Grateful Thread

Post all off topic / off the wall content here!
David
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Grateful Thread

Post by David » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:21 pm

Alright,....This is the brother of the vent thread I started and its name is the Grateful thread. I know this brother is not as fun or as easy as the other brother. Most likely will not be as popular either.

I thought about this topic last night before I had to go to work, but I put it off until I woke up this afternoon. I had second thoughts about doing the thread after I woke up but then something I read confirmed to me that I should do the thread. So here it is.

I searched the forum with the term "grateful" and I discovered only two people had stated that they were grateful for something. The two people were Hermskii and David (me :wink: ). I had 7 posts and Herm had 5 posts that states the term grateful.

List something that you are grateful and do something about it, such as "pay it forward" (random acts of kindness, may be based on what you are grateful for).
Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

David

Re: Grateful Thread

Post by David » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:54 pm

I will start, since it was my thread.

Recently I have thought of my life and knew of two good people that were friends and had a solid position in my life back in that specific time in my life.

Friend #1 was my high school friend. When I moved to Salem Oregon and was the new kid in high school, this friend (who I did not know at the time) came to my house and invited me to go bowling with him and two female friends. We developed a good brother type friendship and his family was as my second family. Through him I had meet my other best high school friends and some girlfriends :wink: . He was one of the reasons I consider those years as the best years of my youth. I had a lot of fun and it started due his friendship with me. This happened about 20 years ago and we have not had a lot of contact since then because we both moved on with our lives. We have each others email addresses and communicated several time throughout the years. So what I did was to write a "Thank You" letter. I thanked him for the act of coming over to my house and invited me to be friends with him and his friends. I thanked him for his true friendship with me. I stated what it meant to me to be his friend.

Friend #2 was a supervisor I had at a job about 12 years ago. This job could be a demanding job in a volatile work environment and friend #2 showed confidence in his job output and the way he performed his job. I told myself that when I became a supervisor I wanted to be like friend #2 because of the great example he provided. We became good friends. I later left that employment and lost contact with friend #2. Now at my current job, I made a supervisor rank about 3 years ago and I have tried to become as friend #2. But I am not like friend #2, like I wanted. But I still think he was a great example, the best example of a supervisor that I have had. So what I did was to write a "Thank you" letter and indicated that he was such a great example of a supervisor I wanted to become like him but due to my personality difference I was not able become like him but he was still the standard of a great supervisor and that I fell short of it. I do my best to be like him but I know we are different which is OK. I feel as though I am a better supervisor because of him.

I felt the need to write these letters because something told me that I needed to express to them that I valued their examples/friendship. I did so without wanting to receive something in return.

What are you grateful for and what can you do to “pay it forward”?

Hermskii
Site Admin
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes

Post by Hermskii » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:15 pm

Hmmm? Good thread and good stories. I don't have anything off the top of my head but I know I'm very gratefull for a lot of things these days. I'll have to revisit this thread and God forbid that I'm drinking when I do. An easy and quicks thanks I can pump out is to people like you David and Nameless and Hook etc who will continue to come here year after year and contribute. That means everything to me and assist in make making this all worth it for me!
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:43 pm

For a quick reply (now) I have to say I am Grateful for my Family...
Both My real family and also my UT family online here. :wink:
I is great to be able to chat with all of you and rely on your help, etc. :P
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

David

Post by David » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:24 am

Well first off I wanted to say thank you to the US government for being on time... Thank You! :D

My federal return came in today and I was able to pay off my credit card. So I am very thankful. I am not boasting or trying to be boastful, but I am trying to express my gratitude. I feel that it is important to share/express your gratitude and not to hide it and let it dwindle away unknown. Have an attitude of gratitude (not always easy, nor is it always done, but I am trying to get better)

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:04 am

I hope to be as grateful about my return as you are yours!
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:48 pm

Well, I got a decent Tax Return also - Thanks Uncle Sam! :wink:

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:56 am

I just had a look at the slide show in Herm's "Drugs are bad" thread. So I guess I can thank my parents once again for wanting, loving, and raising me right. So many unloved children out there hurting themselves! OMG. :o :(
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:12 pm

Amen to that Nameless! Thank God for good parents! My mother was the best!
~Peace~

Hermskii

David

Post by David » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:33 am

I was up early (night off from work and could not sleep) and I was looking at some good topics/threads. I like the "Needs" topic.

I wanted to post something there, but when I thought about it, and with my frame of mind right now, at this point of time, and where I am sitting, there is nothing of real value that I am in need of (if you catch my drift). I have my wife, who is my best friend; I have my two beautiful daughters, the youngest will be getting baptized later today; we have shelter over our heads; we have food in the fridge, we will have BBQ drumsticks later on the grill today; My in-laws will come for the baptism, and will leave today 8) ; it is all good. I will end this before this time passes and something selfish creeps into my mind that I would want.

In the great words of our friend and Site Admin... PEACE!

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:56 am

Sorry to hear you were in a bad frame of mind but I'm thrilled that you stopped and looked around enough to know you are still in a much better place than many if not most. Congrats on the Baptism too! Awesome.

Do you like the in laws too? I like mine very much.

I stopped yesterday while on my covered porch serveying my backyard and bowed my head and prayed a prayer of thanks for all that I have. I have a beautiful wife with 2 great children, 2 pretty OK dogs (LOL) a pretty good house, a job I like and my health. Things have been looking up a for a while or at least a little better than normal for longer and longer periods of time.

How do people get by without having God in their lives??? It seems crazy to me.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hook

Post by Hook » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:17 pm

David - Hermskii - you guys just said it all I think.
I gotta Ditto all of that.
I thank God every day for what He has given to me and my family.
When things aren't going as well as we like, I have to just stop and think that there are so many others in the world that are not near as blessed as we are and that we really do have it very good because He allowed it. :wink:

Great Posts!

David

Post by David » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:32 pm

I just wanted to say that I am grateful for the ability to post thoughts or share stories on this forum. Thank you Hermskii for allowing me to do so and maintaining this site.

In my life, I am a person who likes to stay in the shadows and not to be noticed. In my job, I am in the "center stage" and get the all responsibility and blame. So it is nice to relax in the shadows and yet share and be among people that have been decent. Thank you.

David

Post by David » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:57 pm

I also wanted to say thank you to Herm, Hook, and Fuzz_Ball who have great servers where I am able to enjoy some matches. Thank you guys.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:38 am

You got it man in the shawdows! I'm grateful to have a person posting here regularly who isn't a muck-raker! I love that word. I saw it a few months ago. Must be english or somethng. Back to you David, thanks for being a normal regular. You are a rare treat! With peeps like you and Nameless and HOOK, it has been quiet and non-offending, non-hazardous around here for a good while now. Easy on my nerves and easy to maintain at my slow speed! Peace out all!
~Peace~

Hermskii