Anybody run into this before?

Posts about what EvilGrins has been or is up to!
EvilGrins
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Anybody run into this before?

Post by EvilGrins » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:58 pm

This got kicked off by a speed issue, that thing where stuff seems to make the game run insanely fast or in ultra-slow motion... but this isn't the speed thing. That's just what kicked it off.

I think the average playersize in-game shrunk.

Looking at myself, in behindview, or the other players in the game... it looks like we're all smaller. Rest of the game looks fine but all the players, myself included, looks like we've all shrunk a little bit.

Thanks to something Hermskii suggested a LONG time ago, I've got 2 ut99's on my computer. Same settings but the original is the one I've literally had since 1999 and the other was the one I was hoping to host games from, which I play most often.

I took screenshots from each, same model & map.

Original:

New (shrunk):

At least I know I'm not imagining it.

Any idea what could have caused the average player size to shrink?
How can I get it switched back to normal?

Hermskii
Site Admin

Re: Anybody run into this before?

Post by Hermskii » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:42 pm

I don't think it is your player size. I think it is your game resolution maybe. Like one is at 1024 x 768 and the other is at 1280 x 1024 maybe. that or you FOV is set differently like one might be above 90 which is the game default and the other is at 120. Let us know.

You are smart to keep a standard player install to test differences like this.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:37 am

This is a kind of puzzle ? For sure there are differences between 2 images not only between your playerpawns position. If you assigned a key for changing FOV and/or other key to grow and shrink HUD, also a different resolution might lead in different effects.

Here, I look at column with light on top, on the right side of image(s), is different, also position of player is not the same. If you are closer to a wall and behindview camera has no place in map will come closer even encroaching you.

Not the last thing, I see in second image something like a "mod used". I don't give any name, I just remember some Engine.PlayerPawn.Whatever Accesed None which are leading in player/server crash because of fooling with engine. If you really can see player altered by a mod - then mod is a technical failure - doesn't matter who did it. Want a confirmation ? Check the game-log and do not get mad.

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:47 am

2nd person to mention FOC and I'm still not sure what it is. Although, the resolution to both is 800x600, I thought about that possibility first.
Hermskii wrote:You are smart to keep a standard player install to test differences like this.
Not the exact reason I keep them both, but it is handy that way.
Nelsona wrote:For sure there are differences between 2 images not only between your playerpawns position.
I got as close as I could manage without being 100% exact.
Nelsona wrote:Here, I look at column with light on top, on the right side of image(s), is different, also position of player is not the same. If you are closer to a wall and behindview camera has no place in map will come closer even encroaching you.
Considered that, made sure that there was nothing close to the player to confuse the size ratio from any side.
Nelsona wrote:Not the last thing, I see in second image something like a "mod used".
I didn't switch the mutators to match. Was using NW3 on the shrunk one, the older one has TheBlob mutator running.
Nelsona wrote:If you really can see player altered by a mod - then mod is a technical failure - doesn't matter who did it.
That's not it, pretty sure, but I'll check. There are 2 mutators that do this kinda thing but they're extremes. One's called GIANTS, makes all the players Godzilla sized. Forget the other one but it makes everyobdy ant sized.

Not sure I still have either of those.

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:26 pm

Yeah those 2 pics are quite a bit different in closeness to that bot.
They look proportional to me though.
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777