I'm thinking of reinstalling UT99 and MH but.....

Post all {MHM} related content here!
a nameless entity
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
NoMoreSpam: Silver

I'm thinking of reinstalling UT99 and MH but.....

Post by a nameless entity » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:41 am

While I am considering reinstalling UT99, I'm not sure just how to go about it. I had actually forgotten just how much tweaking this game required to get it playable to the maximum degree. I have a lot of UT99 stuff like Umods and other files stored on my PC, but I think they have not survived upwards of 10 years worth of scan disks and defrags. The Umod icons are not correct, and I suspect that they won't work any more.

I was aiming to do just a small install. No more S3 textures, or using Glide. I only wanted to install my custom crosshair, (but it looks like it's trashed too), the latest patch which I think is much later than the 436 patch I have here, and the monster hunt mod of course, with its patch. I've got those too, but they look trashed as well.

I went to this HOH page: http://hermskii.ipower.com/page3.html

But it seems to have been hacked. There is no MH umod and patch available when you follow the links. Just a lot of links to custom software from someone who seems to have hacked the page with a redirect. :(

I am little bit shocked at just how much I've forgotten lately. I used to be a pro at getting UT and Monster Hunt installed and all pimped out, and would give lots of advice to new comers. And now I'm the one who needs a refresher course in how to get this game going. And I need links to the necessary files that are still viable. :?
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

EvilGrins
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes

Re: I'm thinking of reinstalling UT99 and MH but.....

Post by EvilGrins » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:10 am

MonsterHunt · http://www.moddb.com/mods/monster-hunt

Can't help you on UT itself. Well, not legally. Hook had someone on his forum asking for a free download, which they said wasn't possible, but I stumbled across an entirely online free UT download, patches & the works, as its hosted in another country.

That'd be this · http://hooksutplace.freeforums.org/post ... tml#p17192

I've pretty much always had ut99 readily available as I never deleted it. That and I still have the original CD's, plus the whole package again in the Unreal Anthology collectors set.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:43 am

Nameless,

I will be happy to help.

1st the site isn't hacked. I moved the files and haven't updated the site to reflect the new location.

The umods won't look right until you install the game first.

Do you have the original install disk?

If so, install the game itself.

Then install the 436 patch.

No install your mods.

Let me know if you need anything else.
~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:23 am

It turns out I had everything I needed on my hard drive. I thought a lot of it was gone, but when I went to copy stuff over from a backup cd I made years ago, it kept asking me if I wanted to replace the file. :lol: I was just too impatient to find it all.

So the game is installed. It is patched to 436. I installed the Eavy server browser. I put in the bn skinchanger, and figured out once again the slightly confusing instructions on how to install my favorite custom cross hair. One thing that would NOT run was the "X console" mod that NR2000 sent me way back when. It just could not see the installation. Which was too bad, because X console is vastly superior to the default console.

I have 3 problems with my install at the moment.

1) I got no desktop shortcut, so I made one from the UT.exe in the system folder. Perhaps I did that too soon, for it would to take me to a set up screen where I was "running UT for the first time." This delayed getting going. So I have deleted the shortcut. Should I make another now that the game is patched, and ready to play?
Or is there some other fix that I need?

I don't seem to need the cd, but do seem to recall that you used to have to do something to play without it.

2) The sounds and music take a very long time to go away after I quit the game. What's up with that??

3) Monster Hunt Mayhem was down so I could not go there and d/l files into cache. :(

3a) CG was very laggy for me and I kept seeing the dreaded red disconnect icon at first.
However I was able to kick some bot butt, and only blew myself up the usual number of times. (Which proves that I'm still a terrible redeemer arena player :? :lol: )

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:37 am

In the old days you had to have the CD to play. I don't recall but I think the deal was you needed the 436 patch to play with no CD but you had to have the CD in the CD rom when you installed the 436 patch. If you didn't still have the CD then you needed the 436NoDelta patch which would install the 436 patch without checking to make sure you had the CD.

The sound is hanging on and still playing after you quit because you are using the D3D renderer. For some bat-crap-crazy reason that happens to lots of people. Switch to opengl if you have a good version of it installed and that issue goes away and there is no more waiting while your game is precaching when you first launch it!

MHM was down and I actually found that before you told me. I remoted in to that server and restarted it. Sorry about that. the server now runs out of virtual memory all of the time for no reason I have determined yet.

It sucks you had the red flag of lag. Nobody else has complained so I'm hoping it is your fault and not mine. I have been on my PC all night doing stuff so maybe it is me but more likely my out of memory server or your PC or connection is the issue.

For a good shortcut to play UT on a windows 7 computer do the following: Go to start, all programs, Unreal Tournament and finally get to the Play Unreal Tournament and right click on it. Select Send to > Desktop (create shortcut). There now you have a good UT shortcut to play. If you have XP just right click and drag the UT listing to the desktop and release it there. A pop up box will ask what you want to do and just click create shortcut here.

WOW! I haven't spent this much time on this forum in a very long time. NICE!
~Peace~

Hermskii

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:46 pm

Hermskii wrote:In the old days you had to have the CD to play. I don't recall but I think the deal was you needed the 436 patch to play with no CD
Actually the version update prior to 436, forget what it was called, had the option to not have the CD in first.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:18 pm

Good old 432? really? OK.
~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:01 pm

I know that the website that had the improved open gl renderer went down a long time ago. I had version 31 I think, and was very happy with that one. Later ones worked too, but I never noticed any difference. Hopefully I have that improved renderer stored on my hard drive someplace, or on one of the backup ut cd's I made.
Open GL was a pain on my original install though. I installed the ATI console along with the card drivers when I replaced my video card the last time. Open GL renderers really dark, and I needed to open the ATI console to ramp up the gamma because for some reason that function didn't work in the game. Then after playing I would have to turn the gamma back down again. What a pain. :roll:
But if it fixes that sound issue, then I'll give it a try.

And it was UT2k4 that needed a special tweak when it first came out in order to run without the cd. And another to get rid of that stupid splash screen. That was what I was remembering. :mrgreen:

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:44 pm

~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:16 am

Ah ty Herm. It's nice to see that I was either wrong, or that the website is back up again. Up to version 36 now? Well I have just put in version 34 that I have here and it has shut up the music after quitting.
And running a flat panel monitor with DVI seems to have bypassed my gamma problems. :D
One thing about my flat panel monitor though, it renders text poorly in game.

I can't get mapvote to bind to my tab key. I had to clear it from it's default job, but still couldn't get it to bind when map vote came up. Perhaps I need to play on a server that still uses the "old" map vote to be able to bind it. hmmm.

I just played a few maps with some newbs and Jim400. He's as good as ever. I came close to getting a telefrag off him, but.... we weren't playing UT horseshoes. :lol:

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:41 am

I searched and found this:

Don't forget to make a backup copy of the User.ini file, just in case.

Try with the "oldskool method": open your User.ini file with Notepad or a simple text editor (the file it's located in your UnrealTournament\System folder), then under the [Engine.Input] section search for the following entry:
Mutate BDBMapVote VoteMenu

Delete all old entries and set a new one to the letter "B":

Save and exit.
~Peace~

Hermskii

medor

Post by medor » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:44 am

Looks like you may disgust you to UT with all the post.

Yes there is a lot of setting to change for a efficient UT.
The error sound come from this default D3D.

There is a full UT optimized all i one UnrealTournament-V3.exe http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/foru ... hp?f=4&t=7

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:34 am

Install some UT ? My steps:
1) update 436nodelta
2) modify display settings to d3d9 or... OpenGL (latest) if you have d3d troubles - they can be easily googled,
2.1) destroy coronas, precache, and all craps who bug speed;
3) assign you desired keys using console "set input M mutate ..... ";
3.1) modify M as you want using other desired key
3.2) assign all your daily keys as you need
4) Set PurgeCacheDays=0
5) Remove all Unreal.EpicGames calls because they don't have ears for UT99 anymore - in U...T...INI
5.1) Browser, News Windows (nothing new for years) check at Hook's forum some player "How To" new hints.
7) If you encounter random troubles check for another "UnrealTournament.EXE" recompiled based on newer machines
8) Before to join anywhere save your INIS and set NetSpeed at maximum allowed by UT's menu (for LAN (20kb/s) - let servers to put you down or higher as they consider)

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:26 pm

Hey there Nelsona...

That would be a great advice to put into your forum section...HINT HINT!
~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:50 pm

Hermskii wrote:I searched and found this:

Don't forget to make a backup copy of the User.ini file, just in case.

Try with the "oldskool method": open your User.ini file with Notepad or a simple text editor (the file it's located in your UnrealTournament\System folder), then under the [Engine.Input] section search for the following entry:
Mutate BDBMapVote VoteMenu

Delete all old entries and set a new one to the letter "B":

Save and exit.
I have no idea what you mean by all this sir. Perhaps if my User.ini actually had an entry in it that said something about Mutate map vote, I would be able to see what you are driving at. But it doesn't have any such entry, so I do not.

I NEED the ability to call up mapvote. At this very moment on the map currently running on MHM, a huge contingent of skaarj have found their way into the little house at the very start where you spawn. You live for a maximum of 3 seconds, so there is not time to even turn to look to see where the door is, let alone run out of the little house to try to lure the skaarj away from the spawn point. All you can do is spawn, die. spawn, die. spawn, die. ad infinitum.

I tried to call up mapvote through the console, but could not figure out what the correct command is.