importing Unreal2 into ut99

Posts about what EvilGrins has been or is up to!
EvilGrins
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes
NoMoreSpam: Silver

importing Unreal2 into ut99

Post by EvilGrins » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:33 pm

It started in my Screenshots for Fun thread with this...
...and my asking why the original Dispersion pistol had never been upgraded.

That led to a chat, this all occured within ut99.org, about the Dispersion Pistol from Unreal2 and possible getting that ported into ut99. Most said this could not be done because U2 isn't an Epic game.

So I poked around a bit on google and found this:
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=175819

I've been bopping messages back and forth with that guy the past week. Turns out he found it all but impossible to do, after trying it for awhile, but he redirected me to another thread.

That being this one:
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=194782

This is all WAY beyond me, so I thought I'd share it with those of you more versed in this stuff.

So... thoughts?
Is it do·able??

Nelsona

Re: importing Unreal2 into ut99

Post by Nelsona » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:14 pm

You are free to try anything. But, as a note, sometimes is hard to export even UT99 meshes from U files and to slap some animations missing, or I simply don't see where are coming troubles from, or I need some informations related to this subject, but I noticed many such questions in other forums as well...

By example, squids have an animation sequence missing "Flopping". In some maps they spammed console with craps. I decided to fix them using other mesh with sequences renamed like original to be called properly. But I had problems at skinning them in original, even using default commands something seems to be alterred and not works as I want. UTPT and WotGr.... seems to export exactly the same 3d files (I'm not sure about them if are perfect - I guess not - as described in other forums...). Importing was succesfull but texturing was messed. I used a different formula in "replacement" and I fixed that crappy mesh - console is now silent. I typed "replacement" because this seems to be other kind of slow code which not works with default Replacement even declared in the same way like in other functions. For weaponry I think will be a real war to solve all missing codes and errors (even "old" weapons have animation sequences missing). Porting some weapon from U2 ? I don't know if is really usefull. Indeed Old Dispersion seems to have small troubles if we talk about WeaponPowerUp pickup, depends on client settings and here I'm talking about a replacement with Net code, not a SP simple trash which won't fire in servers only forced with errors.

EvilGrins
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Re: importing Unreal2 into ut99

Post by EvilGrins » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:16 pm

Nelsona wrote:Indeed Old Dispersion seems to have small troubles if we talk about WeaponPowerUp pickup
Biggest complaint I've heard was it was a stupid looking weapon that looked even stupider each time it upgraded.

I freely admit, the U1 version was not pretty.