Hermskii
Site Admin
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Another MHM Update...

Post by Hermskii » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:57 am

After several days of running the server I have been able to see that I still have a crash problem. I have again started rebuilding and have already determines many things that should have and chould have caused issues. I have fixed these errors already BUT the crashes are still happening and new problems are popping up.

I have tried this on two different types of installs with and with out mods and I'm getting odd issues all over the place. Example: Say I start a dedicated server from in the game on one PC. If I connect to it from another, all is well so far. But if on the server I mouse over the UT icon and right click on it to pop up that menu it has, the connection I have to the game will show a red flag and I'll loose connection after 15 seconds. When I reconnect, my name will be Player1 instead of my real name. I can type messages but when I check the logs, they are not there. I'm tired and am going to bed. The server is down and I don't expect to restore it until I can figure out all of these dumb little issues.

Please focus on Kort's server since hers runs with no issues so far. Later!
~Peace~

Hermskii

K
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No

Post by K » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:10 pm

Well we don't know yet if mine is crashless.

Has anyone ever been on there and anything strange happen?
Was it the map freezing up or the server freezing or crashing?

That is a really interesting prob Herm,
I know for a fact that UT is buggy though.

Consider this:
I have read that if you are running a dedicated and you open the UnrealServer Console by way of rightclicking on the trey icon , you can freeze up the server if you resize or move the console window around to much. Crazy!

Q for you herm.
Have you ever considered running the server on a linux install? It runs UT totally more reliably/efficiently then a win system does. It also has less then half the problems win systems do because it uses way less processes.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Good

Post by Hermskii » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:32 am

Thank God! You heard this happens. I have burned another night trying to figure out why this is happening. I have run into so many issues tonight I can't recall them all. Yes, if you mouse over or resize the menu you mentioned, the server doesn't crash but it drops all internet connections. If you take the mouse off it, everybody can join back up and it will still be at the same place in the same map.

I can't see any chat being logged in the server log. None. I have been able to before but not now. I think a XP patch altered the firewall or something. I can't figure why I can't see chat. If I can't see it then when peeps report bad players using the ***** to lead with the complaint, I won't be able to find it in the logs because they aren't there. I join, I chat I leave, I bring down the server and check the logs and there is NOTHING as far as what I said. Only that I connected and left. Maybe I need to unsuppress something in the .ini but I never had to before.

I have a copy of GOTY. My GOTY is only patched up to 432 and only includes Bonus packs 1, 2 and 3. There are no Bonus Pack 4 files on it. Then I found that the EpicCustomModels.u file is different on the Goty CD than the one you get in the official Bonus Pack that includes it. CRAZY!

I still have not ruled out Bigi mod as being a crash issue, Valhalla Avatar as being a crash issue, Server adds as being and issue, MapvoteLA13 or any other mod I run. I have a pure, plain full install of the retail UT CD running as a server and the same install as a player on 2 different boxes. I can connect, play and everything is pretty good but chat logging and I will not move an inch forward until I figure out why.

I have not tried Linux and won't because I'm old and afraid of new stuff. Seriously. I know others like it . I won't is the plain and simple answer so I won't even try. Insert "Administrator Privilege" here.

At one point, when I'd connect to the test server, it would send EpicCustomModel.u to me at high speed and then again at slow speed. CRAZY I TELL YOU. I don't know what changed since I last built the servers but this crap is killing me. I'm really hoping to be up and running by Christmas. That is my goal. Later!
Last edited by Hermskii on Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Peace~

Hermskii

K

Post by K » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:43 pm

Hermskii wrote:I have not tried Linux and won't because I'm old and afraid of new stuff. Seriously. I know other like it . I won't is the plain and simple so I won't even try. Insert "Administrator Privilege" here.
I understand. It is allot to take on to learn Linux. I started but never finished.

As for the server. You should clean install and patch up to at least 436. Simply because that is an epic official patch witch will probably fix most of the weired new problems you are having.

As for the server console window messing up connections:
If i ever use it i just open it scroll down and then i close it. I use other ways of doing work on the server. I think it is safer that way.

Hey are you using a router? Why the need for XP firewall? I dislike win firewall so much i disabled mine completely. I hide being the router alone and i have never been attacked or had problems.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Yep

Post by Hermskii » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:38 pm

Yep, Linux is doomed as far as me using it.

I did use a clean install and I did patch it up to only 436. Like that, I could make sure I had most simple and pure of a server install possible that meets the minimum server requirments. I also only went up to 436 so that if it worked OK I could then focus on higher patches possibly being my problem.

I am behind a router and yes, I did disable the Windows firewall too. Still there is no chat logging. Pizzaman said that I have to have a chat logger to see chat and offered me ACLS or something like it to log the chat. I replied that I never used anything before and was able to see all chat before. Matrix and I noticed this problem about a month back when we were scanning logs for reported trouble makers.

Back to my test server.... Later!
~Peace~

Hermskii

K

Post by K » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:44 am

Good work so far, keep it up. :D

whenever you have some free time look into the bat file for me .
maybe my server can help solve the mystery. 8)

Hermskii
Site Admin

Bat

Post by Hermskii » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:29 am

It will have the bat file ready for you late tonight.
~Peace~

Hermskii

K

Post by K » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:57 pm

No worries, just thought it might help you.
I am in no hurry to fix my server.