Grateful Thread

Post all off topic / off the wall content here!
Hook
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
NoMoreSpam: Silver
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Re: Grateful Thread

Post by Hook » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:17 am

Yes, I agree!
Things a GOOD now!
Thanks for all this! :wink:
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

David

Post by David » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:22 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43249972/ns ... ?GT1=43001

I am grateful that there are good people still out there. Good Job Staff Sgt Peoples!
Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Hermskii
Site Admin
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes

Post by Hermskii » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:57 am

That was an awesome story to read. We certainly need more folks like this guy around. I'm one of them. I caught a robbery in progress before but it didn't make the news. It was at a local 7-11 type store. I've had multiple drug dealers busted too over time. I pay close attention to my surroundings usually and usually am not afraid to act.
~Peace~

Hermskii

David

Post by David » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:32 pm

This morning as I was getting ready to go to church this morning, I received an automated phone call. I normally hate automated phone calls........ I almost hung up the phone.

Anyway, this automated phone call was from my bank, Wells Fargo Bank. It stated something to the effect that there was some unusual credit card purchases that were made today (yes I did say TODAY) and they (the bank) wished to confirm if I made this purchases. Then it gave you information on the purchase. Just to name one as an example...Mcdonalds for $17........ well my family and I have been out of town and had been eating out during this last week but when I was advised that this McDonald's was in New York City... I knew this to be not my charge. Once I acknowledge that this was not my charge, I then got transferred to a live person.

They discovered that there have been 3-4 purchases in New York on my credit card. They closed my account and they will open a new account for me and I am not responsible for those charges that I did not make.

I normally check my accounts at least once a day to keep track and to keep an eye on my accounts to make sure I will notice things like this. But these charges were so new that they did not even show up yet on line.

So I am grateful that Wells Fargo did protect me in this matter. So I want to give credit when credit is due and I think Wells Fargo caught this very early, and it saved me from a lot of possible head aches. THANK YOU WELLS FARGO.

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:01 pm

The same thing happened to me a few years ago with a credit card from my bank. I came home one night to find a message on my answering machine from my bank asking me to call such and such a number. So I called them via a different number just to be careful, and it turned out to truly be a message from their credit card security department. Apparently they were alerted by a long distance call charged to my card, and since I'd never done that before, and it is a way thieves use to test if a bogus card will work, a flag went up. Shortly afterwards a $600-$800 charge for clothes in a nearby city appeared also. They froze the card. I confirmed that I had not been to that city in a few years, so my card was voided and a new one issued.

As best I can figure, as this had happened not all that long after the scandal about both Visa and Mastercard having their databases hacked wide open, someone had bought my card information and made a bogus card up.

With all the skimmers and hackers doing their best to rip us all off in new ways every day, it's not surprising to hear your story David. There's no telling how long someone was holding on to your information before he sold it, either.

I just recently reduced the credit limits on my cards, and was pleased to learn that at long last the banks are not allowed to just raise them back up again any time they please. This was something they used to do a lot, and it was very exasperating to have to call again to complain and get the limits pushed back down to where I wanted them.

Hopefully this new chip and pin stuff will help prevent fraud effectively. It's a bit of a pain to have to think of a set of numbers I won't forget easily for each card. But if it works it will be worth it.

I'm grateful my bank was so on top of things, but I am not happy about the fees they charge the stores for credit and debit cards. They're so high that a guy I know who runs a record shop and that I've been doing business with since the late '70's finally said enough was enough and now works strictly in cash. I'd be grateful if they got real and stopped that nonsense.
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:58 am

Thanks for the info and the warnings.
~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:01 am

I learned recently that Canada used celebrate Thanksgiving Day on the weekend closest to November 6th. But due to the Great War's ending on November the 11th in 1918, and that day's becoming Remembrance Day, the day we celebrate Thanksgiving was moved forward to near the beginning of October. So it's over for us, but still nearly a month away for the USA. No matter, here is something I read recently that applies any time of the year:

If you woke up this morning with more health than illness, you are more
blessed than the million people who will not survive this week.

If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the loneliness of
imprisonment, the agony of torture or the pangs of starvation, you are
ahead of 500 million people in the world today.

If you can attend an ideological meeting (and that would include a church service
such as this) without fear of harassment, arrest, torture or even death, you
are more blessed than 3 billion people in the world.

If you have food in the refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof overhead
and a place to sleep you are richer than 75% of the world’s population.

If you have money in the bank, money in your wallet and spare change in
a dish some place, you are among the top 8% of the world’s wealthy.

If you can read you are more fortunate than over 2 billion people in the
world that cannot read at all.
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

Scify

Post by Scify » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:14 am

I use Discover card for buy thing on INTERNET because of few year somebody use it for something.Discover Card has Secure Online Account Numbers in stand real number.Not same number for different stores.
" If I had a brain, I'd be dangerous!"

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:01 am

I am very grateful for all of the stats that I fell into the good side of that Nameless mentioned.
~Peace~

Hermskii

David

Post by David » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:41 am

I am grateful for advancement of technology. It can be a double edge sword, but I want to say that I am grateful for the internet and for able to "google" answers to questions that you used to have to buy the books and hope that they have the answers.

As an example, my clothes dryer stopped working. I googled the symptoms and I found a common answer. I then was able to order a part through a website that I have done with in the past, repairclinic.com. I ordered the part around 11 am (Arizona time) and had it FedEx overnight and I got the part the next day by 1 pm. I replaced the board and it works.

So I am grateful for the technology and companies that made that all possible.

Count your blessings name them one by one. Of course my family is first and most important, but I dare not to overlook the "small" ones that help our lives flow more efficient.

David

Post by David » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:08 pm

I am grateful that I have good kids. My youngest daughter made this picture for school. If you knew me personally you would know that I enjoy hot wings....good hot wings. People who know me would think I am a fanatic of GOOD hot wings. I am a connoisseur of hot wings... anyways this picture is a personal one and does me proud..
Pot of Gold.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by David on Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZippityDooDa

Post by ZippityDooDa » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:28 pm

David wrote:I am grateful that I have good kids. My youngest daughter made this picture for school. If you knew me personally you would know that I enjoy hot wings....good hot wings. People who know me would think I am a fanatic of GOOD hot wings. I am a connoisseur of hot wings... anyways this picture is a personally one and does me proud..
Pot of Gold.JPG
David you and I would get along great in person, I love hot-wings I am always asking my wife to make them lol She has it down pat now, I love them HOT, and buffalo wild wings is right across the street, I always order 12 boneless Wild, man is it good.
11100000.11111111.11111111.00000000 /24

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:22 pm

I like the hot wings for a hang-over fix. My wife is a big fan too!
~Peace~

Hermskii

David

Post by David » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:31 pm

KiLLaKeLLeR wrote:
David wrote:I am grateful that I have good kids. My youngest daughter made this picture for school. If you knew me personally you would know that I enjoy hot wings....good hot wings. People who know me would think I am a fanatic of GOOD hot wings. I am a connoisseur of hot wings... anyways this picture is a personally one and does me proud..
Pot of Gold.JPG
David you and I would get along great in person, I love hot-wings I am always asking my wife to make them lol She has it down pat now, I love them HOT, and buffalo wild wings is right across the street, I always order 12 boneless Wild, man is it good.
I got this recipe from a friend about 10 years ago. We have used it often. My co-workers enjoy the flavor of these wings.
HOT WINGS.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:21 am

My son-in-law makes "Killer" Hot Wings that are awesome!
A lot of people come to their house when he makes them - usually once or twice a month.
He has 2 gas fired deep fryers going outside.
He has this huge stainless steal mixing bowl for the hot sauce coating that he loads a lot of sticks of real butter into and his other ingredients, mixing and boiling until it is just the right thickness.
He then throws in enormous piles of his fried wings out of those friers into this big bowl and tosses the wings until they are coated well - then dumps this bowl onto large platters for the hoard of guests and family to devour.
Very good - but they are just slightly too HOT for me - oh I can take it, but I prefer to enjoy the flavor of it all more than the heat.
He also makes BBQ flavor too, so you have both.

Gooooood Eating! :P
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777