Monster Hunt Mayhem IV - Annoucement + Rules

Post all {MHM} related content here!
Reiyel_3.0
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Monster Hunt Mayhem IV - Annoucement + Rules

Post by Reiyel_3.0 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:03 pm

Well, like I told you and like Gopo announced it a few days ago, we now have our own ppl vs ppl server!

Yes guys, due to an agreement with Gopo, we now have a server in which we can solve our differences :lol:

What's on the server?

JailBreak - We all know how fun this mod is!

Deathmatch - Classic DM without the lame translocator and amplifier!

InstaDeathmatch
- Like all the other mods, this time featuring ZeroPing mutator!

Yes, we have ZeroPing now in an effort to reduce lag. We will also upload more maps in the future. Your suggestions are more than welcome!

However, remember that this is more a friendly server, not a high competency one so think about having fun!

Monster Hunt Mayhem IV

IP: 68.232.163.90:7777

The admins so far are POTS and I. We'll have more admins in the future and might be the same we'll have for MHM3. Also, the rules for MHM3 and MHM4 are the same:

+ Any kind of sexual talk or behaviour is completely forbidden.. Also, no cursing on our server. The keepitclean mutator will also be installed soon.

+ No harrasment nor bullying to other players. If you want to boost someone, ASK FOR PERMISSION FIRST! If a player says stop, THEN STOP!

+ No cheating; don't even try or you'll be banned forever!

+ On MHM4 the "stealing slots" concept does not exist. You can sit and talk all you want. You don´t have to kill all monsters and run to the end of the map, you can goof around, you can boost eachother all you want, etc. Of course, respecting the first rule.

+ No political propaganda or offensive or racists attitudes/names on the server. This is serious, respect others!!

+ I´d like to state that I want players to have an appropiate behaviour and to use common sense everytime. Remember to be be polite and help other players!!!

Hope to see you on MHM4!

Monster Hunt Mayhem IV

IP: 68.232.163.90:7777
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.

Con una condición: que me dejes abierto el balcón de tus ojos de gata

BIOMECH

Re: Monster Hunt Mayhem IV - Annoucement + Rules

Post by BIOMECH » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:47 am

Reiyel_3.0 wrote:+ On MHM4 the "stealing slots" concept does not exist. You can sit and talk all you want. You don´t have to kill all monsters and run to the end of the map, you can goof around, you can boost eachother all you want, etc. Of course, respecting the first rule.
If MHMIV is just a P v P server you might want to revise that rule. Talking about killing monsters and ending maps doesn't quite make sense for JB, DM, and iDM.

Unless we have some kind of monster mutator or monstrous 4th maplist coming up, of course.

Reiyel_3.0

Post by Reiyel_3.0 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:53 am

BIOMECH wrote:
Reiyel_3.0 wrote:+ On MHM4 the "stealing slots" concept does not exist. You can sit and talk all you want. You don´t have to kill all monsters and run to the end of the map, you can goof around, you can boost eachother all you want, etc. Of course, respecting the first rule.
If MHMIV is just a P v P server you might want to revise that rule. Talking about killing monsters and ending maps doesn't quite make sense for JB, DM, and iDM.

Unless we have some kind of monster mutator or monstrous 4th maplist coming up, of course.
It's actually very simple my cow friend.

I copied and pasted the rules from MHM3 and missed that part.

We're still thinking about what to do with that 4th column.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.

Con una condición: que me dejes abierto el balcón de tus ojos de gata

BIOMECH

Post by BIOMECH » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:15 pm

It was pretty obvious, but I couldn't think of a way to say "You missed a bit when you copy-pasted" without it sounding bad.

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:23 pm

Hey there good buddy, you missed a bit when you copy-pasted! Attention to detail is SO lost on some people....

(something like that? :twisted: ) and GOPO will get in trouble if I have to edit out cussing on his behalf again.

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:55 pm

Tsk tsk Rei and copy-pasting stuff...
Plain Old Telephone Service

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Sun May 02, 2010 12:33 am

Guys I was checking the logs for a private issue, and I've found tons and tons of complaints. People complaining about almost everything, even broken maps on MHM3 not removed quickly enough from the mapvote!

So that you know, I currently removed from MHM4:

- Redeemers
- Amplifiers
- Belts
- Invisibility pick-ups
- SuperHealth
- Health Vials
- Translocators
- Bots
- Some custom DM maps

from all the game-types; nonetheless the JailBreak mod has an odd behaviour and use bots to even teams, so there will always be a bot no matter what I do, and if I try to manually remove it during the game the server crashes; plus even if the translocator is disabled some JB maps may still use it.

I also added Team DeathMatch and set a fraglimit of 50 for it; if you don't like it, it can be changed by editing the UnrealTournament.ini

@ Reiyel: please do NOT use the mapvote for game settings, it screws up all the gametypes.

@ Everyone else: if you think you can do changes better and faster than me, feel welcome to take my place, maybe I should join Hermskii's policy and add/fix one map per month in the future. This admin stuff is not a joke for me!
Plain Old Telephone Service

BIOMECH

Post by BIOMECH » Sun May 02, 2010 3:44 am

Jesus POTS :shock:

I'm not sure exactly what caused this as the only complaints I've seen are the usual player-to-player insults. But, whatever the source, the logs being full of complaints is almost natural. People will complain, whatever happens! Everyone has different styles, preferences, beliefs, or whatever you want to call them. You simply cannot create settings which please everyone.

Besides, its human nature to take things for granted, and it's also human nature to constantly search for improvements. In other words, you just can't please everyone, and even if you do, they won't stay like it for long. You could take people to paradise and they would start requesting updates within a month :lol:

Imagine the perfect server, with every map and mod...
"The mapvote column takes too long to load"
"Gametype X is overplayed"
"Gametype A is full of noobs"
"People abuse the translocator in CTF"
"Without the translocator we get stalemates in CTF!"
"Why hasn't this new map been added to the server?"
"WTF is with my ping!?"
"Please remove the impact hammer from AS"
"Why has the impact hammer been removed from AS? It's the sign of a pro!"
"Ugh, items in DM are what make it tactical and they aren't there!?"

I could go and on, but you get the idea. What I'm trying to say is people will always have complaints, they always have and they always will! But remember there's a world of difference between casual complaints and stuff people really care about. Complaining on-server is just casual, and it's almost a social activity. Remember the classic idea of gathering in a bar to talk about what's wrong with the world? :P

It's a testament to how good a server you're running that so few of these appear on the forum threads. MHM4 is a fun server, which we regularly meet on for various duels or all-out fragfests. We get random players in there, and have even had MHM Vs dU matches in JailBreak! I'm pretty sure I speak for everyone when I say the server is a good one, and I'm also pretty sure no-one will have the time, skill, and drive required to do your job.

Just...Calm down, you're doing fine, and remember only complaints brought up on the forums really count for much. :wink:

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Sun May 02, 2010 5:13 am

Pots you are really starting to stress over this. Ease up dude, you are gonna ruin the fun. Jesus you sound like me a year ago. :roll:

OK, look. STOP MAKING CHANGES. Am I clear on this? Leave the server alone. Things are fine. Stop tweaking trying to fix things. I told you it's like chasing your tail, you never win. If players want a change let them post it here, let it get discussed, THEN make a change. That leads me to the next thing...

STOP READING THE CHAT. Oi...I told you not to, but you aren't listening. People talk smack in the game. They "Expletive Deleted" and grouse and complain, it's just part of player DNA. Ignore it. If it is such an issue let them come here and openly discuss it. Oh, and DON'T READ THE CHAT (in case you forget).

Now stop being a jerk. If you don't want to do the job, tell me and I'll oversee the servers. I can make changes from a simple text or email very quickly, and I'm on the boards here daily. You are creating all this stress on yourself and there is no reason to be at people like this. Stop doing admin if it upsets you because posts like that are just going to keep people from playing. I told you every bit of this beforehand so it shouldn't be a big surprise. Now go take a walk and get some air.

-HellFire-

Post by -HellFire- » Sun May 02, 2010 5:36 am

To be honest the servers are fine, only thing that was annoying me was the Belt and it's gone so you won't hear from me. :P

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun May 02, 2010 9:44 am

Hoochie-coo. It's gettin hot in here! LOL. Yeah, admining to the full extent will make you lose hair if you try too hard. You can't please all of the people all of the time and many times, even pleasing most of the people most of the time using general concensus setting won't work. It was very hard for me to get to the level of this next concept that you will eventually reach and it is simply this:

It is great to be able to give the players what they want and I like to want to do it most of the time but what goes hand in hand with that is that players like having boundries set. I have found this to be true with physicians as well. You set the rules and they want to have a set of rules to play with. Then they have to try to find a way to get what they want now without breaking the rules but they do everything including going over the line until you smack them down. Players are like this too.

If you offer free money, people will take it. If you offer good service even for just a little money, only the serious player will take you up on it. Example. I say I'll do whatever ya'll (the players) want. Nameless says put all of Chico's maps on CG. Easy for him to say. Hard for me to do. My answer back: Give me the name and files for each of all of the maps. He comes back with just a few maps and I put them on. Done. We both got a little of what we want. The server just got a little bit better and nobody is burned out. Rest and do it all again when I feel like it. It is all good.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Blood Asp

Post by Blood Asp » Sun May 02, 2010 10:15 am

ok since you decided to remove alot of things let me remind you that Unreal made its name not necessarily because of its good graphics but its gameplay and the way every little thing makes a difference.

The golden U - Damage amplifier - useful in a firefight when 1 is surrounded by 2-3 other people, making unreal its name in being hard to get often and often levelling out the playing field.

The UT Shield Belt - Giving an extra 150 health points in the long run over the top of health, if you have this + 199 health then you may have a chance to survive even the heaviest of hits, Unreal made its name in this for levelling out the playing field again.

Health Pickups - obviously the normal health packs stop at 100, but if ur lucky enough to find a health keg or a bunch of Health vials, you can push ur health right up to 199, giving you are better survival chance, again making unreal great!

All these different things gave unreal the edge against being the best shooter game of 2000/1999 whateva, It had some tough competition from things like Doom/Quake/etc But all of these different things: The amazing weapons, the attention to detail of each weapon effect, the pickups and what they did, the relics... All of this gave Unreal Tournament its name as Game of the Year, Every single one of these represents Pure Unreal Tournament for what it is, if we are removing the base line of Unreal Tournament, what do we have left?

An Unreal Engine Weapon , with a Unreal Editor Map... Is this really what we want? to remove what MAKES UT? people may complain, let em, just know that while they may be complaining "The damage amp ruins the game!" just let them know that Unreal Tournament Made its name with its pickups, and the Golden U which has represented the Unreal Series for years, and probably years to come!

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Sun May 02, 2010 12:30 pm

As much as it pains me, I have to agree with EA :oops: Looking at the list of removed things, I'm left wondering if it better to just have a square box and piston arena.

BIOMECH

Post by BIOMECH » Sun May 02, 2010 12:48 pm

Personally, I believe his points on the Udamage and Shieldbelt were driven more by theory and patriotism than any real experience of the effects those items have on gameplay.

That being said, the health vials are just as handy as the health packs for recovering health, and they give a sufficiently small edge it won't unbalance combat. At the very least, the bonus health moves the fighting around a bit instead of creating "killzones" like we get in iDM matches. And a bot is better than no-one for unbalanced JB teams...

We should take a big, argument causing, community tearing POLL! :D

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun May 02, 2010 12:59 pm

I'm not taking a side but I have always liked the relics and many of the other cool additions that came with UT.
~Peace~

Hermskii