A little mini guide to by latest install

Posts about cool stuff Dr.Flay prescribes for you!
Dr.Flay
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Re: A little mini guide to by latest install

Post by Dr.Flay » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:48 pm

Well I've had a look in BP1 and there is no DE mutator in it, only custom models and relics.

I notice the wording on the Liandri page mentions the issue of "network incompatibility".
Well yes that is true, as hopefully people only have the first version on their servers.

The actual issue, is the fact that v2 has broken network code, so just does not work online.
No one seems to know why v2 was made, or what improvements are in it.
Rather than anyone try and fix it, the option has always been to use the first version.

So are you saying the 1 CD version does not have the DE mutator ?
If that is the case, then we will have to stop telling people use the version from the CD and provide a download.
chaoticdreams.org - @TheChaosMod - Web IRChat - [url=irc://irc.quakenet.org/chaoticdreams]IRChat[/url]

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:06 pm

Or...or...just do what i did all along and tell them not to use the BP2. Back when I first started making servers and map packs and such (back when I still had THE HUNGER) I only liked DM so I made all of the Bonus Packs have DM only maps. Now I see that BP2 has two CTF maps and I'm no longer only pro DM. all of that said the answer is this if people install via the retail CDs:

Retail Version:

Install the Unreal Tournament Game (Including CD2 if you plan to use the S3TC High Resolution Textures at the end if this installation guide)
Install UT 436 Patch if you have the retail CD or the UT 436 NoDelta Patch if you don't.
Install Bonus Pack 1
Copy the 2 CTF maps from Bonus Pack 2 into your "Maps" folder. Do not install UMOD.
Install Bonus Pack 3
Install Bonus pack 4
Install BP 1 fix
Install BP 4 fix
Install AdvancedModelSupport
Install EavyServerBrowser UMOD

This is as far as i have made it with what I have so far. I am now looking for the next two items of this list to install:

Install Chaos updates
Install Rocket Arena updates
Install EAX patch
*UT patch 451b would go here, or anywhere before here.
OMP update
*fix int files
DX10 renderer
*Run and basic renderer config
Update Masterserver info
ut-marginally_enhanced-100.zip
UnrealXP110
XBrowser
Xconsole
Xmaps
Hi-res textures

Note that when this is all done I intend to document it with links to everything and publish it. Sure it has been done several times before but not by me ever. I'd like to give it a go. this will give me a great chance to update my web pages at www.Hermskii.com and make the links work again thus making it more revelant once again.

So Chaos Updates and Rocket Arena update links would be greatly appreciated.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:26 pm

I keep seeing the denial of service patch designed mainly for windows 2000 servers. Is it still needed or is that fix built in for patch 451 for instance?
~Peace~

Hermskii

Dr.Flay

Post by Dr.Flay » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:20 am

Excellent, now I have a copy of BP2 I can see it is separate files, rather than 1 UMOD.

You still didn't say if the 1 CD version has the v1 DE mutator ?
If it does not, then they still need the correct one from somewhere.
Also If they do not intend to play online, the newer DE mutator is fine for them, and they get whatever benefit it contains.

BTW. I seem to have picked up a "de2.u" from someones server.
It is a different size to both the others, so it looks like someone has had a go at fixing or tweaking it !

Erm, Herm, seriously ? You want me to give you a link to the Chaos site ? In public ? With all these people watching ?
8) http://chaoticdreams.org/chaosut-download/
http://www.moddb.com/mods/rocket-arenaut

All the links for everything are in the posts at Hooks :wink:
http://hooksutplace.freeforums.org/1-wh ... t2167.html
http://hooksutplace.freeforums.org/2-wh ... t2168.html
http://hooksutplace.freeforums.org/3-pi ... t2169.html

I have not tried the Eavy server browser, but you may want to compare with Xbrowser.
It also has a server setup, so you can show visitors more info.

I have a copy of the denial of service patch, and was wondering the same question actually.
A quick look shows;
7/9/2002 IpDrv.dll for Unreal Tournament version 436, and the 451b patch was released in Mar-13-04
Hopefully the same fix is included 451
chaoticdreams.org - @TheChaosMod - Web IRChat - [url=irc://irc.quakenet.org/chaoticdreams]IRChat[/url]

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:12 am

Hahaha! Thank you sir but I'm now I'm am confusing this all up myself. Awwwwwwwww! I just now figured it out! Just right then! You are upgrading a regular UT CD to GOTY. I was going both ways but then I merged it into just a GOTY install. I was confused when you said to get the Rocket Arena because it is already in the GOTY.I think I was also confused because you said it was a mini guide to a recent install. Also in the list you mentioned Chaos updates and rocket arena updates. Chaos just has a most recent install and map packs. It comes with Rocket Arena and to the best of my knowledge there is no rocket arena update. There is a mod that you can add it to regular UT though. I thought you said you didn't have the retail version and just the GOTY. version. OK OK. I'm clear now.

Let me be more clear now. I installed using GOTY this time. I usually always did the retail version and all of my original documentation in the past for everything even S3TC was based from the installs of the retail version because when I first did it Chaos didn't even exist yet. It did when I first did S3TC manuals and even then I still did my manuals based on retail UT installs.

I will document fully both methods and provide links to everything that I am slowly collecting.

I'm going to skip the denial of service patch then.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:56 pm

I'm going to steer away from this project now. I want to make a set of install directions that work across the board and don't have dependencies on servers running certain versions of mods to make several of these mods function properly. Also I want the basic install to work on all servers and not be booted by anti-cheats for instance.

xbrowser adds some cool functionality provided the server you're looking at is set up to use it.

xconsole can be seen as a cheat by certain anti-cheat programs.

xmaps is "totally cool" but I don't see a need for it for a player so much unless that player plays alone lots of the time. then this would be extra-extra cool. I may have to look into this for my servers though. Does it clash with mapvote?

Why does the 451b patch have to go where you listed it or before?

What is the OMP update?

I'm still reviewing UnrealXP and enhanced 100 and the direct x 10 renderer. Darn. I didn't mean for this to turn into a bunch of work for anyone.

The only other thing I struggle with is version numbers. Each of all of these have lots of different versions and I can't tell which is the latest.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Dr.Flay

Post by Dr.Flay » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:41 pm

:wink: This is a "workshop" situation where I am letting you in on my experiment with my latest install.
Nothing is set in stone yet, and I am loving the useful feedback.

I only have the 2 CD GOTY version. I was just trying to put myself in the shoes of someone with only 1 CD.

Well to be honest I was assuming that BP2 was a UMOD that installed everything, so you then had to fix it.
As it turns out, the maps can just be extracted.

:?: I still have no idea if the 1 CD version has a DE mutator or not.

Using all the Chaos files from the site gives me the Chrek model and the Chaos desktop.

The final Rocket Arena release on ModDB is more complete than the GOTY version, and has more maps.
It has the documentation (not on the CD) and optional install to enable using the custom animations from the newer models in the Epic bonus packs.
:!: If your RA install can use the skeletal-anim models, then in you UT ini you should see;
"ServerPackages=RocketArenaMultiMesh"
If you do not, then you only have a basic version.

:idea: So even if you start with a full GOTY install, I would still advise updating to the final Chaos and RA releases, as this is what a 1xCD person will have to use.
They are that old and easily available, that any server admin not running the full versions, should be slapped repeatedly, until they read the documentation.

Yeah Xbrowser does need admin to use the server-side version for full effect, but I notice it still shows more info than the normal one anyway. There seem to be plenty of servers using it.
(It is fairly similar to the Unreal 227 browser.)

Xconsole has not been a problem so far, but that is good to know.
Whereas the new audio renderers in the OMP (Oldunreal Media Pack) have not been white-listed in ACE, so I get thrown out after a while. (solution is to swap to Galaxy)
OMP has the newest video and audio renderers.

:!: If you use the 451 patch before the EAX patch, the EAX patch will fail.
:!: If you use the 436 or 451 patch after any renderer updates and configuration, it will overwrite the video renderers and configs, so you will have to do it again.

Once you add Marginally enhanced UT, you access the new player and bot configs via the mod menu.
It fixes the problem of not seeing all your installed models if you have too many, and creates banks of bot-rosters, so you can configure and swap between custom teams easier.
eg. I have bank 1 as the default bots, 2 as superheroes and villans, 3 as zombies and monsters...etc.
This makes it easy to create new teams without removing the old ones. You just tick a box when you are ready to use it.
:idea: On a server, this could easily be 1 bank of normal bots, 1 of the house custom skins, 1 of Christmas skins, and 1 of Halloween skins, etc.

UnrealXP updates the main UT GUI and menus. (also very useful to keep the mod menu in alphabetical order.)

Xmaps is in, because every time I ever talk about UT essentials I get pestered about Xmaps being an important thing.
I guess until I bother to configure it I won't see the benefit, so the jury is still out on that one :mrgreen:

Just let me know which versions of what you can't work out.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:10 pm

The de. file is not in the first CD or bonus pack 1 so I'm lost as to how or when it appears other than when someone installs the BP#2.

More of a response from me later. Thanks for understanding that we are on the same page here with the difference being you are talking about a tweaked install and I'm (now) speaking of a great / easy install that will work for most people.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:40 pm

Confirmed. the DE file is not in UT CD1 or 2 but the first version of de that shows up is when you install any version of the 436 patch. I think also now that even if you run the BP#2 umod it does not add the maps. You have to do it separately! More as I continue testing this...

Here is more. I can't reproduce the de file mismatch error. I have tried everyway I know how to and it simply won't happen. I'm lost/confused. It is like it has been fixed or something.

Give it a go and let me know. I have installed the game and then installed bp1 and played and then bp and played again on a server with no issue.

My GOTY version has 3 disk by the way. the 3rd one is a .exe file that installs 1 map.

You said "The final Rocket Arena release on ModDB is more complete than the GOTY version, and has more maps.
It has the documentation (not on the CD) and optional install to enable using the custom animations from the newer models in the Epic bonus packs." Where is this?

You said ":!: If your RA install can use the skeletal-anim models, then in you UT ini you should see;
"ServerPackages=RocketArenaMultiMesh"
If you do not, then you only have a basic version."

To that I have to disagree. If it says that, I must have used some sort of a server install. I just checked and this line was not there. I'll hunt for and install the latest I can find and see if you are right. Fingers crossed! I'm only trying because you mentioned more maps or I read it somewhere.

I found a rocket arena 160 on this site you suggested. They don't mention maps or crap for that matter. How people can just install stuff like this with hardly any description blows my mind. Is this the one you suggested? That was the one I needed I think. I see that line in the server lines about the mesh.

I have found squat about UT-XP. Have a link?
Sure you still want a DirectX10 renderer? If so give me a link to the exact one please.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Dr.Flay

Post by Dr.Flay » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:10 am

Bugg*r me sideways !
I think we have stumbled into something odd.
Gonna make a brew and a smoke, and read all your post in a sec.

*EDIT*
AAAAAHHH !!!
damn it ! I just lost my post :cry:
Another coffee, and I'll try again.
(This has been more useful than expected :mrgreen: )

*EDIT... again*
OK. short version without the excitement :(

We tell anyone with a 1 CD v400, to use the 436 patch to fix the BP2 DE mutator if they installed it, and the GOTY owners can do either.
Using the patch again should be the last-resort, as it will overwrite any newer renderers.
:idea: We should probably all make a point of hosting the working mutator as a separate download for 1 CD owners, so they don't mess-up their installation.

As for what you have got working online ???!!!
Maybe the server was running specific mutator and map combos ? Did you see any ammo packs exploding ?
Well, Ill put the wrong one in again and try to find a server running it.
(I thought your Chaos server would be running it, but no :cry: )

Close inspection of the RA differences;
Final version has 2 more maps;
RA-Qwerty
RA-Revolver
and the main RocketArena.u files are a different size.

I think as there are no RA servers, it would be good to advise people to use the full version so they have the extra maps and multimesh support.
The multimesh support is added by using the bonus pack that should be in the zip.
(The version I have has 2 UMODs and a readme)
The 2nd UMOD should add the line "ServerPackages=RocketArenaMultiMesh"

Chaos differences. (Other than the tweaked turrets and extra weapons)
GOTY maps =9.
Full v1.1 only contains....umm, 1 map :shock: KOTH_BaseStationTheta
The maps on the GOTY CD are in Chaosut_Gotymappack.zip
http://www.moddb.com/mods/chaosut/addon ... y-map-pack
The ChaosUT_Beta4mappack contains extra 20 maps.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/chaosut/addon ... 4-map-pack

Unreal XP is a Wormbo mod, so not only is that a good thing, he is still around :mrgreen:
http://www.koehler-homepage.de/Wormbo/G ... sions.html
Actually I got it wrong. The other mod on the same page fixes the menus and player selection, and this one just adds modern menus (eg. office 2000).

The DX10 renderer will not be useful for many people at the moment.
It will be the future renderer we use for more advanced effects in U1 projects.
It can be used to add bump-mapping to existing textures, without editing the texture pack.
Bump-maps are added to sub-folders with the same name as the texture.
This way all existing maps stay network compatible, but DX10 users will see depth in the textures.
DX10 and up, allow the use of HD lighting, so it is up to mappers to use it.
The Counter Strike remake will use features only available in DX10+
http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/index.htm