New Hebereke

Post all {MHM} related content here!
K
NoMoreSpam: Silver

New Hebereke

Post by K » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:55 am

I have decided to make a new map. Herm has a need on the server and i have an itch to make one so here we go.
This thread has been made so we can mold this puppy into something Jerkproof, for the map will be mostly BT obsticles.
Hermskii wrote:Based on "MH-Hebereke" style of MH/BT map, create a MH map that has no weapons, no monsters and enough slots to each and every obstacle for at least 5 players to be on any of the 5 equal obstacles at any given moment without getting in each other's way. This means that there needs to be 16 seperate start spawn points. From those spawn points each player needs to be able to run towards identical obstacles or at least enough that no 5 different players could ever stand together and block any other players from continuing during any portion of the map. That means no bottlenecks. It would need to be like a dirt-bike motorcycle race. Each player (based on the motorcycle analogy) runs the same race but they have to be aware of and be able to go around any other player at any given place in the map for any reason.

The map would have to include MH style triggers like being able to complete/win the map at the end of any map. No elevator should be able to be blocked or at least if it is by any player standing beneath it, there should be well more than just one elevator to use at all times. There can't be any hallways or doors that are not wide enough that several players can't run down them side by side. The point of this map is to have a MH map that can't be spoiled by a clan of players "hell bent" on ruining it for other players. The first such map like this needs to be easy. Real easy! Very EASY. Big platforms to jump to from one to another. Wide rails to balance and run along. EASY jumping task for all players yet the higher the map gets the more chance a player would die after missing an easy jump and falling all the way down to their death.
. . . . This will simply be a race through and obstacle coarse. No weapons. No monsters. No advantage to anyone. No areas that can bottleneck anywhere in the map. That's just about it.. . . . . .

Ok this is what i propose.
No bottlenecks.
Paths that are passable by more then one player at a time.
Easy obstacles that get harder as you progress through the map. "not to hard but new player trainable."
All different types of obstacles icluding but not limited to lift jumps, jump pads, Jump boots.
BTracks made of slightly larger steps and pillars, and lots of boobie traps.
multiple routes to finish of map.

Also :
I don't think we should leave out the weapons or the monsters.
If you want to have a BT server then go for it. The MH prefix means there will be monsters to hunt, and it is why we play the gametype.
"to hunt monsters!"
A straight out obstacle coarse would prove very boring.

I believe that if the course is noobie friendly then the monsters can be useful in certain areas so nobody notices the terrain is on the easy side.
If you are trying to jump across a bunch of pillars to get to the other side, it would be supreme if you had to fight some Gasbags along the way.

I would also rather not make the whole map one big room. There can be some big rooms you need to get to the top of , but i want to make it a journey through danger , not just a climb to the top.

The map will also look nice and the obsticles will look natural instead of bricks floating "unnaturaly" in the air.

I ask for any/all ideas , comments , opinions , discussion.

matrix

Post by matrix » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:02 pm

Having monsters is fine, of course, but I suggust no redeemers. And I really like your idea for making the bT bricks look realistic. Ah, I just read what Herm says. I think everything he had to say is perfect, though the elevator situation can be easy solved by this: if a player accidently/intentionally stands under an elevator as it descends, it kills them on impact. The End.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Yes

Post by Hermskii » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:02 pm

Yes,

I agreed with you on one of the other forums about needing monsters and some weapons. BIGIZ can stop boosting mostly so just make sure there are no deemers or special weapons. My point to me post was to make the map easy, and especially lamer proof. It needs like you said and I said too several lifts wherever their is one and passages so wide that 4 people standing next to each other could not block it.

Don't Masterpiece the 1st MH-KChan1.unr map. I say that because I think I'll want more and I think each one should gradually get harder. So what I'm saying is I'm counting eggs before they're laid. I hopeful for a MH-KChan2.unr and then MH-KChan3.unr etc. etc.

Thanks Kort!
~Peace~

Hermskii

K

Post by K » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:03 pm

Yes i forgot to add that all lifts will indeed kill players that stand under them.

Matrix brought some possible obnoxiousness to my attention.
All of the UT weapons have potential to trip up or annoy other players in some way.
I think the trick to this will be to make certain weapons unaccessible at specific obstacles. possibly by using respawn points with different weapons.

There is also the option of inbeding a reverse team damage into the map. "shooting other players hurts shooter and not teamates. this would kill someone shooting deemers at people instantly."

Was thinking also about looking into altering the properties of the deemer.
Depending on how players and monsters are classified , It might be possible to keep the blast kill radius but loose the force against player pawns.
If it is dooable then all new BT maps can be made with new noboost-deemer in map instead.
I know just the person to code it if it is necessary to make custom one.

I will be making this map as best i can. lol
But if it turns out well i will surly make another.
The construction is half the fun part.

Do you still run the Alters of madness map on CG Herm?
What did you think of that map? Visually i mean.
I intend to make this MH map much less complex but better looking.

matrix

Post by matrix » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:45 pm

I actually think just avoiding the redeemers in this map would be best. Because the high pitch hum the deemer makes really up nervousness with me.. knowing that there is a huge deemer flying behind you as you scurry along trying to find a safe spot.
But altering the deemer's properties would make sense too.

-SuPreMe-

Post by -SuPreMe- » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:04 pm

wow u can map? i cant wait too see it, I was workin on a BT map but gave up movers kept screwing up with invisible platforms :cry: ive also got another MH map in the works but jus never get down too finishining it
-------.[ ]
---- -//|::|\\
----////| .|\\\\ <- 2 times the arms 2 times the awesomeness!
-------||||
-------||||
------..< >
{MHM}

Flatus

Post by Flatus » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:05 am

Make it so if you want to progress to a harder area, you get rewarded with a better weapon, but where it's at is a harder monster to overcome it so as to get it. So to start off a small weapon with a small monster & then getting stronger and bigger as one advances. :wink:

K

Post by K » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:16 pm

Flatus wrote:Make it so if you want to progress to a harder area, you get rewarded with a better weapon, but where it's at is a harder monster to overcome it so as to get it. So to start off a small weapon with a small monster & then getting stronger and bigger as one advances. :wink:
I will use this idea.
It will not stop lamers , But it is a good idea and i will implement it.
It actually helps me allot cause i was at a standstill where to go next with the design. If i am building around weapons that dictate monsters witch inturn dictate surroundings.
"you wouldn't have titans on BT bricks"
Ah, but his pounding could knock you off! :shock: Another good idea!

This map will be good.
The wheels are turning . . . .

matrix

Post by matrix » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:21 pm

Okay, here is my 3D visual idea, (which I created in Google SketchUp), of a jerkproof elevator, that also protects against the flak shell situation..Kchan.

*Note that part of the wall of the side of the lift shaft you are seeing isn't there, I made it transparent to better express my thoughts of this design.
*Also notice that the actual lift in this screenshot is yellow.

Kchan, please email me with your thoughts.

K

Post by K » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:05 pm

Thats very nice. . . .

The situation for the rest of you who dont know what this is dooing in this thread :lol:
. . . . is players sometimes make the lift stay up by shooting under it with the flack cannon.

It looks like the shells would just ricochet and hit it anyway?
Have you tested it ?
How do you know it will work?

matrix

Post by matrix » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:20 pm

noooo, directly shooting the bottom of a descending lift doesn't make it go back up. I have tested that. Flak shells between the bottom of the lift and the ground cause it to go back up. A flak shell under a lift has the same affect as a player under a lift.

Flatus

Post by Flatus » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:19 pm

Don't forget also to make the health of them beast proportional to the strength of the weapons about to be used on them. Not sure though if there's a way for the amount of players in the map to adjust the health too. For example if only 1 or 2 are playing it, the monsters health should be a bit less than as if 5 or 6 are there due to the teamwork needed to defeat them. So basically the more playing, the more the health would be for the monsters. Hmm, sure sounds like a mut would be needed actually, but that idea (if possible) would be nice too. :wink:

K

Post by K » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:55 am

We will cross that bridge when we get to it.

Right now i just want to get the architecture built. I am leaving spots for monsters to imerge from.
I have so far constructed a rough entry room, and two following rooms.
ED fcked up on me last night and led to loosing some stuff but it was for the win cause i got some better ideas constructed out of it.
I want to get a little but more done then i will post some pics.

matrix

Post by matrix » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:14 am

So I guess the strive for a cheatfree Hebereke is over?

K

Post by K » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:47 pm

No i am still working on my map. the first of four paths is nearing completion. I have some vague ideas for the other 3 paths working in my head.