Anybody familiar with Serious Sam?

Posts about what EvilGrins has been or is up to!
EvilGrins
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Anybody familiar with Serious Sam?

Post by EvilGrins » Fri May 20, 2016 7:40 pm

I've heard of it (may have 1 monster from it) but I'd never played it. Anywho I semi-recently encountered a map based on it, and I've sorta started messing around with it.

Most days (as it was the 1st UT forum I found) I start discussions for such stuff on ut99.org but I think it's good to stir the pot on other forums from time to time.

There's a forum called http://utmappers.proboards.com/forum and they've got a lot of good maps there, but next to nobody there uses bot-pathing. So the map in question (MH-GardenOfDeath) I introduced to Nelsona and asked him to path it for me; it works great now, by the way, but I'm holding off on sharing said map...
...edit until I get permission from the guy that created it.

This is a map of long/wide paths...
...with tons of ammo and powerups the whole length of it. It's like the guy who made it fully intended after each stage of killing monsters players have a brief rest stop where they could stock up on ammo & health, for those that don't use ammo/health regeneration mutators, and other stuff to be ready for the next wave.

Also kinda handy for my fave redeemer mutator, Deemer Fireworks:

Map has standard monsters & weapons, though special sound effects for pickups. The final room has this GINORMOUS Warlord, after he dies the level ends, but before there you'll find a side room. There's a sound trigger before entering that says something about a vacation, where there's 2 other equally hard to kill HUGE Warlords and some other stuff:

Map also has these at each level break between waves of monsters:
UnrealEd lists them as teleports. The final boss monster and that vacation room have similar, LARGER, blue ones... but these yellow ones don't seem to work.

Part of why I think this map might make another good variant for display purposes is 2 factors:
1) This map has 28 creature factories on it!
2) Map is freaking BIG:

I've submitted a tentative request to the original mapper on the forum he posted the map to, but I don't feel comfortable sharing the first edit until after I hear back from him with his permission. I'm already planning (in my head) weapon swaps and different monster packages which would work great on it.

Dr.Flay

Re: Anybody familiar with Serious Sam?

Post by Dr.Flay » Sat May 21, 2016 3:57 pm

EvilGrins wrote:...with tons of ammo and powerups the whole length of it. It's like the guy who made it fully intended after each stage of killing monsters players have a brief rest stop where they could stock up on ammo & health, for those that don't use ammo/health regeneration mutators, and other stuff to be ready for the next wave..
You basically summed up Serious Sam there.
I am surprised you have not got the games, though I feel we may lose you to it if you get them.

Imagine Duke Nukem on steroids and funnier.
Lots of hidden stuff and easter-eggs to find.
chaoticdreams.org - @TheChaosMod - Web IRChat - [url=irc://irc.quakenet.org/chaoticdreams]IRChat[/url]

EvilGrins

Re: Anybody familiar with Serious Sam?

Post by EvilGrins » Sat May 21, 2016 7:12 pm

Dr.Flay wrote:I am surprised you have not got the games, though I feel we may lose you to it if you get them.
I've only played a few Fps. Original Wolfenstein, Doom & Doom2, Heretic, and some random ones I got off demo discs... before I came to UT.