Hermskii
Site Admin
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Where is this server???

Post by Hermskii » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:47 pm

It is showing off-line to me and has been all day. Anything wrong?
~Peace~

Hermskii

EvilGrins

Re: Where is this server???

Post by EvilGrins » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:44 am

Hermskii wrote:It is showing off-line to me and has been all day. Anything wrong?
It kinda croaked a few minutes before I made a post on mars007's forum about Rocko... cuz it was in there I encountered Rocko.

They were playing a huge map, MH-Dungeon something or other, but it was taking forever so everyone opted to switch maps. So, they switched it... but it never came back after that.

Go figure.

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:18 am

Anyway, it's back up now.

Sir Mandrake
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No

Post by Sir Mandrake » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:18 pm

Unfortunately thats Monsterhunt for ya... Nothing wrong with his server Im sure. We MH admins with a plethora of maps constantly have to keep tabs on things and restart the server as needed. One map can crash or hang a server and then when it cycles around again, it will play just fine. Go figure.
--- END OF LINE ---

Hook
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:41 pm

He should have the Auto-Restart on. :wink:
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:17 am

As I know there is a restart line, Mars is executing some updates, but some not funny things happened as I spoke with Mars, anyway server is runing fine. Also Mars was busy to make some cleanings, he found some shorts and lame maps, others with errors (not so tested - his fault), example some MH-Deckxxx map, a mover incorrect done locking map made players to vote, others with a bunch of polys and A.I. retarded, I think created visibility problems triggering some native crashes, Linux server crashing in a different manner not exactly like Windows server, but the root of trouble is common: a tester not a mapper just fooled with polys - engine cannot compute visibility correctly and LineOfSight is returning other result than a boolean value making server to crash - in such a map is impossible to add some A.I. support, they are lost, blind. Mars was enough dissapointed too, soon will realise what is mean a 20 MB map with billions of polys incorrectly done, even a NASA server will crash at this chapter because will execute the same crash sequences - but faster of course.

I repeat if is necessary, 700 maps means nothing, there are just 300-400 assumed good maps, and no more than some 100 high quality good maps, this is the true about MH, don't ask about errors because are very logic.

*POTS*

Post by *POTS* » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:21 pm

Nelsona wrote: I repeat if is necessary, 700 maps means nothing, there are just 300-400 assumed good maps, and no more than some 100 high quality good maps, this is the true about MH, don't ask about errors because are very logic.
So true.

I've seen maps crashing servers cause of some carcass checks, other maps cause they required clientside DLLs to work, some others causing infinite loops of scriptwarnings, etc.

The problem is sometimes they crash the server so badly it won't autorestart, and you'll have to do it manually.

As for the overall quality of most of the latest MH maps, I just see some cubic rooms with zone lighting linked together with teleporters, a bunch of playerstarts, and tons of creature factories with overpowered boss monsters.

No story, no riddles, no eye-candy, no objectives. Just run and gun. It's like playing Invaders 3D.
Plain Old Telephone Service

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:59 am

Perfectly said POTS. In fact, so many of these maps exist and more and more noobs are playing Monster Hunt thus making them think this is the way it is supposed to be sadly. With some of the newer regen type mods out there and them being so set to regenerate everything so fast players hardly need skill or real team work to play.

I tried to keep {MHM} tough and tried to keep on only good MH maps too. More on this later.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:19 pm

I've seen maps crashing servers cause of some carcass checks, other maps cause they required clientside DLLs to work, some others causing infinite loops of scriptwarnings, etc.

The problem is sometimes they crash the server so badly it won't autorestart, and you'll have to do it manually.

As for the overall quality of most of the latest MH maps, I just see some cubic rooms with zone lighting linked together with teleporters, a bunch of playerstarts, and tons of creature factories with overpowered boss monsters.
Is not only this, admins are encouraging this lame play since are used some strong antiboosts and tools this is just creating too many advantages and MH will be just a mess.

At least for frozen server chapter, I know some pretty well instances for assumed MH maps delivered by real noobs in mapping, I was amused about a reply in a forum saying: "I'm OK with geometry but I'm lacked at monsters" and later "Editor crashed so often" - Give me a break, a bunch of polys forcing player to a hard process will just cause small breaks in transmision causing visibility computing troubles and server crashes, doesn't matter the power of server (can be a NASA's server), the player using a lazy machine can cause a lot of troubles because of slow rendering, server is not render either.

Mr. POTS you will be surprised to see the last technology in crashing clients. Let me introduce other dumb ideea. For avoid replacements, a dude attacked a constant in a map in hoping to not be replaced. Well, thanks to engine, replacement is done, but sometimes a client will crash unexpected when is touching such a trash. The most of so called mappers don't have ideea about UnrealI inventory how is working in Network. Old weapons used in Network play won't ever fire, just using nasty tricks. MonsterHunt is replacing all old craps with Net inventory with the same meshes but different client fire code (not all of them, RazorJack is automatically destroyed at once with ruining SkaarOfficer, and also Quadshot is just a mess forgotten by everybody (not me)).

Anybody interested can start a server using some default CoopGame, add a map with old inventory, try to kill some freaks if you can fire - he he - if you still don't believe this, go ahead and check (do not use OldSkool because weapons are replaced too).

I was disgusted to see what he could do that expert one.
I'll never add such a map in server, doesn't matter how many noobs are saying: "it's cool".

A code is suggested by Epic:

Code: Select all

//=============================================================================
// MaleThreeCarcass.
// DO NOT USE THESE AS DECORATIONS
//=============================================================================
class MaleThreeCarcass extends MaleBodyThree;
But there are a bunch of such dead losers throwed arround maps, even in different zones creating "awsomities" like this one:

Code: Select all

Critical: AActor::TestCanSeeMe
Critical: AActor::PlayerCanSeeMe
Critical: UObject::ProcessEvent
Critical: (MaleThreeCarcass MH-[ExpletiveRemoved]{fix}.MaleThreeCarcass0, Function Engine.Decoration.ZoneChange)
Critical: ULevel::SetActorZone
Critical: ULevel::MoveActor
Critical: AActor::physFalling
Critical: AActor::performPhysics
Critical: AActor::Tick
Critical: TickAllActors
Critical: ULevel::Tick
Critical: (NetMode=1)
Critical: TickLevel
Critical: UGameEngine::Tick
Critical: UpdateWorld
Critical: UServerCommandlet::Main
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Exit: Exiting.
This is one of the nasty results: computing visibility fault because of geometry and textures, using a trash in a wrong manner.