Better frame rates in UT99

Post all off topic / off the wall content here!
a nameless entity
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Better frame rates in UT99

Post by a nameless entity » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:23 pm

I have reinstalled UT99. I've done everything that's needed to be done for the best visuals, & etc.

However I cannot remember how to change a setting in the preferences that improves your framerates online by a bit, and makes a huge improvement during practice games offline. :?

Herm you know what it is. Would you tell me once more please? :)
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

{DOU}Hippiekat

Post by {DOU}Hippiekat » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:17 pm

dont sync every frame...just a guess.

K

Post by K » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:01 am

Yes please share this secret of the universe. :o

serously , wow , how can you improve your framerates?

Hermskii
Site Admin

Easy

Post by Hermskii » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:31 am

It's usually easy. Read the section about framerates in the in how to manual:

http://www.hermskii.com/page6.html

Almost everything I know is this little book. Later!
~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:35 pm

Yes, that's it. :D

Read all of Chapter 4, near the bottom of the page 16 are the instructions you want. ;)

Scify

Post by Scify » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:34 pm

Nameless and Herm talking about about music play after you Quite Ut 99. I finaly figure it out.Don't get rid Intro city.
" If I had a brain, I'd be dangerous!"

Hermskii
Site Admin

Hmmm?

Post by Hermskii » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:42 pm

Really? That may be it but how do you know? Where did you get this info from? Thanks!
~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:47 pm

That's a funny thing Scify. I guess it's best left in then. :o

Speaking of music, I once installed Heretic II on this rig. When you started that game you would hear a little musical chord as the game was loading. I already had UT 99 installed when I put in Heretic II, and thereafter I would hear the same musical chord when I started UT 99. Even after I uninstalled Heretic II and got rid of everything associated with it, I would still hear this musical chord when I started up UT 99. But what is really weird is that even after I did a completely fresh reinstall of UT 99, I still hear that musical chord a couple of seconds before the City Intro music begins. :?

Oh, and getting back to better frame rates, that VSync fix only appears to be available when you are running in D3D. I can't find the option in Open_GL. I guess I could try switching to D3D for a bit, and do that change, and then switch back to Open_GL. I know that the fix continued to work last time. Not that it's really necessary for me though. I'm already getting around 150 fps. :lol:

Hermskii
Site Admin

Show off

Post by Hermskii » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:54 pm

Weird about your music thing Nameless. I don't care about the music still playing after shut down so I still change out the city intro movie per the manual. I'd erather walk away after gaming and let the music die a few seconds later the start the game and wait a few seconds longer for it to even start.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Scify

Post by Scify » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:12 am

Because I put it on my new hrad drive.I change got rid that Intro City.I end Ut 99 music play after I quite. That i know.
" If I had a brain, I'd be dangerous!"

Nr.2000

Post by Nr.2000 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:54 pm

a nameless entity wrote:Oh, and getting back to better frame rates, that VSync fix only appears to be available when you are running in D3D. I can't find the option in Open_GL. I guess I could try switching to D3D for a bit, and do that change, and then switch back to Open_GL. I know that the fix continued to work last time. Not that it's really necessary for me though. I'm already getting around 150 fps. :lol:
VSync is controlled via the SwapInterval command when running in OpenGL.

SwapInterval
The default value is -1, then the default buffer swapping method is used.
Set to 0 to disable V Sync.
Set to 1 to enable V Sync.
Set to higher values for one frame every N screen refreshes. Not all video drivers support values higher than 1.
From Digital-Silence wrote:In order to get a smoother transition between frames in 3D games, the video card puts the contents of the upcoming frame into its frame buffer. The frame buffer is part of the local memory that resides on the video card itself. It then moves the contents of the frame buffer to the screen. When this is complete, the frame buffer gets the next frame. This process repeats its self over and over.

VSYNC is basically the synchronizing of buffer swaps with your monitor's refresh rate. With VSYNC enabled, frame rates will not exceed the monitor's current refresh rate for that particular resolution. For example, if your monitor is using a refresh rate of 85Hz at 800x600, with VSYNC enabled, you will theoretically never exceed 85fps. So the refresh rate creates an artificial barrier that limits the frame rate.

So what happens if you are playing on an older monitor that only supports a 60Hz refresh rate. Will you have to live with a maximum of 60fps (assuming that your system can generate more fps)? Not necessarily. Newer video cards give you the option of disabling VSYNC. What happens is that this allows the buffer swapping to occur without synchronizing with the monitor's refresh rate. If it really was the refresh rate limiting you, disabling VSYNC may allow you to obtain frame rates in excess of 60fps. This, unfortunately, can also cause what are called 'visual anomalies': image tearing and flashing polygons. Some games run fine with VSYNC enabled, while other games crumble when VSYNC is disabled.
Last edited by Nr.2000 on Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flatus

Post by Flatus » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:58 pm

I dropped that long & boring city intro & now use for the LocalMap=UT-Logo-Map][.unr :D I also have a diff background & song in the menu area, but that's with a diff thing for it. I got so much stuff UT-ish, you'd crap your pants if I told you. :wink: :lol:

Hermskii
Site Admin

Good

Post by Hermskii » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:12 pm

Great Post NR2000. I still owe you a huge email too. Hey Flatus, WELCOME here. Glad you made it.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Flatus

Re: Good

Post by Flatus » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:31 pm

Hermskii wrote:Great Post NR2000. I still owe you a huge email too. Hey Flatus, WELCOME here. Glad you made it.
LOL, thanks again. Just posted more now since I did my 1st one last month. :lol: