Instantaneous loss of connection in UT 99

Post all off topic / off the wall content here!
a nameless entity
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Instantaneous loss of connection in UT 99

Post by a nameless entity » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:58 pm

Due to Dell's foot dragging, and continuing problems with power supply in my Dell 8200, I am reduced to trying to play UT on the old PII 300.

For some time now there has been something weird going on with the program on the old computer. It will hook up to any server just fine, and d/l any files needed to play. Then there is a long delay while I see the black screen that says Unreal Tournament in gold letters, and CONNECTING in blue letters underneath. After a long wait I see the map that is playing for about half a second, then I get the "connection lost" screen. It doesn't matter which server I try to connect to, it's the same everywhere: A long wait, I see the map for half a second, then I'm dumped back out and all attempts at reconnecting result in the same thing all over again. :(

Can anyone guess what is going on? I'd really rather not reinstall the game if I can avoid it. :?
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:19 am

Bah, I even tried fooling around with the UT.ini file to no avail. So I spent the evening reinstalling UT. :?

Anyway, after all that hassle, the first place I tried to go dumped me right out again. But after I tried again I got in and could play anywhere I liked. So all is fine now. Sort of. -If you like an average frame rate of 21 fps, that is. :roll: :(
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

Flatus

Post by Flatus » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:33 pm

I get that too sometimes, but it may be from getting a high ping or bad connection at the time. It's just the odd server the odd time.

Hermskii
Site Admin

OR

Post by Hermskii » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:07 pm

Or having your player set at spectator will do that on certain servers.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Nr.2000

Re: Instantaneous loss of connection in UT 99

Post by Nr.2000 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:27 pm

a nameless entity wrote:Due to Dell's foot dragging, and continuing problems with power supply in my Dell 8200, I am reduced to trying to play UT on the old PII 300.

For some time now there has been something weird going on with the program on the old computer. It will hook up to any server just fine, and d/l any files needed to play. Then there is a long delay while I see the black screen that says Unreal Tournament in gold letters, and CONNECTING in blue letters underneath. After a long wait I see the map that is playing for about half a second, then I get the "connection lost" screen. It doesn't matter which server I try to connect to, it's the same everywhere: A long wait, I see the map for half a second, then I'm dumped back out and all attempts at reconnecting result in the same thing all over again. :(

Can anyone guess what is going on? I'd really rather not reinstall the game if I can avoid it. :?
What happens is that the server kicks you because your connecting period is too long. I think its normal set to 15 sec... So if the connection screen is displayed more then 15 sec... you will often get booted.

This is what I had all the time before... It started getting more and more worse the more maps and other stuff I installed in UT.

It happens when UT has to little RAM. So to fix it buy more RAM, or simply keep your UT clean. Reinstall and leave all your downloads in the cache. This sure helped me a lot, when you running on a very small machine like me. Makes it easy to keep thing clean.

I only see the problem now sometimes when I 1st join a server, or on VERY large maps.