Low ping - bad connection

Post all House of Hermskii {HOH} Website and Forum related content here!
[21]
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Low ping - bad connection

Post by [21] » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:52 am

Hey there,
Everyday I play this game, and I play on many different servers, I choose servers with low ping. Somewhere in the area of 25-75. Anyway, in many of these servers I can barely move or fire weapons quickly. It's really frustrating because I keep getting killed by players with less skill or smaller weapons. For example, I'll come to a spot where 2 or more players are fighting so I blow up some shock-balls on them 3 maybe 4 times and I can't kill them. This is the same for all my weapons. The worst thing is getting killed by someone with 200 plus ping who uses an enforcer or air hammer when I have already shot them many times with various weapons. I have tried the net-speed thing, the turn off the vertical sync thing, the re-install the game thing, and who knows what else. There are no HD TV'S on, other computers or gaming devices on while I play during the day. I have high speed internet with a top of the line modem as well. Any tips?

PS

Someone told me that some players are using a ping bot? Do they exist? Where a players ping is high for damage but low for shooting? Is that possible?

Hermskii
Site Admin

Re: Low ping - bad connection

Post by Hermskii » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:00 am

Welcome here 21!

It is about time eh! Yes, sadly there are ping bots. Go to www.dslreports.com and select the section for "TOOLS" in there select "SPEED TEST", in there select "JAVA BASED SPEED TESTS", in there select the test to LA.A> California if they offer it. Run it and give us the results. I find this is the best, most accurate speed test in this country. USA. Are you here in the USA?

More on all of this tonight. Peace and Welcome. Go to our Welcome to the show section and follow the directions in the first post called Hermskii
~Peace~

Hermskii

[21]

Post by [21] » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:58 pm

No, I'm in Canada near Toronto. I have done speed tests here and they are really fast. Something I did notice on the Full Metal Jacket server is that my ping will jump up 150 points from what it says when I start. I know there is some fluctuation but that's alot. When I play on UK - UT servers my ping is 130 and I have a hard time killing anyone. Not to mention nearly 200.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:39 pm

Do the speed test anyways and let us see. I'm about 6000 down and 1500 up. I run 5 servers through that same connection at the same time as I do speed test or play online.
~Peace~

Hermskii

[21]

Post by [21] » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:50 pm

6301 and 969

[21]

Post by [21] » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:41 am

Ok, so I hop on the FMJ server tonight and win the first match against 8 people. Not bad. Then the next 3 games I can't kill a soul. I reconnect and try over and over again. Can't kill anyone but myself because of the slight delay. I'm perplexed. This is on my other pc. Ping says 42 but plays like 300. I know ....who cares, just a game. I don't have to win every game, but it would be nice if my movement and weapons were consistent.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:12 am

Interesting. You speeds are pretty much a little better than mine. Ping matters but not in ways that people understand properly. I'm saying you can have a low ping and still get lagged to death. Are you hitting f6 to see what your packet loss% is? I think it is F6 that shows that along with other connection info.

I'll be happy to try to run some test with you on mine or any other servers. It needs to happen at night though. My daytime is all booked up usually. Friday during the day I am open this time, this Friday.
~Peace~

Hermskii

[21]

Post by [21] » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:35 pm

Thanks!
I'll try the f6 thing. Anything to make it stop. I will look for you too.

[21]

Post by [21] » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:51 pm

So I just played a game in FMJ which felt slow. Then I played in Helen's server which was okay. The packet loss's were both 0. Same for packets per second which was 20 in and 75 out. My ping fluctuated in both servers from 75-125. Does this help at all? It must be the server?

If I play Helen's server I can generally move as well as I can in practice mode.

Thanks.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:48 pm

I'm no pro or anything but I know it used to be rare to be able to play on line as smoothly as in a practice round. Ping, lag, tick rate and all of those things matter. I have also see where a PC can get slowed down by bad connections and that too seems to affect framerates as well.

So far, everything you said makes good sense and thus it is hard to determine what your issue is. You don't have off the chart framerates do you due to a unholy powerful video card right?

What is the OS and PC make and all of that again? What are you using for a firewall(s)? Do you have Norton Internet Security installed? Didn't we already go over all of this a while back? Are your answers already over at Helen's I'll look again if they are. Just let me know.
~Peace~

Hermskii

[21]

Post by [21] » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:50 pm

Hi Herm,
My card is a nVIDIA 8400. Just a 50 dollar card. I use Microsoft essentials protection. Ya I know that online is slower, but on Helen's it's very close. Anyway, I am getting really ticked off. I am playing local servers on 2 different computers. Both are dual core with more than enough power to play a 1999 game. I wish I could walk away from this game. Maybe that's just the game, I don't know. But when I play on a server where I have 50 ping and someone has 200 plus ping and they kill easier than me, it's like what? Some guy from the bottom tip of South America has a better connection than I do to a Chicago or New York Server when I live in Toronto? Arrrrrrrrgh

David
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No

Post by David » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:07 pm

Hello 21,

I do not have any expertise on any of this just trial by experience. How does your UT game play when you play the game on your computer, not on the internet? Such as during practice mode or a non multi-player game?

You stated that you have dual core (so do I). I have an AMD 64
a.JPG
For my UT to play properly I had to download AMD Dual-Core Optimizer Version 1.1.4.
http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/dynamic ... ItemID=153 "The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer can help improve some PC gaming video performance by compensating for those applications that bypass the Windows API for timing by directly using the RDTSC (Read Time Stamp Counter) instruction. Applications that rely on RDTSC do not benefit from the logic in the operating system to properly account for the affect of power management mechanisms on the rate at which a processor core's Time Stamp Counter (TSC) is incremented. The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer helps to correct the resulting video performance effects or other incorrect timing effects that these applications may experience on dual-core processor systems, by periodically adjusting the core time-stamp-counters, so that they are synchronized"

Just an idea. I know I had issues and it bugged me then I came across this and it worked for me. But it it has been so long ago, I do not recall what issues I had before the optimizer, but I know that I could not play without hating the game about to remove the game from my system.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Hook
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:21 pm

Read David's above!

I just came into this in the middle of it, but one question...
Did this just start happening all of a sudden, and on its own?
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

[21]

Post by [21] » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:25 pm

Hi David,
My game is fine in practice mode. When I double tap I dodge, and when I shoot my weapons, they are crisp. I know weird way to describe a weapon shot. Lol. I do not use AMD , I use Intel. I downloaded and installed a dualcore UT fix from Helen's server. I have set my NVIDIA setting called threaded optimization to auto. I was told this controls the cores. Anyway, I think that I will have to buy a gaming PC one day for a $10 dollar game.

Thanks for the help,

[21]

Post by [21] » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:31 pm

Hi Hook,
I think it has happened from day one. Only as a beginner I never noticed. I have played this game on XP,VISTA and now Windows 7. I have reloaded the game maybe 10 games. It seems faster after each install then it gets slower. I don't know if that helps. Also, my cache size is 64.

Thanks,