My First Map

Post all mapping and skinning related content here!
BiGbOsS
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
NoMoreSpam: Silver

My First Map

Post by BiGbOsS » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:38 pm

Hey guys here is my first map.
Nothing much just a mh level i made so that i can learn the basics of mapping.
This is the first version so go easy on me eh? lol :lol:

The level is called MH-BOXV1 because it was originally just a box lol.
I may make a version one, but this was just a map that i made for fun, so there might not be one.

This is pretty crappy lol but here is the link: MH-BOXV1

Yes this level IS supposed to be dark so make sure you have dynamic lighting on( there are search lights) if its too dark then maybe i will edit it a little.

Hope all of the files are there, give me some feed back please lol :wink:
BoSs is in the HOUSE!

Hermskii
Site Admin
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes

Good

Post by Hermskii » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:38 pm

Good going Boss. I wish I had time and know-how to even try to make a map. Lucky we have you and others learning and trying. I have not tried the map but will get it soon and look. Way to go!
~Peace~

Hermskii

Scify

Post by Scify » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:22 am

I look at map after reinstall UT second this week. I know what look for . I have test map before.
" If I had a brain, I'd be dangerous!"

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:26 pm

I still gotta try it LOL :lol: :roll:
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

BiGbOsS

Post by BiGbOsS » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:50 pm

Okay normally i would be fine with the few comments, but can the people who downloaded this map actually same somethin bout it?
Im not talking about hermskii, scify, and hook (thank you guys for at least saying something :) )!, but the other people who downloaded it, i mean it says there are 7 downloads, and thats AFTER i had to delete it and put it back up and change the url.
There were a few downloads before i re added it on to mediafire lol

Like i said normally i wouldnt mind, if there were only like 4 or 5 downloads i wouldnt say anything, but some feed back wouldnt hurt lol :lol:

PS even if its negative! :mrgreen:
Oh and i did get some feed back at hook's though, but i used a different url for his site, actually i used his upload feature :shock: no url at all lol 8)
BoSs is in the HOUSE!

K

Post by K » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:11 pm

Wow,
This is a nice first map!

Here is my critique of the play:

1.Starting out i can see you need to add a screen shot. Very easy to do.

2.In the first battle area you are fighting monsters from several cubes cut out of the dark walls of the dark room. Once they are all dead i noticed the stairs to go up ward. Are the stairs there the whole time? Or do they emerge when the monsters are dead? The reason i ask is because the steps are to big to run up. you have to jump up them. It is kind of annoying. But it could be used to slow players. I would prefer the steps to raise up after monsters are dead because you get more floorspace to run around before they emerge. They are big and take up allot of space in an already small room themed map.

3.I thought that the sliding door to the room with the skarrj should only open from one side. It should lock you in there once you enter. Maybe place the switch for the door on the floor in the tunnel leading to it, instead of using the door itself as the bump open timer.

4.I found myself in the big room with the warlord boss. After you kill him the trap doors open. This is a good room. some players will accidentally fall while battling the brutes and have a whole new problem in their face.

5.The circular tunnel with the attacking Krall is great. When i reached that point the krall where fanning out along the sides of the tunnel and it was amazingly bad ass despite its simplicity. I think this is my favorite section of the map.

6.Underwater section has nice textures on the walls and a nice feel when you are in the room. the hall way leading to it has two light sources that are out of place and look very wrong. They are right above the scuba packs. Speaking of light sources you need them all over. Rooms should have a light bulb or a torch if there is light in the room. Other wise where is the light coming from?

7.The last underwater section - water texture cube moves to reveal telleporter. You should do something with that. It looks unfinished and it kills you if you are above it when it opens. It also looks kind of dumb because it doesn't match anything else there.

8. Also the 2 elevators that take you down earlier in the map should be the same speed. It would be much more complete feeling.

9. On a whole the rooms are a bit small if there are allot of players , but i feel this make this map have some charm. Most of the maps i have played are to big. It is always a blast to cram allot of people together and have a good ole blood bath! The flow was nice throughout the whole map. None of the monsters are to easy or difficult. You did a super job.
Just put some tweaks here and there and you got a bad ass map.

10. How do you get to the bt room? I found it by ghosting. Is there a power up or a weapon in there?

Great work! 8)

BiGbOsS

Post by BiGbOsS » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:43 pm

In response to:
1. Maybe you can tell me how or point me to a tutorial? (btw the ones you posted helped me a lot!)

2. The stairs are floating above the whole time, then when you kill a certain fly, it triggers it to fall down so players can reach the lift.
In version 2 should i make them skinnier? so you can run up them?

3. HMM i like this idea too

4. Hey did you notice that i made the door for the brutes and kralls open randomly? Its so your distracted to fight the warlord, and you dont notice the door to open! any thoughts?

5. Thanks lol

6. This is True, if i release a V2 then i will make sure to add lights!

7. Its supposed to kill you otherwise it moves back down and it cant open again, any thoughts or tips? and i cant find a clear texture to make the walls of the teleporter, do you know of any?

8. okay will do

9. thanks again!

10. You get to the bt room by lift jumping with the boots, where the elevator takes you to the skarj room, you can lift jump up into a teleporter, i will post some screens later. Yes at the end of the bt room, you can pick up the weapons that the statues are holding (two instas and two deemers)

Thaks for the feed back K! Nice to hear from you! :wink:

I have some questions that i will post later with the screen shots, no time now lol 8)
Last edited by BiGbOsS on Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BoSs is in the HOUSE!

BiGbOsS

Post by BiGbOsS » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:29 pm

Okay here is how to get to bt room:

First off you have to go to the first room with the monsters, and destroy them all to access the stairs then run up them as if you are going to the skarj room.

Then you must grab a pair of jump boots and hop on to the elevator and lift jump (while the lift is moving up, you jump, giving you a boost jumping higher than you can regularly)

Here is where the bt teleporter is, i made it with no lights so its harder to see

Okay there you go bt room!
Here is the end of the bt room, you can pick up the weapons circled
One insta on the left
one insta on the right
and two deemers in the center
These statues are dedicated to the three main people that helped me
(from left to right)
1. X (has the x under his statue)
2. Hook (in the center with the deemers)
3. Shadow342 (a friend of mine at Hooks site)

If i make a second map i plan to have Kort Herm and Meat in it, not sure yet though, maybe a summer project.... lol

NOTE guess i will be comin out with a version 2 of this though Oh and Do you guys have any better names for it lol?
Box seems blah :?
BoSs is in the HOUSE!

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:01 pm

I LOVE it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

K

Post by K » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:25 am

1. The wiki is the best place to look for simple stuff like that. You just import the screen shots as textures "But all texture rules apply!" Meaning you must be a multiple of 2X2 , And i think it has to be like 256 colors and saved as a pcx file to import it. Once you import it and save it to the mylevel package , you then go to level properties where you direct it to the file as well as setting all the text in the beginning of the map , creator / min player / credits / map name.

Snoop around let me know if you need help , its pretty easy.

2. The steps should be shorter vertically.
Here is a little secret for you:
*Collision heights*
-Hallways must be a minimum of 96 units tall (This does not allow room to jump)

-Hallways must be a minimum of 48 units wide

-A player can jump on a surface 68 units higher than where he is standing w/o any trouble. NOTE: Strangely enough a player can SOMETIMES jump up to a surface as high as 72 units (maybe 1 out of every 10 tries at best). I'm not sure why it is that sometimes you can make the jump but mostly you can't, go figure. maybe we should write Tim Sweeney about that one.
That said pertaining to the stairs. You should make the vertical length of each step smaller then 68. try more near 32 - 42 , i haven't made steps in a long time. so just play with it.

11. Boss you should write more tutorials! That one is crazy good.

BiGbOsS

Post by BiGbOsS » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:45 pm

Thanks for the info!

Crap i meant to ask a mapping question, but when i went to open Unreal Ed the screen was all white, i know this is a pretty newbish questions but wat did i do? lmao here is a screenie for more help:
lol any help?
or do i have to reinstall my ut?
BoSs is in the HOUSE!

K

Post by K » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:05 am

Up at the top go to these tabs:
View>Viewports>configure> pick witch one you want.

BiGbOsS

Post by BiGbOsS » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:10 pm

Thanks again okay lol one more question:
How do you move a collision radius?
i accidentally moved it on the hook statue, and now people get knocked off because the collision pushes them off! here:
BoSs is in the HOUSE!

Hook

Post by Hook » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:49 pm

BigBoSs - I sent you my Tutorial on making Preview Screenshots!
I hope you got it.
Many of my tutorials are available on my site.
I should start posting them here again also. :roll:

K

Post by K » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:33 pm

yes you should!