- 2 times the arms 2 times the awesomeness!
-------||||
-------||||
------..< >
{MHM}