EverSmoke.umx problem

Post all {MHM} related content here!
Hermskii
Site Admin
NoMoreSpam: Silver

EverSmoke.umx problem

Post by Hermskii » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:57 pm

Two maps I use each use the same file. The maps are MH-Bluff and MH-NaliPrison. It is common for maps to use the same files as other maps but sometimes this causes a problem like in this situation. Both of these maps use a file called EverSmoke.umx which is fine but the problem is one map calls it EverSmoke.umx and the other calls it eversmoke.umx.

The problem is that redirects are case sensitive meaning I can only us one version on my high speed redirect server since you aren't allowed to have 2 files with the same name in the same place at the same time even if one file is in all caps and the other is all lower case.

So that is my problem. Can any of you search through your collection of MH maps for the file EverSmoke.umx and tell me which maps you have that use this particular file name. My intension is to remove whichever map I have that has the incorrect version UNLESS...........

Unless a mapper here wants to edit one of these maps for me so it calls for the exact same case sensitive spelling as the other map and then both maps can be cycled all of the time or rename one of the eversmoke files for me to EverSmoke10 to avoid the whole same name problem in the 1st place. This is one of those things that I hate about being an admin. I can't make maps but I can tell people how to name them and how to ensure they don't cause this kind of issue just because they are lazy.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hermskii
Site Admin

Great!

Post by Hermskii » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:14 pm

Great! It seems I have the same problem with TGES22pMarblboro too with the files called UTemple.umx.

It too is used in several MH maps but is using a different case than those so it refuses to send.

I heard MH NaliPrison Sux. I will remove it from the cycle. I will remove this additional copy of TGES 2 and just leave the original one for now. This was why I didn't run the TGES maps in the first place a few years ago now that I think about it.

Someone needs to fix this crap and mappers should not be mad when it happens to their maps meaning when they get fixed. The damn mapper should know better when using other peoples files to at least name them exactly the same as the original. Like I said, this is just a case of being lazy.
~Peace~

Hermskii

-SuPreMe-

Re: Great!

Post by -SuPreMe- » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:37 pm

Hermskii wrote:Great! It seems I have the same problem with TGES22pMarblboro too with the files called UTemple.umx.

It too is used in several MH maps but is using a different case than those so it refuses to send.

I heard MH NaliPrison Sux. I will remove it from the cycle. I will remove this additional copy of TGES 2 and just leave the original one for now. This was why I didn't run the TGES maps in the first place a few years ago now that I think about it.

Someone needs to fix this crap and mappers should not be mad when it happens to their maps meaning when they get fixed. The damn mapper should know better when using other peoples files to at least name them exactly the same as the original. Like I said, this is just a case of being lazy.

THIS SERVER SUX NOW ANYWAY ALL PPL DO IS VOTE FOR THE HEREBREKE MAPS OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGEN AND THE TGE'S MAPS SUCK!!! SUCKY SUCK SUCK BOLLUX WANKETY TUCK PISS ON A TRUCK AND SHOUT.

OH AND U MIGHT ASWELL JUS DELETE BLUFF CONSIDERING NO ONE WILL LET ANYONE FIX IT BECOURSE THEY NEED PERMISION EVEN KNO ITS A ORIGINAL UNREAL MAP SO THERE FOR CONSIDERING UNREAL AND UT R OPEN SOURCE ITS ALLOWED TOO BE EDITED SO DARN.

(Edited by the man)
-------.[ ]
---- -//|::|\\
----////| .|\\\\ <- 2 times the arms 2 times the awesomeness!
-------||||
-------||||
------..< >
{MHM}

Hermskii
Site Admin

Yeah

Post by Hermskii » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:06 pm

You aren't the first to complain about it. I am considering removing the jumper maps though I will use Kort's no matter what. C'mon man. Watch the verbals here please too.
~Peace~

Hermskii

-SuPreMe-

Re: Yeah

Post by -SuPreMe- » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:58 pm

Hermskii wrote:You aren't the first to complain about it. I am considering removing the jumper maps though I will use Kort's no matter what. C'mon man. Watch the verbals here please too.
umm yer sorry bout the verbals lol i was in a angry/strange mood
-------.[ ]
---- -//|::|\\
----////| .|\\\\ <- 2 times the arms 2 times the awesomeness!
-------||||
-------||||
------..< >
{MHM}

[J]Man

Dudes, another map bug!

Post by [J]Man » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:34 am

Ay Herms, you might remember that TGES5 doesn't work either man. It's got that SPACEMARINES thing that won't work. No offense, but i get P-I-S-S-E-D [ :evil: ] when the map is TGES 4 or 5. I see other ppl play on these maps, like POPMAL, but the 'server refused to send the file.' so, ugh, it's just sumthing I want to place in ur head. I mean, i don't LITERALLY want to be in ur head. too krazy man. lol. thanks dude!

K

Post by K » Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:14 am

If it is just one map responsible for mismatch then i can oblige with a fix. The whole map needs to be re-texured though witch is a pain in the ass.

If it is more then one then just remove both from the server, along with the herberke maps. They are not MH maps IMO.

As far as my map goes, it is on hold till this weekend is over. Then i can start work on it again. Screenshots to come.

Hermskii
Site Admin

No

Post by Hermskii » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:01 pm

No. it isn't about the textures. It is about the way the texture file or any file was named that was used when building the map. Lets just say that several different maps were made with the file SpaceMarines.utx. Then this one get made but the utx file at the time was named SPACEMARINES.utx.

Now, that map calls for that file written that way or it gets rejected as it is being rejected. I have approached many people about rebuiling the map with the file properly written and nobody except WarMaster has been willing at all.

I respect that a mapper should get his just due for making the map no mattre what but if he screwed up and named it mh-newmap instead of MH-NewMap then I feel it should be fixed and called MH-NewMapV2. If you simply fix the map and don't alter it otherwise and include the original readme and who knows what else came with it plus your own little section saying how you fixed it and renamed it using the original naming convention with corrections, I don't see why that sould not be an issue.

Look at your own copy of Hebereke. It is all in lower case including the MH- part. That is sad and it should be corrected.

TGES maps all have files that are used in other maps. Too bad the author of the later ones used badly written verions of the files that are required. Had he used the properly written files, this would not be an issue at all.

Note: I am seeking a mapper to re-compile these TGES maps with the proper file used. The author's name will stay the same. The map will stay the same. Everything will be the same except the files that the map calls for will be in the proper case as they are in the many other maps and thus the error won't happen. Any takers?
~Peace~

Hermskii