Windows 98SE returns!

Post all off topic / off the wall content here!
Hermskii
Site Admin
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Windows 98SE returns!

Post by Hermskii » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:33 am

I bought a picnic table to put in the garage so I'd have more room to build computers and stuff. My car stays in the driveway for right now.

My first mission was to build a legacy box. What's that? It is a WIndows based computer that can run all of the hardware and software that Windows XP refused to touch. I have lots of this stuff.

The box is a IBM 300PL with a Pentium III 733. It has 512mb SDRAM. The OS I put on it is Windows 98SE.

Phase one is complete. What was phase one? To get 98 installed and install a very sweet Voodoo 3 3500 AG w/TV video card in it. Why? So I could play UT using the Glide renderer again the way it is supposed to be played. Success! I can play UT with this Voodoo card that only has 16mb of video ram. Get this: I have seen framerates as high as 83fps though it tends to stay around 60-70!!!

Phase 2 will be to install my One Touch Visioneer Scanner to it and scan something.

Phase 3 will be to install my Syquest Sparq 1GB internal removable hard drive and change out drives using any of the 30+ 1GB drives I have.

Phase 4 Part A will be to install and play Red Baron 3D. XP would not play it since it was too old. This is special because with Glide used as the renderer, the game was built to enable the pilot to see through the wings above and below to better spot the enemy.

Phase 4 Part B will be to use my Saitek joystick that XP would not use to fly my aircraft in the Red Baron game or any other game.

Phase 5 will be to install and Warlords II and III since XP can't seem to play it well at all being no sound or no music. I can't remember since it's been so long.

Phase 6 will be to see what else I can find and run that XP wouldn't run!

So that's what I'm doing this weekend while building and giving my nephew a newer computer. He has a Gateway Pentium 700. I'm stepping him up to a NForce board NV7m with an XP1900 in it. He's so excited. He's 12 and one of the smartest kids I've ever met. He installed his own system on the gateway including surround sound and GForce 2 Pro video card. Ican't wait to see that smile when it boots up the first time for him. It's in the garage next to the legacy box now. It is tested and ready to go!
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hermskii
Site Admin

Progress

Post by Hermskii » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:40 am

I have Win98SE running. Voodoo 3 3500 w/TV is in. Red Baron is on and running with Saitek joystick. Visioneer still not hooked up yet. Warlords games installed and running well. Syquest won't go in because I only have two bays and they have the CD and the CD burner in them working well.

I gave my nephew his newer PC. He freaking loves it. No tears of joy though. Darn! I also fixed my other nephews PC over this last weekend so he is happy too. All good here now. More later. I must mention that Yahoo chat and video over wireless doesn't work nearly as good as MSN Messenger on Win98. Also, the highest version of Messenger that does work on 98 is 7.0 . Even Yahoo complained while being installed and wanted me to install a light version minus several features. I said no and took the full install. I may have to upgrade to Windows 2000 to get it to run stable enough for Messenger programs. The games work fine, it may also be my wireless connection. We'll see. Later.
~Peace~

Hermskii

dani

Post by dani » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:39 am

boy you have been a busy busy man. oh so sweet to upgrade the nephew. man i would love to have a grab bag day in your pc stuff :P
good luck!