Hermskii
Site Admin
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Re: In attention of Admins owning Windows based Servers

Post by Hermskii » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:17 pm

Interesting. I have always done new maps the old way with UCC compress command. I never learned the newer way the admins were using. I might take the time now but I doubt it.

My issue with the new mods and the new maps is they give everybody health and ammo to the point they are like gods. When was the last time you tried to play a MH map actually lost. You can lose on my MH server if you aren't careful. I don't want a bunch of kids running full speed with no worries through my server. I want them to know they have to work as a a team and they can die if they don't.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:57 am

With all respect for admins - MH admins generally - which are getting used with Regenerators and zero skill over-powered stuff considered must-have (for baboons)...
Last MH map which I've done is addressing my style of MH play, mainly out of regenerators but monsters there are boosted by map itself using New CreatureFactories which I've added in MyLevel by self-person and free of Accessed None errors. Map is based on that KillThemALL thing with desired copyrights - lol. I was setting up a reply -> ANYONE can draw cubes and calling them map, better aligned, and it's what I've done but not a lousy empty map, a challenging one. Map has ammo, has weapons, all is scaled for a bit of challenge and not a zero skill hunt-race. Bot Support is mandatory in all my maps, no discrimination, I have tools for testing paths before adding any Bot.
In other hand, MH2 which I wrote uses regenerators but... monsters have another deal:
- Hey Player, are you an Alpha Male ? Yes ? Okay, it's time to die. Some people are not using that mod considered very aggressive - I think is suitable for me as it is, I won't change anything there in forever. Monsters are working as a team against players, MonsterHunt to me might means Monsters are Hunting. There are logic REASONS for regenerators in order to compensate monster's aggressiveness in that MH2 not only over-power for player. I'm using only maps with Paths - not a mountain of empty cubes, some of these are pathed in run-time by mutators boosted by XC_Engine.

XC_MonsterHunt is another subclass of original MonsterHunt but having replacements of functions based on XC_Engine power - NO REGENERATION. Here is engaged a new compression LZMA for XC Player and No compression for plain player. XC_Engine can replace a redirect right from server itself serving game files.

The rest of Monster Games which I'm using have things changed for Monsters, UT is not a friend of Monsters after all spamming errors, not in my server where even several stock files are replaced with conformed versions and even public M.G.S. server by HOF has been adjusted.

What is about then with new assets added in maps like that ? Map can go HUUGE. A direct download at slow speed is not what player wants and admins operating add-ons in servers should not sit all night long creating UZ files for said giant maps. Giant because of textures, meshes, etc, not because of geometry, I'm working inside engine limits.

This UZ compressor can compress a 30+ MB map in around 18 seconds or less, depending on machine power used for preparing server. Certain UZ files are even smaller than files created with original UCC.EXE - can be tested various input buffer sizes for figuring the most suitable one, consuming less resources on drives. I'm clapping hands at these newer toys. 2020 year for me means more never seen UT games. In 2012 I was about to abandon this game, patience was rewarded and it's why now I can breath relaxed, I have an age after all... and I'm no longer having patience for plain MH games which are showing the same unchanged issues from 10 years ago, I'm on another Level with MonsterHunt and not only MonsterHunt. This Level doesn't means running and gunning but playing wisely and team-working. If MH servers generally are tempted to change rules, they won't see me there, so sweet dreams, boys, that's not MonsterHunt for me.

Hook
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
NoMoreSpam: Silver
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:02 pm

Yes, I read about this!
Nice indeed.
I'll use it IF I ever need it, but my servers auto-compress all files for downloads, and pretty darn fast too.
So not needed by me yet. :wink:
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:49 pm

I'm not wanting to splash walls around but... there are maps which are not compressing at all (using UCC) or are taking ages.
In other hand... big ones and their packages are time consuming, bandwidth and space. We are not only having speed, but we gain space and then downloading time is smaller.

You can imagine that if something is not found useful by me in any way I would not even mention it - there are a lot of other junks in UT posted in all kind of places which are not part of my working manuals...