Help?

Posts about what EvilGrins has been or is up to!
Nelsona

Re: Help?

Post by Nelsona » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:50 am

True, unfortunately this behavior in mapping was very boosted in a few instances even after many years. Nobody like to learn opening another maps and studying how was done.

Of course, you forgot to tell if you ever saw a MH map done with default package containing full bot support with MonsterWaypoints placed at movers (levers, butons) Or I'm wrong ?

Bot support is just described not really used even was recommended.

EvilGrins
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Post by EvilGrins » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:14 pm

Nelsona wrote:True, unfortunately this behavior in mapping was very boosted in a few instances even after many years. Nobody like to learn opening another maps and studying how was done.

Of course, you forgot to tell if you ever saw a MH map done with default package containing full bot support with MonsterWaypoints placed at movers (levers, butons) Or I'm wrong ?

Bot support is just described not really used even was recommended.
I'm a long way out from doing bot pathing, though I look forward to learning that cuz there's like a couple dozen maps I'd like to fix.

This base map has little bot support. Within the base there's plenty of bot pathing, past the trench there's not much. Bots only move to fight threats presented but once all monsters are gone the bots wander aimlessly and not too far from where they are unless commanded to.

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:33 am

Botpathing and/or monsterpathing can be done pretty easy or impossible depending on map geometry. In small places paths are useless for any A.I. (are good only for relics).

I know to make an assault for players (means more exactly player will defend something attacked by a wave of monsters, and other wave of monsters to attack defenders), but I don't have a solution for a bad end. Bad end from LostSouls isn't compatible with any other MonsterHunt version, will work only in default MH.

In other order I can do even a bit dumb things, I can make monsters to run cycling in map like bots are doing in DM-s. Just 2 triggers I need to activate some adrenaline and will see a MH like you never saw. But this is not necessary. Why ? Some Nexgens and stupid options to handle start game can break action, everything will be a mess from start.

Also Is not impossible to build controller with some monster support features. But mapping for a new controller will be useless for common versions without monster support.
Even with these missing things, some monster action can be done even in default MH (I know and I tested this already using friendly classes), but nobody is mapping for some action, in fact was an entire discution in some places about retarding monsters, developing only the spam mapping type, even the controller is already high loaded.

In default MH exist a function made in AlwaysKeep to keep monsters skilled and to be present in game. In maps with aprox. 500 monsters, this function is ticking constantly monsters checking them if they are skilled or not. Imagine the engine at this chapter....

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:10 am

Nelsona, when you say 'default MH' do you mean the original version of MH?

That's what I've got. I never saw the need to upgrade it anymore than what few patches came out from the original site.

http://www.unreal2.co.za/mh/

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:12 pm

Last version of original MH is MonsterHunt 503. Want to check it ?

Tip: Press console tilde or TAB and type Mutate version, default MH will reply with blue letters what version it is. Indeed this is original.

Later, more coders were interested to improve and fix some errors, even lazy mapping with movers triggered once but with return settings breaking maps. Other version can run better than default MH + UTJMH any because in this case we run 2 mutators and a controller. Other MH is runing only controller and a Base Mutator adding more options and increasing performance, fixing accesed nones errors, etc.

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:41 am

Totally forgot about this, going to try to implement a switch to the annoying spam message to all the maps this week, inbetween Turkey Day stuffs. Although, I'm more tempted to switch that annoying spam message with a different annoying spam message for each map.

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:00 am

Okay, that was actually fairly easy, using the pics Nelsona provided. However, I still have a wee lil' issue.

I don't know how the Counter connects to the CeatureFactories but when the message popped up "there are only 7 monsters left" there were still about 50 of them running around.

Why?

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:54 pm

I repeat, CreatureFactory no. 2 is guilty for deal with counter. Open the search menu and check an actor named Coun... is already showed any actor starting with name Count.

Right click on that counter - Properties - Check the TAG not Event. The tag is the same like CreatureFactory2. Other factories are just stuff. They producing pawns without to have something common with counter. For this reason depending on how many killed monsters you can finish faster or not the map. If you kill only creatures released by Factory2 last mover will be opened earlier or else later, is a random defined.

You will see, is pretty easy, some attention at those common strings and you can understand the basic in this job.

Later you can count other factories, all other counters will hit a Master Counter. In this way you can spawn and count more monsters, or even different classes.

When you are ready to develop some Assault Player Technology let me know and I'll show you other tricks.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:05 pm

Are you two dating now? You used to fight like you were married and now you two seem to be getting along pretty good. You know I'm teasing somewhat and I'm really just glad to see you are doing alright.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:42 am

Are you two dating now? You used to fight like you were married and now you two seem to be getting along pretty good. You know I'm teasing somewhat and I'm really just glad to see you are doing alright.
:)
Actually I'm married but I'm not arguing with wife or with the small daughter. Each time when I come home from job I go right to them to check if they are OK.
___
I was helped and I help. Of course sometimes is funny or not funny to see people asking: If I press break for this vehicle, why it stops ? Sometimes I don't have patient for small details... I noticed that EG need to understand what is about in CreatureFactories and Counter - I was confused first time too, I'm not ashamed about that, I simple didn't found a tutorial describing exactly how works such things and I checked a few maps to see what have in common - later (I was alone in room) I screamed: Yeeeehaaaaww !!!

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:10 am

Hermskii wrote:Are you two dating now? You used to fight like you were married and now you two seem to be getting along pretty good. You know I'm teasing somewhat and I'm really just glad to see you are doing alright.
Ours is a love that cannot be denied!

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:35 am

MEAT used to drop some funny one liners here. I think BIOMECH used to also. Skank is the all-time-king at it in my opinion but that one got me laughing pretty good. Thanks EG.
~Peace~

Hermskii