MA to MH

Posts about what EvilGrins has been or is up to!
EvilGrins
NoMoreSpam: Silver

MA to MH

Post by EvilGrins » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:29 pm

Simply put, I've got a bunch of Monster Arena maps, some are great, some are basic, quite a few suck. Didn't make any of them but I got them.

How hard is it to convert an MA map to MonsterHunt? Is it as simple as just renaming the "MA" to "MH" or is there more to it than that?

Also, a few of the MA maps i've got weren't made so great. You kill the final monster (not a lot of exits on MA) and normally that ends the map but on these badly made ones nothing happens and you're basically stuck there until you open a menu for a new game.

I know some MH maps you kill the final monster, or a boss, and the map ends.

Keeping in mind I'm not a full fledged mapper, I'm just a decent editor, how do I setup a monster so that it is the trigger that ends the map?

Nelsona

Re: MA to MH

Post by Nelsona » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:11 am

I don't see where is the problem if you have examples already done. Open a MA map in editor and look how is set.

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:48 pm

Nelsona wrote:I don't see where is the problem if you have examples already done. Open a MA map in editor and look how is set.
More than just about anybody else, I was hoping you'd respond to this. I've got a perfect example in mind... but I'm at work at the moment so I'll have to get back to you.

In the meantime, what's your opinion on this?
http://www.online-multigaming.com/e107_ ... 0#post_316

Anybody else feel free to chime in!

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:49 am

That example is just like my modifications for maps ported to MH, which are against racing behavior. More exactly player need to kill a boss or some monsters counted, not to act like a chiken runing to end map. I'm almost always using this technology.

As I said, look at maps. I learned to set up such things just looking at examples done. What can be so hard ?
Anybody else feel free to chime in!
Do not expect so many people to know these simple things, because simple things are hidden very close.

Even ending a map only following a killing rule might be described here:
http://forums.ut-files.com/let-s-make-a ... cing%20map

Anyway MonsterArenaEnd need not be replaced with MonsterEnd keeping original properties or else map will be ended before to begin.

Note for myself (lazy coding, Nelsona, very lazy):
I think that I should re-code my reworked MH to be able to play and finish MA maps by default. Argh, I need to set-up Bot-Support in case of playing a MA map, I don't know if those are pathed or [expletive removed]... I'll check some MA to see if deserve my attention.
Last edited by Nelsona on Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:34 am

Nah, I'm wasting time. I looked at some MA maps. That wasn't only a garbage mod showing in HUD 0 monsters even they are in area, waiting players, but I found maps (I guess renamed from other mods) without any monster, even without weapons, some of them having only lost ammo and colored walls. Yeah, I'm sorry for reply. This thread can be removed as well.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:20 am

The answer is no. You can't convert them in my opinion. I can't recall why but don't do it.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:17 am

:mrgreen: I wasn't thinking at conversion, EG triggered me to think at playing maps configuring prefix in mapvote not triggered by mod. More exactly a double controller in purpose to play normal MH maps and even MA maps. My problems are as follows (important maybe or less depending on people), I don't think I need to implement MA controller and even a Bot Support for let's say 5 to 8 maps. Yeah, I can count on fingers from a single hand what are MA "maps". A few lost noobs, nolifers, designed (or copied some brushes) and later they used SaveAs command from editor delivering MA maps.

Details ? Hang on:
1) There is a package for MH named Invasion.u - some 1,5 MB - In a map MA this Invasion.u coming with map has 3 MB which means is a totally different package not an update, could be totally incompatible (LOL to noob mapper FYI, and so on this time);
2) I was wandering about some challenge in joining a server runing maps calling files Marines.* - there are Marines.u, Marines.uax, Marines.umx granted with other MA maps;
3) At least 3 maps have 0 weapons, 0 ammo and 0 monsters - maybe are for some lovers meeting, using UT servers as replacement for Messenger-type programs;
4) The same MH trouble with a map without End or with End wrong set ? I found such a "cool map".

Question: Need to try more ? I think I saw enough to stay away. If 5 mappers are going to slap over 50 MA maps, I promise I'll code some MA controller (even separate from MH). But :twisted: , if I'll find a single map unpathed, I'll do nothing, or mod will quit server because of Noob Attitude, :P.
Reason for pathing ? Maybe isn't a single one:
- Relics are spawning at pathnodes;
- Some mutators are able to bring aditional monsters using pathnodes as a guide to not spawn them out of playable areas, even for some dynamic weaponry mod;
- Normal sized monsters might follow paths hunting players to prevent camping without losing score. Is possible this attitude of monster to start hunting player without to wait his death ? Yes ! This is my problem ... I've just spoke with a SkaarjLord last night;
- In case of Internet failures player can play local such a map enjoying a party with Bots.

Any suggestions ?