Grim Reapers in MH

Posts about what EvilGrins has been or is up to!
EvilGrins
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Grim Reapers in MH

Post by EvilGrins » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:58 pm

Lots of monsters in Unreal Tournament are powerful but every so often some crackhead makes one so powerful the only way to take it down is to hit it point blank with a tactical nuke.

That usually works pretty well with most things.

The following edit is mostly for example purposes. I posted a bunch of shots from a display map on a forum and a person there (Fuzzy) wanted to see the thing in action. So, I went through my directory of maps for something ideal and chose MH-Arden. It's got a good mood for this particular beastie.

The GrimReaper is pretty much what you expect from the name. It can fly, it can teleport, and it has a scythe (added benefit is you can use that if you manage to kill the thing). The Reaper has so many powers it's damned freaky, but one of its primary weapons is the Skullhead. It launches one which then can create swarms more... that wander around looking for more players to kill.

MH-Arden has 3 main points: the main gate, the outpost, and the castle at the end. You have to go up the hill to the outpost to flip a switch in there that opens the gate so you can get to the castle. For each of these 3 points there is now a GrimReaper standing guard. The display map had over a hundred GrimReapers, so you would assume that just having to face 3 of the Reapers would be a lot simpler.

Keep thinking that.

Usual suspects:
------------------
.umx goes in /Music
.u goes in /System
.unr goes in /Maps

Have fun, and good luck.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/cor50 ... n-Grim.zip

Hermskii
Site Admin

Re: Grim Reapers in MH

Post by Hermskii » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:59 pm

I like. I think you also just cemented your own section here EG. I love this stuff you always bring to the show.
~Peace~

Hermskii

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:31 pm

Apparently made an impression in the Home of Fools with this map too:
http://hofgamingclan.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7321

I may get requests to switch up some beasties on other maps.

As it stands for this one, already edited it slightly. Removed 2 of the Reapers, replaced with ElectricKrall and WarlordHunters. Still editing it, but it's pretty much ready to go.

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:31 am

Seems kind of a waste to start a new thread just for the mild edit.

I edited MH-Arden into MH-Arden-Grim, but 3 GrimReapers might've been a bit much... no matter how much fun that insanity was. So I opted to remove 2 of the

Reapers and replace them with 2 other devestating monsters.

MH-Arden-3some is a little more balanced.

Just a little.

Usual suspects:
=============
.umx /Music
.unr /Maps
.u /System

Enjoy!
http://www.mediafire.com/download/85ogp ... -3some.zip

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:13 pm

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:00 am

He, he, as I noticed so far, more people toyed in this Arden type map. I found EB, Fix1, Revamped, etc.×10, the history seems repeated but NOBODY wants to fix paths in outpost, adding inventories properly, removing those BlockAll craps by rebuilding geometry properly, maybe adding new WayPoint in Snipers-Tower or triggering them for defence. Also I wanna see a proper pathing right in last lifts from last Target-Tower as should be, because there are chances to have failures aprox. 30%.

Hints:
- Map Demons][ looks like a crap checking settings at monsters, but has a very good example of pathing LIFTS;
- Between LiftExit and LiftCenter shouldn't be any pathnode - learn this after 15 years of Unreal if earlier was harder;
- if LiftCenter is higher, this thing can be announced in LiftCenter parameter as is done in CTF-Coret (that jump ruined later not improved by that CE105 "Clan");
- forget any TriggerEvent1 2 3 4 at WayPoints - use simple triggers or else might double triggering of things (bad example NaliVillage by Shrimp himself - MiningOutPostXXX by the same Kardiologist, messing up a door when map was played with Bots) because original MonsterWayPoint as ideea is pure TRASH but you can deal with it somehow using only Position parameter;
- Lifts as Movers for transporting A.I. should be StandOpenTimed if aren't used triggers - BumpOpenTimed is used the mostly for doors;
- and so on...

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:38 pm

Nelsona, I did not know the history of the map... guess i should look into that. As to weird things, yeah the pathing in the outpost is a lil' wonky. Works okay but it's similar to a pathing glitch in the final castle, where the bots don't always get on the lift unless they're shoved onto it... and they mostly always goto the one left that's in the castle to the left. Rare it is they goto the other on the right.

There's also this invisible thing about halfway to the outpost, right at the turn in the path, where you can shoot through it but it's still solid enough you can't run through it and sometimes you can stand on top of whatever it is.

Among other randon stuff, I changed the book. Near the beginning of the map are 2 little houses. In the 2nd one there's a table with a book on it. Most people probably don't know this, bit of a hangover from Unreal1, but if you touch a book it fills the talkbox up with a blast of text of the book's content. Usually just a message...

...I switched the message on both of the edits above.

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:26 pm

No need more history, you will see more "kind of works" some of them decorated but ... LOL building.

In version Fix1 and EB as I recall well I found things triggering me to do other small fixes for MH.
Those 2 Titans were set with order "Patroling". Really impressive ... but I couldn't find any PatrolPoint neither to see them moving ... just developing errors based on dumb settings. Titan as big as it is, is just a monkey unable to find paths properly because is like a moving mountain. I found at those guys more than 255 hunting paths at a moment, here I'm still wander what did Epic with these pawns, because some "mappers" ruined things more. Poor people, working to fix MH but none fix to maps. Anyway I let map alone for the moment but someday I'll find a little more time to setup some things properly - including decorations to drop good items.

Yes, I think I don't need to post always what I solved, one of those things is to remove any order which doesn't have a logic purpose in these maps SP-type. Pawn with order "patroling" without PatrolPoint won't have any Patrol as purpose - "Sleeping" maybe would be a good state but it wasn't implemented because already state "Waiting" is almost the same and even has some bSleep value configurable as I recall for certain pawns.