Insane idea that requires a question on ut99

Posts about what EvilGrins has been or is up to!
EvilGrins
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Insane idea that requires a question on ut99

Post by EvilGrins » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:13 am

Believe it or not my previous computer, trust me this is going somewhere, only had a 4GB harddrive. It because of this I had and deleted so much good UT stuff, maps and whatnot, because I only had so much room to work with. Most of which I may never be able to get back...

...though for the most part ut99 only took up about ½ to ¾ of that 4GB.

I can't upload anything to my work computer for many reasons but I've been running some basic stuff off a 4GB USB flash drive.

For those not seeing where this is going, is it possible to run ut99 off a flash drive without installing it on a computer?

David
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No

Re: Insane idea that requires a question on ut99

Post by David » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:29 am

UT folder.JPG
As you can see, my UT folder is larger than 4 gb, and I know others are even larger. Just the idea of running UT from any flash driver (4 gb or 16 gb or 32 gb) is an idea I did not think about until you mentioned it. But, I believe that the UT game has to go through a unique setup to that computer for the video and audio settings and those settings might not work too well on other computers. In other words, one size does not fit all when trying to run UT from a flash drive on multiple computers. I am guessing though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:58 pm

Good thought process David but wrong. The answer is yes. Yes you can run UT straight off of a flash/thumb drive. The difference is that UT would have had to have been installed to that flash drive if you were to say add additional mods after the fact.

If you are just going to run the game from the flash drive you can and you can even add new mods to it too but if the game was copied to that flash drive rather than installed to it, you would not be able to run umod files on it and stuff.

Yes, you can play UT from a flash drive. It may even run better than from a regular drive.
~Peace~

Hermskii

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:35 pm

Cool.

Now do I wanna install UT from the original disks, if i still have them, or from the Unreal Anthology package? Probably the latter...

David

Post by David » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:35 pm

Hermskii wrote:Good thought process David but wrong. The answer is yes. Yes you can run UT straight off of a flash/thumb drive. The difference is that UT would have had to have been installed to that flash drive if you were to say add additional mods after the fact.

If you are just going to run the game from the flash drive you can and you can even add new mods to it too but if the game was copied to that flash drive rather than installed to it, you would not be able to run umod files on it and stuff.

Yes, you can play UT from a flash drive. It may even run better than from a regular drive.
Thank you Herm about stating it was a good thought process. I was guessing. But wouldn't the video and audio setting be different from computer to computer? As an example, if he installed the UT onto the flash drive by way of his work computer, it might not play as correct on his home computer using the same flash drive that had those setting for his work computer? That is where my mind is hanging on.

But more than likely, Herm you or someone you know already have done this so you speak from experience.

I would guess that I would choose to get a larger lash drive though, unless you delete the temp files all the time.
Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:36 pm

Good points again. I used to think exactly as you did. I thought the video was detected and the sound was detected and thus they mattered but actually they didn't. That was just to register the game or something even though it didn't need to.

The way I see it the game can talk through 10 phone lines. It registers itself to windows by talking through each line to see which one windows uses and then only talks through that line. If you don't let it check the lines then it talk through all ten at once thinking/knowing one of them must work meaning you must have video and audio somewhere. That is how I view it though technically I'm wrong.

As usual, he posted this question everywhere and there are better answers elsewhere but I knew the right answer when I read the question because yes, I have done this before already. The game wants to register itself with the OS because when you make changes like with mods and patches they have to talk to the windows registry for the changes to take effect.

It goes like this: Install the game properly and let it register properly it will not only play but at any later time you can add a patch or a umod or a mod or anything and if it is written properly it will install.

If you install the game on your C drive and then copy the folder on to your flash drive and then try to install a umod , mod or patch it won't install because the game never registered itself with the OS while on the flash drive.

There is a way to work around this if you really want to get confused: You copy UT to your flash drive and play it anywhere. You can then also run a UT Registry Patch which will register that copy of UT that is on your flash drive with that computer's registry. You would then be able to install patches and mods and umods as if you installed UT to that flash drive in the first place. "BUT" if you put that flash drive into another computer, you break the registry thing again and would have to run that patch each time you plugged up to a new computer and then wanted to add patches, mods or umods. Make sense?
~Peace~

Hermskii

Terraniux

Post by Terraniux » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:29 pm

Yeah, what Hermskii said. But it will not run as smooth as on your default drive.
On school I did the same thing, loading maps from a usb drive with 4gb memory is often slow, believe me. Starting the game can take up to almost a minute.

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:19 pm

Terraniux wrote:Yeah, what Hermskii said. But it will not run as smooth as on your default drive.
No argument there. I may only set it up so I can watch games while I'm at work, setup complex bot matches. Kinda like watching sports. I mainly will only play on my home system.
Hermskii wrote:As usual, he posted this question everywhere and there are better answers elsewhere
Nope, just here and over at ut99.org

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:58 am

Busted! Do this. Post a link to your copy of this question that is over there. That way others can see the fine answers given over there too! Thanks.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:39 am

I have more copies (version original installed copied in 3 places). Only one of them is original to have mods installed and all stuff for working in UT.

Other 2 versions aren't registered in OS, they are only for playing (no need mods installed to have mismatches) 1) personal play version 2) visit version for playing in different places.

First version is on a drive and others are in 2 different places and run without any trouble related to disk letter used.

As I know, UT has settings for different Video Cards, different Sound Cards already set in INI. Once launched game, will detect required settings for that machine and will perform as should. Here I don't think is about special configs saved (I didn't found any). All things are saved and are loaded when are required depending on PC used. Fix me if I'm wrong.

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:33 pm

Hermskii wrote:Busted! Do this. Post a link to your copy of this question that is over there. That way others can see the fine answers given over there too! Thanks.
Ya mean this?
http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3998

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:55 pm

That's the stuff! Thanks!
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:55 pm

I covered this whole thing at HUTP about using flash drives as servers or playing UT. :D
I played it from a flash drive.
I even ran a Server from a flash drive. :P
I even ran a server from a flash drive and another server on the regular drive, simultaneously, and on my OLD comp from 2000 no less.
There are a few little tricks, but nothing difficult at all.
Mostly, it ran just great right out of the box.
I used a 1 or 2 gig flash drive is all. :mrgreen:
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777