KortChan has another great idea!!!

Post all {MHM} related content here!
Hermskii
Site Admin
NoMoreSpam: Silver

KortChan has another great idea!!!

Post by Hermskii » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:34 pm

Hey all, Kort PM'd me with an idea that I think will appeal to many of you. I was supposed to mention this stuff to all of you last night but got hung up on something else.

I'll let Kort cut and paste then edit what she sent to me for your viewing pleasure. I think it is brilliant actually so read it well and consider it. Reply back to her with your comments. I think I know who I'm going to give MHM to when I retire. So far, it will certainly be Kort. Thanks Kort for all you do.

For those of you who don't know, the plan is when I get sick enough of running these servers, my plan is to send the actual server to my replacement for free. I simply ask that the person stick to the standards I've tried to set for this server's community.

My server was given to me by Schwantz who used to run Schwantz's Redeemer Arena. Yes the original S.R.A. server. When he got bored, he mailed me a server from Canada where he lives. He did it for free and I'm grateful. I plan to carry on the basics of this tradition once I retire from this stuff. I expect this time is coming up in about the next 1-3 years. Later!
~Peace~

Hermskii

Flatus

Post by Flatus » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:49 pm

Hey, stick around till good old UT turns 10 yrs old in 2009! Just 2 more years now. :wink:

K

Post by K » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:28 pm

WTF? is all this crazy talk?

Well if Herm says its good enough for a thread i guess i will post the original message.
kortniechan wrote:If you remember on the backup server i have the la mapvote setup with three columns for MH maps and a fourth column reserved for something special.

Well, My something special stems from an idea i had a long time ago on my old server that can now be a reality.
I'll explain.
There is some MH map where you are fighting Terrian "soldiers" instead of monsters. I thought this was a kick ass idea and a nice break from fighting monsters. BUT back then I couldn't find a way to get all the online players on one team and the bots on the opposing team.

Recently I have come across a mod that overrides team balance. It pits players against bots. I have set up an Assault game where joining players will fight an squad of bot soldiers who are all customizable in behavior and skin.

I don't know if you are familiar with Warhammer40K but:
When my old server was up i wanted so badly to have a SpaceMarines vs Genestealers server. All the players joining would be default into a spacemarine skin and all the bots would be Genestealers " Aliens the movie looking villan , only blue and purple in color instead of black."
Anyhow this is totally doable now, and i am excited about the possibility.

Thoughts on the matter?

I have set up the last column in the mapvote with the bots vs players mod installed and the maps are assault maps. Try it out and give me some input. Of course the more players there are the easyer it will be but the same goes for MH.

Things i am wondering about are the
time limit - whats good for 1 person to complete map.
Bots - How many should be in there on the opposing team? I don't want to little or to many. Just enough for any player load to handle. Remember they will be respawning too. It is the time limit you have to worry about to complete the map.

The server will be up tonight under the name:
Monster Hunt Mayhem (MHM) #2 TESTING ((((((((((

[edit] The server is up right now, but it needs allot of tweaking in the Assault column. Whatever, this is silly.

Do think this idea is worth making a thread about?
There is still the issue of forcing the Warhammer40k skinn on joining players. I think if i Valhalla will let me change the default to 40k skin then it is on like donkey kong.

What do you all think of this idea?
Does anyone remember the map i speak of with the male soldiers instead of monsters?
Does anyone know what "Space Hulk" is?

K

Post by K » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:33 pm

here are some pics for those who dont know.
There are already skins for both races. It is just to sweet.

Hermskii
Site Admin

I love it...

Post by Hermskii » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:01 am

I love it. Peeps, get pn board. You and a team of same skinned folks verses the bots. They too have they're own skin. You know who to fight, Just do it. Nice to fight something you have never seen before too. Imagine if it were set to that setting that makes the bots equal to you. It is what I would do. Check it out and report here. Later.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Flatus

Post by Flatus » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:57 am

Yup, I remember that map (actually 2) that had these very hard 'marine' bots. The name slips my mind since I played it once on a server, but it sure was different.

As for the bots themselves, they could be set to adjust to the skill being played at (does work somewhat). You could also set it with the amount of players that come onto the server, just like Mr. Loathsome has on his Assault server. Not sure if you know him or his long running servers he's got (including a COOP one too), but it's set to have 2 cow bots get on for every player. It's not a huge server (limited for 5 players because of the number of bots it'll get- 10 & any more would be just insane!), but works well & if a player leaves, so does the 2 bots obviously. He has played some MH before, so it's possible you have seen him around. He also has a small website to get the files needed for the COOP game & some other goodies.

But yeah, I'm game for that, since I got into Assault right from the get go! :wink:

K

Re: I love it...

Post by K » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:35 pm

Finaly located the tyranid skin. I'm about ready to test it out.
Here is a pic.
Shot at 2007-09-23

Hermskii wrote:I love it. Peeps, get pn board. You and a team of same skinned folks verses the bots. They too have they're own skin. You know who to fight, Just do it. Nice to fight something you have never seen before too. Imagine if it were set to that setting that makes the bots equal to you. It is what I would do. Check it out and report here. Later.
I have the bots set to auto adjust skill so they will be as good as the players are. If you go in there kicking ass they will kick back.

Does anyone know if the auto adjust works in reverse?
If a newbie player comes in alone will the bots dumb down?

ps:
On a side note , now that i have the tyranid skin again , when my current map project is finnished i will begin on a new MH map that you fight a sht ton of these guys in the map , playable on a regular MH server. The map will be a giant space ship called : MH-Sanctuary of Darkness

-SuPreMe-

Post by -SuPreMe- » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:29 pm

hows ur herebreke map comin on? i wanna see screenies :P
-------.[ ]
---- -//|::|\\
----////| .|\\\\ <- 2 times the arms 2 times the awesomeness!
-------||||
-------||||
------..< >
{MHM}

Hermskii
Site Admin

Yeah

Post by Hermskii » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:34 pm

Yeah, I didn't want to say anything but I've been wanting ask about it myself. Later.
~Peace~

Hermskii

K

Post by K » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:15 pm

The map is coming along nicely. It will be a main room with four very different paths. All of witch revolve around a big water treatment facility.
I have the first path almost done geomtricly. and about half finished texture wise. I need to put alot more work into it but what i have so far is a good start.

On the topic of the Server:
I have uploaded all the stuff and the server is now running please test it out.
Mapvote window:
First 2 columns are MH
3rd and 4rth column is Players verses Warhammer 40K Genestealers. one is DM one is Assault
Monster Hunt Mayhem (MHM) #2 TESTING ((((((((((((((((
<- server name

Here is a link on the nasty race you will be fighting. Read up if you have never played 40K , btw Starcraft was based on this stuff.
http://kofler.dot.at/40k/tyranid.html

Later i will figure out how to put the Spacemarine skin on players that join the last two collums. I'm thinking i can do it in Vallhala Avatar.

Go test it out and give some feedback. It still needs allot of tweaking. Soon i will configure it to put more Baddies in the bigger maps and less in the smaller ones. right now there are 4 in there on auto adjust skill level.
Have fun.