MH-2ndTry[EG]Zeta

Posts about what EvilGrins has been or is up to!
EvilGrins
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes
NoMoreSpam: Silver

MH-2ndTry[EG]Zeta

Post by EvilGrins » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:23 am

This is an edit of a map by [SPG]RIFFRAFF.

As most people play MH with some form of health/ammo regenerator, there is no ammo anywhere on this map.

First off, why Zeta? An initial release of a map, let out for testing purposes, is usually called a Beta. Thing is this is an edit of an existing map, MH-FirstTry[SPG], which may have had a Beta of its own once upon a time. So, I went another way.

This map is mostly done. There's a few more things I wanna do to it but this one doesn't need those to be played. I just want people to play it and then get back to me and tell me everything that's wrong with it. I'm sure there's like 1 or 2 or 300 things at most.

This is a 16 room map, 2 floors of 8 rooms, one level above another, with a separate room for the bosses and the exit. I mostly play MH-FirstTry[SPG] on Killerbee's server but I've seen it on a couple others. The weapons the original map didn't seem sufficient. A sniper rifle and a really warped redeemer with a rainbow attack.

I replaced the sniper rifes with 2 versions of M16's. I replaced the redeemer with DeemerFireworks. The original only had weapons in the starting room, which is mostly true here except I placed an extra DeemerFireworks near the end of the map.

At the suggestion of another, I reduced the lighting. Each room used to have 6 torches for lighting, now there's 2.

I swapped out the pupae for predators.
I swapped out the defensors for warlord hunters.
I was tempted to swap the brutes projectiles with instagib blasts... but didn't.

Saving that for another map.

There are creature factories on the 1st floor only. For predators, krall, brutes, and warlord hunters.

The original didn't have any music, now it does. Kind of a pet peeve of mine. Unless you've got your music volume really high it's not that loud.

The last time I suggested a strategy for a map edit of mine, MH-AvP][, someone nearly tore my head off. You know who you are. Anyway, going to risk it again. If you're going to play this map online with other people then you can choose to ignore this, teamwork negates the need somewhat. I would suggest you play this map without any mutator or anything that prevents the monsters from fighting each other. The predators especially, are very handy to lead to other rooms there are monsters in so they can eat them...

...having played this map enough times on my own I can tell you that if the monsters aren't fighting each other you're, in a word, screwed.

Usual Suspects:
.umx goes in /music
.unr does in /maps
.u goes in /system

Stuff for the final version:
- I edited the DeemerFireworks to respawn every 10 seconds. I can't figure out how to disable the music feature, it plays one of two American ballads when you pick it up and then fire it.
- I wanna eventually put bot pathing on this map, at the moment they stick to the starting room unless they're following players. Ideally as much for my own usage when I'm not playing online, as well as others that similarily don't always hit up the servers for their UT fix.

Problems
- There's a tiny glitch with the predators, that only acts up once in awhile. I can play this map 15 times or more without it ever coming up.
- The Warlord Hunters are a little too tough and once you encounter them, they will follow you relentlessly.

Ready?
http://www.mediafire.com/?rgqmdc4cg0cn433

EvilGrins

Re: MH-2ndTry[EG]Zeta

Post by EvilGrins » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:22 pm

Whoops!
There's only been one instance of this so far but just to be on the safe side, there's a file missing from this. Most people seem to have it already but at least one person didn't.

It's monsterhunt1.utx and you can get it from here · http://aceflex.biz/uz/
Last edited by EvilGrins on Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:02 pm

No wonder!
~Peace~

Hermskii

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:43 pm

I checked this using my version after adding Bot support and fixing inventory spots as needed.

Warlord Hunter seems a good pawn, they hunted well, is a bit too fast but in my mod is not a problem, "rockets are normalized". Bots finished succesfull the map. Was a good fight.

For original MH I didn't had patient to finish it when I saw Removers with a bunch of health. Those Removers if might travel are about to slaughter players very bad and they fought back. For other monsters I didn't noticed them too much, they killed themselves. Without to have a huge score I noticed suddenly 200 monsters remaining, heck, I forgot their default habbits.

Modifications:
ThingFactory0 - 400 items - ruined;
ThingFactory1 - 1000000 items - ruined;
ThingFactory2 - 2000 items - changed item and ruined;
ThingFactory3 - 400 items - ruined.

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:28 pm

Think you lost me on one point. Wha're "removers"?
Nelsona wrote:Warlord Hunter seems a good pawn, they hunted well, is a bit too fast but in my mod is not a problem, "rockets are normalized". Bots finished succesfull the map. Was a good fight.
Do you mean your mod turned the Warlord Hunters energy attack into normal rockets?
Nelsona wrote:Modifications:
ThingFactory0 - 400 items - ruined;
ThingFactory1 - 1000000 items - ruined;
ThingFactory2 - 2000 items - changed item and ruined;
ThingFactory3 - 400 items - ruined.
Ruined??
Hermskii wrote:No wonder!
Did you not have that file too?

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:53 am

EvilGrins wrote:Do you mean your mod turned the Warlord Hunters energy attack into normal rockets?
Monsters flying or runing very fast being a problem for players with high ping are restored to normality (more hunters left server at meeting such "monster" - I have some experience as admin, in conclusion a rocket wearing monster suit is not accepted by law). Especially if exist paths, this Warlord Hunter is acting well - he is flying guided by paths while attacking enemy, in a few words, was a charm.
EvilGrins wrote:Ruined??
Yeah, Factories are adjusted because nobody is playing a MH map 4 hours, only me once with other guy we wanted to see the normal end - we couldn't see anything, server crashed at removing garbage objects in travel state (over 3 millions) and K.O.

For a pathed map is bad ideea to spawn 1000000 Warlord Hunters.

Mapping hints for any mapper:
A monster or objects placed in maps hidden for Editor (maybe to hide dumb tests or a new crash technology) are very visible when I want to see them - don't waste time hidding trashes because I can see them anyway.

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:55 am

Mainly to Nelsona but anyone can chime in.

I posted this thread around · http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/80177.html
To get the widest range of responses.

This response...
http://www.online-multigaming.com/e107_ ... 0#post_332
...and the ones after confused me.

What the heck could've caused that?!?

If anybody can figure this one out, I'd appreciate it.

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:15 am

Poor them.

Code: Select all

=============================================================================
// Predator.
//=============================================================================
class Predator expands ScriptedPawn;
Where is Bot in up-mentioned code ?

With the best regards Pizz@, if mod is crap, better change it, even you can remove it from any backup. I changed Predator in my private party because has a retarded melee attack not because is a Bot, about Navigation codes integrated in this monster I cannot say too much because I don't have intention to look at them 10 hours, if is another bad class, ask coder for updates - if this pawn is designed for a special travel - have fun crashing without pathnodes... the same for EXU pawns - they are war-pawns not retards only waiting to be killed. It seems also MH-Antalius has predator and paths (even BlockMonsters ruined by my mod with more pleasure - DONE with craps). Other map like B99-MinasTirith is playable very well with that Bot embeded, even is helping player. Once got a weapon is mad at killing monsters (even leaded in a moment when I was gone to prepare a coffe) which is just proving some interesting ideea to have a guy on other side like a Troian Horse for monsters. The only issue was caused by a SkaarjBerserker (very rare), but now I changed a parameter A.I. related. It seems to works fine. Even I pathed a map with 102 Berserkers and works fine until end.

ScriptedPawn - explanation for noob coders or non-coders means MONSTER, yeah, read something like this twice:

S C R I P T E D P A W N = M O N S T E R

Other details ?

For crash ? Opps, some log related ? Or ignorance is the common issue ?

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:13 pm

Arguable but a good point. Preds do have issues.

However the screenshot at that link they used for an example is in the starting 1st room. On the map they way I edited it, the only spawnpoints in that room are for players.

The predator spawnpoints are in the 2nd room.

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:06 pm

My only problems were:
- Redeemer - light remaining on floor at switching weaponry (that's why I removed it) - something is bugged there;
- M16 or something I guess is not for regen mods (need desired ammo placed around, to load players)
- Predator - not so harmfull as I expected;
- No end at spawning Warlord Hunters - Awsome ?;
- Paths missing;
- Indeed to many lights;
- To many spawnpoints.

But This is not a catastrophe.

I just want a clear answer with YES or NO at a question:
You played this map as a test until end ?

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:27 pm

Nelsona wrote:- Redeemer - light remaining on floor at switching weaponry
Also from wherever you fire it. Odd but not the end of the world.
Nelsona wrote:- M16 or something I guess is not for regen mods
Only the grenades don't regen... and until you clear the 1st floor the average life expectancy isn't long enough to survive long enough to worry.
Nelsona wrote:- Predator - not so harmfull as I expected;
One at a time, no. A whole bunch of them in a pack, OH YES! They can outrun players, unless you run and jump, and bite them to death while they're running away.
Nelsona wrote:- No end at spawning Warlord Hunters - Awsome ?;
The thread over at ut99 revealed this. Apparently the creature factory in that room is set to 1,000,000.

Random factoid: if you bombard that room with redeemers the Warlord Hunters start respawning in the 2nd room. There's an extra spawnpoint for them in there, that normally only pops 1 in every few minutes.
Nelsona wrote:You played this map as a test until end?
I beat this map prior to putting the Warlord Hunters on it. Not reason enough to get rid of them, I have a few MH maps (not mine) that I can't beat.

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:54 pm

I suppose i could swap out the predators for these things...

I still have them somewhere or other.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:14 am

I just love those little guys!
~Peace~

Hermskii

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:35 pm

Nelsona wrote:Poor them.
For crash ? Opps, some log related ? Or ignorance is the common issue ?
More than you know.

They have a predator class model on their servers, and computers, that's causing the conflict. I knew about this thing a stretch back but didn't get it cuz I liked the 2 legged reptile better.

They reconfigured the map for their server with an Asgard.predator, which is apparently another version of the little biters.

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:17 pm

Perfect, Asgard as I know so far is a good one. I respect always good works, but ...
EvilGrins wrote:They have a predator class model on their servers, and computers, that's causing the conflict
Predator.u and other predator.u ? As you described... Nah, I'm not boring about this. I don't know if can be the same 2 files named identically since map is calling a string very loaded at servertravel.... only if is called the same mesh for different packages and this ... heck, I'm not boring any more because I can play any of these versions ("my" pathed or "original" by you) I have 50% RAM free playing this map...
Meh, when you have a half of ut-files.com loaded as packages you cannot expect better functionality, that's it.
I'll bet I can manage this map as it is ON-LINE with a desired better mod, simple, without hundreds of MB loaded and of course I prefer "MY" version pathed because I'm playing with Bots. Why do you think I made 1/100 white hair for a better Bot support ? To not play with them ? Heck ! Wrong ! I forgot how is the game with Human players last time, and ... hm, I think I'm feeling better, no kidding. This was one of high priorities - very late done. Better late than never :D.