MH-MHMVillage{FINAL} Ready for server!

Post all {MHM} related content here!
-SuPreMe-
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Re: MH-MHMVillage{FINAL} Ready for server!

Post by -SuPreMe- » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:56 am

Im not prepared to use towers, its just too much work and it really dont suit the map.

1. You can see parts of the sky box your not suppose to from the tower
2. Its MHM village not MHM tower land lol
3. They dont really have enough room inside

We will find a way around this BSP in Hellfires house eventually.
-------.[ ]
---- -//|::|\\
----////| .|\\\\ <- 2 times the arms 2 times the awesomeness!
-------||||
-------||||
------..< >
{MHM}

-HellFire-

Post by -HellFire- » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:15 pm

The Supreme One wrote: We will find a way around this BSP in Hellfires house eventually.
We at least can try anything to remove it or fix it.
I hope we fix it so it's ready for the server. (If Herm wants to add it)

:wink:

BIOMECH

Post by BIOMECH » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:15 pm

Your getting nitpicky on the name :wink:
The towers, if anything, have too much room inside!
They're so open plan, when you try to fit the things in they look lost, and you might need walls to divide them a bit.
If you can see parts of the skybox you don't like, can't you just make a smaller tower... :)

So much many issues, I'm suprised having a custom house is preventing problems :o :P

-SuPreMe-

Post by -SuPreMe- » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:16 pm

NOT TOWERS! >_<
im gonna attempt to fix HellFires BSP
if that fails ima cheat and shove some sheets over the top of the Bsp hold give it a bodge job
it will look comical at best if it works. :?
-------.[ ]
-------||||
-------||||
------..< >
{MHM}

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:58 pm

The Supreme One wrote:NOT TOWERS! >_<
What about replacing HellFire's bugged cottage with this house? (it comes from DM-Redeemer-SniperHeaven)

Plain Old Telephone Service

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:13 pm

It doesn't have to be towers, it can be any simplistic box-type building. Actually box houses are better because there are less faces than the octagonal towers. That DM map one would work fine, and could even be converted and used as a brush. Take care with all those windows though. That's a lot of glass to make if you clone the house a bunch. If it were me, I'd consolidate the windows to one or two larger ones.

Sup if you try to add bsp to cover bad bsp, it will only become exponentially worse. The game engine doesn't care about visibility, it computes everything as polygons. Adding more will only make the area hotter. You have to reduce them to ease it, there isn't any other way. I'm just trying to save you the hundred or so hours I already have invested trying to do what you are thinking.

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:03 pm

Here's the DM map:

dm-redeemer-sniperheaven

OK I've finished to take a look at the map and gopo was right, here's the hole in HellFire's house:

I've found also a minor HOM bug in the Gasbags Room:

BTW guys what's happened to the picture of my Necris Trainee skin?

also what's happened to Supreme's dancing brunette?

and finally, where's the MonsterEnd trigger? :shock:
Can't find it... :?
Plain Old Telephone Service

-HellFire-

Post by -HellFire- » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:52 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It means if I have to rebuild my entire house again!!!!!!
I spend a few hours making it good and now I got to do it again???

That bsp got to be fixed.

Hermskii
Site Admin
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes

Post by Hermskii » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:19 pm

Yeah. Yeah as in no way will I let that map touch {MHM} as it is right now. Gopo is totally right when he warns you that the stuff like the bitter fish will crash my server relentlessly. I never figured out why but my server is very wuss-like when it comes to fragments. Pieces of wood, rock, flesh and yes, little fish cause the ActorTestCanSeeME error and CRASH! This issue still happens about 1-4 times a day cycling the maps I already have.

Gopo, I'd like to find out what you learned cause it sounds like you figured out lots about this since we last spoke about it. I did tell you though that I thought it was the equivelent of a runtime error in Windows except I'm pretty sure it is a network timing thing instead.
~Peace~

Hermskii

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:32 pm

I know much more about it Herm. I'll explain it to you via PM, it's a bit technical. It can be a bit better via mod, but some parts are just integral to the engine. Not meaning to steer this ot but send me the pertinant error lines so I can see what maps are doing it, and I'll see what I can do. I'll bet I can ease a bunch of the canseeme crashes for you.

Herm don't give up on the village map completely. It would take a good weekend of work but it could be made server friendly.

-SuPreMe-

Post by -SuPreMe- » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:47 pm

Ok fish will be removed.

I ask you gopo is there any way of fixing this without replacing the houses?
Because i really dont want to remove them as alot of time and creativity has gone into making them all.

Im goin to make a few suggestions and if u could tell me if they would be beneficial or not that would be great.

1. Remove fish, Remove some scenary like trees etc
2. Copy Hellfires house and everything in it, Delete it, build, then paste it back into a different area and build.
3. Remove some stuff from Hellfires home, theres quite alot in there like candals and other random meshes then clicking build.
4. Removing Hellfires home completely and replacing it with a cardboard box.
-------.[ ]
-------||||
-------||||
------..< >
{MHM}

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:44 pm

Let me be perfectly clear Sup. You and I have had our share of disagreements but I have never given you bad advice or told you something that wasn't correct (as best as my abilities will allow). If anything I have a burning desire *for* the village map to work, because in a lot of ways that darn map is going to be my legacy in MH. No one will remember any of the mods or scripts, but they sure as hell are going to remember how messed up the village houses are.

The fish are an easy fix. They can be scripted a repair and replaced. The decos like the trees, boxes, rocks, etc have zero impact on things. The houses are the problem, more specifically the amount of detail involved in them. Take a look at the house mesh in ed and pay attention to all the lines used to make each house. Every single one of those faces adds to the "noise", and at a certain point its more than the engine can sort through. Here's an overly simple explanation of a bsp tree:
http://www.cgafaq.info/wiki/BSP_tree_overview
Think of each bsp face as an added voice in a crowd that is whispering. Eventually the whispers become loud enough as a group that you cant hear any longer. You can't fix it by adding voices, you can only lower the number of people whispering. (Man I suck at explanations)

The bottom line is you'll never fix the map without removing the cottages. One or maybe two would (might) be ok if they weren't too close in proximity but ideally they all should go. I have way more time tweaking and trying and testing on this failure of a map than anyone and I'm telling you its a complete waste of time to try to patch it. Delete the cottages, rebuild, and then try to find a suitable replacement for everyone to use. If you can't commit to doing that, you should take a pass on this map.

-SuPreMe-

Post by -SuPreMe- » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:54 am

Ok i understand now u explained it well.

its like a crampt room and u cant make it less crampt by adding more people.

Damn i just really want this map, to be done its such a great map but it just dont wanna give up giving us hell.

Herm if i can fix this bsp hole can upload the map onto MHM for a trial just to see how it runs?

i just wanna see it running on the server before we put in hours of work.
-------.[ ]
-------||||
-------||||
------..< >
{MHM}

BIOMECH

Post by BIOMECH » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:26 am

My thoughts are a less deadly shape of house.

Actually, I have many thoughts but I suddenly seem to have become the only person here who doesn't know the editor, so I don't really have a leg to stand on...

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:16 am

(I can't believe I'm going to post this.....)

If you want I'll spend the week fixing this map. I can use the dm cottage for everyone and get the errors fixed and the houses set. All you'd need to do is the texture work. That part is tedious but easy.

Another option is to try cloning the cottage again but with less detail. Remove as much as possible to try to alleviate the amount of faces in it. I'll try that too and post it up for you to use.

EDIT: I attached a map with a greatly improved cottage. It has maybe a fifth of the faces. With care you can replace the cottages easily, as the dimensions are the same. The stairs are gone, so just use a simple lift (youll see a handy notch by the fireplace for it). It sits on the ground too so all the decos will have to be pulled down but they will all "fit" as well as the doors, etc. This will take time to complete, but it will fix the errors. The other minor stuff I can help do when you finish (if you choose this route).
cottageredo.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.