Hermskii
Site Admin
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Grapple Hook from beginning to end???

Post by Hermskii » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:25 am

Hey Hammer, can you chime in here real quick and explain how to set up and use the grapple? I'm an idiot so go slow. Step by step to bind a key to make it work please. Thanks!

BTW, I think I have mine set up already but I just don't use it. I can look and see what I bound it to. It is a setting in the Chaos Mod if I recall.
~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Re: Grapple Hook from beginning to end???

Post by a nameless entity » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:02 pm

Well I had a look at which keys I could spare for a player to use the grapple. Since I use the mouse wheel to scroll through my weapons I saw that I could spare the [ and ] keys which do the same thing by default. (UT2k4 sure wants a lot more keys than UT99 ever did, it seems.) I assigned the [ key to "grapple" and the ] key to "grapple up".

What I don't get is the "grapple up" function under key binds. For when you select the grapple key, the grapple is both armed and deployed immediately. And then up you go, automatically. Then you use the key again to release. Upon release you get your weapon back.
What I would like to see is that you can arm the grapple, and then fire it at a spot the same way as the translocator, using your mouse button. And then use "grapple up" to go up when you're happy with the placement and ready to go. That is what makes sense to me, and seems to be suggested by the key binds in the first place. Is there a way to set things up so that the grapple works more like you would expect?
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

Hammer

Post by Hammer » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:12 pm

I have my movement keys right in the center of my keyboard so I have keys all around them for the weapon ammo/stance, Alternate Weapon Option, Grapple... etc. Ideally, I would suggest the grapple be where you can use it while still having full control of your movement. If you use wasd you could move them to yghj or something. Here's my key setup. Lay your hand on it and see how it feels. I angle my keyboard slightly for comfort.

Movement: (this could just as easily be H=forward and G&J for left and right)
j=MoveForward
G=StrafeLeft
H=StrafeRight
Space=MoveBackward

C=Jump
D=Duck ... Also right Alt=Duck. In Chaos Duel (melee) you need to jump and duck at the same time for some moves
U=Use

Chaos Specific:
X=mutate Hook
S=mutate HookUp
A=mutate UseBelt
M=changeammo
N=ChaosWeaponOption
O=mutate SprayPaint
K=mutate DropRelic
Mouse5=mutate Kick

Weapon Switching:
Y=PipedSwitchWeapon 7 | PipedSwitchWeapon 8 | PipedSwitchWeapon 3
T=PipedSwitchWeapon 4 | PipedSwitchWeapon 9 | PipedSwitchWeapon 10
I=PipedSwitchWeapon 6 | PipedSwitchWeapon 5 | PipedSwitchWeapon 2
MouseWheelDown=NextWeapon
MouseWheelUp=SwitchToBestWeapon

all other keys are taunts, orders, admin binds or silly catch phrases :-)

As you see, my Grapple,Grapple Up and Gravity Belt are all next to my jump and duck keys so I never lose control of my movement. My ammo and AMO keys can be used with either my thumb or finger depending on how I'm moving at the time.

Setting them up is as simple as going from the main menu to the "Settings" tab, then "Input", then "Configure Controls". The Chaos section is probably near the bottom of the page. If you don't have the mod installed you'll probably have to do without them. You "might" be able to set the binds through editing your user ini file or by console command ex. setbind X=mutate Hook, but I'm just guessing here.... never tried it.

Good luck :-)
---Hamm---

Hammer

Post by Hammer » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:18 pm

Oh..... the Grapple Up key is so you can reel yourself back up the line after slowly creeping down it, or after stopping the ascent by hitting the grapple toggle mid climb thus allowing you to adjust your position.