Need help with movers!!!

Post all {MHM} related content here!
-SuPreMe-
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Need help with movers!!!

Post by -SuPreMe- » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:19 pm

k this is adressed too those who can map, everytime i make a mover it screws up, it goes strange that u can walk straight through it and it like a non solid object i dont understand cos ive done everything right ive made the door brush, textured it and intersected it then placed it were i want it and clicked "add mover" then i set the keyframes but im able too walk straight through the mover, plz HELP wat ave i done wrong cos this is makin it really anoying too make a map!!! HELP!!! :( :( :(
-------.[ ]
---- -//|::|\\
----////| .|\\\\ <- 2 times the arms 2 times the awesomeness!
-------||||
-------||||
------..< >
{MHM}

K

Post by K » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:37 pm

Here is how you make a mover and it will work for elevators and doors.
Just remember onething. The center pivot point is where it will bend if you are makeing a swinging type thing.

Anyway here we go.

1.subtract a room about 512X512

2.make a red builder brush the size 128X128

3.Place it inside your room on the floor in the center.
DO NOT ADD IT OR ANYTHING YET!

4. rightclick on the Mover button . "its right under the disintersect button.

5.select mover.

6.You will now move the red builder brush and will se the Purple mover brush has been added there. This is the part where you put the mover brush in the location it will be before it moves. exampl - the door is shut till you open it. this will be the shut position or the botom of the elivator. get it? read on . . . since this is an example leave it in the center of the room on the floor.

7. now rightclick on the purple moverbrush. select Movers > Key 1
nothing will happen when you doo this, but ah yes you are almost there.

8. Move the elivator to the top position , or the door to the open position.
In this case move the box to the ceiling or somewhere else in the room ok.

9. rightclick again on the mover. But this time select : Movers > Key 0
When you do this if all was correct it will snap to the origional closed resting position at the center of the room on the floor.

10. Insert a player start actor and some lights around the room.

11. Build the whole thing with the build all button and hit test play.

12.You should be able to walk up to the box, and when you touch it it will move to the location you set . Congrats you are now an expert on making movers.

13.To get more involved you can go into the properties and change what will trigger it to move.

also to put a texture on it you rightclick on the mover and then select Movers > Show Polys
Then you can apply a tex to it. Other wis have the one you want selected in the tex brouser when you build the mover and the tex will go on automaticly.

Try it out and see
Any questions?

-SuPreMe-

Post by -SuPreMe- » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:16 am

yer i done all that i made a small room in my map too make the mover brush i made the builder brush the way i wanted it then built it then textured it then intersected it then i placed my new intersected brush too the place were i want my mover then clicked add mover then i moved the red builder brush out of the way and right clicked on my mover brush and clicked key point1 moved it there then clicked key point zero, then loaded up the map walked upto the mover and was able too walk straight threw it, strange cos wen i shoot it i can see the bullet holes but im able too walk threw it, this aint the 1st time this has happend ether it happend on naliprison thats why it has no doors and it happend on a BT map i was makin but had too abandon it for this reason. i really dont understand why this happends if i dont manage too fix it im afraid ima have too give up mapping :(
-------.[ ]
-------||||
-------||||
------..< >
{MHM}

K

Post by K » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:47 pm

You didn't change any other properties in the mover brush?
Default mover is solid. Check to make sure it is. right click on it and make sure it is not semi or nonsolid.

You said you intersected something?
Did you transfer polys to the red brush when you were making the origional shape of the door? Was the original a solid?

When you clicked key 0 did the mover snap to the start position?

-SuPreMe-

Post by -SuPreMe- » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:03 am

kortniechan wrote:You didn't change any other properties in the mover brush?
Default mover is solid. Check to make sure it is. right click on it and make sure it is not semi or nonsolid.

You said you intersected something?
Did you transfer polys to the red brush when you were making the origional shape of the door? Was the original a solid?

When you clicked key 0 did the mover snap to the start position?
i changed nothing in properties

i made sure it was solid

yes i intersected the door brush i made and textures
dunno wat u mean by transfering polys but on my mover wen u click show polys they apear, the original should be solid it was just a normal brush

yer it went bak too place wen i clicked 0

its strange cos i can shoot the mover but can walk throo it, somthing might of happends wen i intersected it maybe ill try makin a mover without intersecting if thats possible.

is there a way of attaching files too the forum? that way u could look at it or do u have msn? if u do my addi is AshOmen@hotmail.com
-------.[ ]
-------||||
-------||||
------..< >
{MHM}

K

Post by K » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:42 pm

If you realy need someone to look at it just put it in a zip file and then google free file hosting.
Upload it there and post the link. I think Putfile.com is free.
I can't think of anything else it could be other then the intersecting may have done something.

Still , What is the shape you are using for a door that you need to intersect something?

-SuPreMe-

Post by -SuPreMe- » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:53 pm

kortniechan wrote:If you realy need someone to look at it just put it in a zip file and then google free file hosting.
Upload it there and post the link. I think Putfile.com is free.
I can't think of anything else it could be other then the intersecting may have done something.

Still , What is the shape you are using for a door that you need to intersect something?
k ill try uploading it, its just regual rectangle that rises and drops, ive followed intructions on a unreal mapping site and did exactly wat they said so i have no idea why it aint workin :(
-------.[ ]
-------||||
-------||||
------..< >
{MHM}

K

Post by K » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:50 pm

The_ Supreme_ Nali wrote: its just regual rectangle that rises and drops, ive followed intructions on a unreal mapping site and did exactly wat they said so i have no idea why it aint workin :(
I have a feeling it is because you are intersecting.

The most important laws of mapping:
1) Keep it as simple as possible. "makes engine work less and map runs smoother!"
2) Keep it all in Multiples of two."I never go below a 4 on the grid snap.

You don't need to intersect anything if all you are making is a rectangle.
Use the red builder brush - make it the right size by right clicking on the button and inputting the exact size you need.
The mover does not tecnicly need a place to go when it moves. It can move through a wall into nothing and players will be none the wiser.

-SuPreMe-

Post by -SuPreMe- » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:09 pm

ok i offically give up ive copied a mover from another map resized it and STILL walks throo it, strange thing is i put in fly too try and fly around the mover and near the middle it all of asudden worked and moved but why is it LIKE THIS ARRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :!: :!: :!: :!: i even tryed makin a mover without intersecting and the same thing happend yet 1 time it went solid but dint move atall, i think gods just being a "Expletive Deleted" and doesent want me too make a map!!!
-------.[ ]
-------||||
-------||||
------..< >
{MHM}

K

Post by K » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:15 pm

You have done it then.
It was solid. You should just redo all the keys on the mover and all will be fine. You know it is working when it snaps back to start position.

I feel like you are getting frustrated and making mistakes.
Don't get discouraged. Rome was not built in a day.
Slow down & Take your time, BUT DON'T GIVE UP. :P
I know you can do it.

Dont do any copying or intersecting or anything fancy cause it might not work then.
Follow the tutorial i wrote for you word for word in your map. It will work because i do the same steps a million times and everytime it works.
Make the red builder the right size by inputing the "height,width,breath"
I have faith in you young padawan!

Just get it to move first, put textures on later. one thing at a time.
If you are unclear about any step just ask.