Dammit, I WANT one!

Post all off topic / off the wall content here!
Hermskii
Site Admin
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Re: Dammit, I WANT one!

Post by Hermskii » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:06 pm

WTH is right! Since when was there ever a right angle on a Indian motorcycle. Look at that rear fender. I could have made that. Teardrop contours is what Indians are supposed to be about. Look at everything. There are angles and edges whether sharp or not are wrong on cruisers. Autumn colors too please.
~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No

Post by a nameless entity » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:25 pm

Hermskii wrote:WTH is right! Since when was there ever a right angle on a Indian motorcycle. Look at that rear fender. I could have made that. Teardrop contours is what Indians are supposed to be about. Look at everything. There are angles and edges whether sharp or not are wrong on cruisers. Autumn colors too please.
Look at everything indeed! For instance see how stupid those rear shocks look. They look just tacked on there for show. -In fact everything on this bike is just so wrong that I want to mouth off about it even more!

And most of the choices of paint schemes for each of the models this year are bad. The only thing good about that is that next year they can correct this year's mistakes. Harley has done the same many times. Paintwise, there's always next year.

But if Indian doesn't sit down and do a serious redesign of the Scout model over the coming year, there might not BE a next year for this model. Or even the whole company!
If I am wrong about it all, and these things sell like hotcakes; then I will know I am old and past it and should hang up my leather jacket for good. :?
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:24 pm

Yesterday I read the Cycle World first look and ride article on the new Indian Scout.

Overall, they liked it. They liked the motor, the handling and etc. very much. They said little or nothing either way about the styling, so far as I recall.

Some spokesman from the Indian motor company said something to the effect that because they had followed the Chief's original styling so faithfully, and it had been very successful, that they had the right to depart from tradition and style the bike any which way they pleased.

In reply to that sentiment my answer is that I'm glad to learn that they have done well by the powerplant, but as far as the styling goes all I've got to say is gentleman cow dropping. :roll:

I suppose if I am right about this and the customers agree with me, then we can look forward to seeing the lines of this bike gradually being rounded into the more traditional and correct shapes. I sure hope so, anyway. It sounds as though this machine has a lot of potential. It's just too butt ugly the way it is now, that's all.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:49 pm

In your opinion has the perfect shape ever been presented before by any maker? I like the fat, lazy, double wide extra low quiet choppers that are black and gray with lots of chrome. Some leather and tassels are always good too. I don't like the exhaust pointing down at the outlet and it must be dual pipes, one on each side. I big-giant round headlight that can be turned on and off whether the bike is running and a kick starter just to make bets with though I'd want electric start. Some bags on the back and nice high round back seat for my lady. Tires need to be fatter than my thigh. I want it so fat and low to the ground that it almost can't fall over. So fat it couldn't pop a wheelie if it tried. 1 big chrome gas cap top dead center on the gas tank. No right angles or edges that aren't round. Two equal sized gauges side by side for speed and rpms. Add more tassels. Little m single piece handlebars. Ignition right switch right between the headlight and the gauges. Perfect!
Not bad huh? I don't even ride chopper type bikes but when I do that will be it.
If you ever see that let me know.
Until then? Hayabusa all the way.
~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:52 pm

Well go and check out the Indian Chief Classic then, Herm. It is darn close to what you were describing. I just saw the black and red two tone paint job on one of them. Nice!
It has dual gas caps, but I bet you will soon be able to get a large after market gas tank with a single filler in the centre. And you could find a nice set of rpm and speedo gauges that mount on the handlebars.
Or you could just save a lot of money and forgive its not quite perfectness, and just mount a tachometer on the handlebar. I've seen lots of different aftermarket units that fit there over the years. :)

http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-ca/c ... nder-black

Here's the latest version of the bike that was the tipping point for me wanting a Harley 30+ years ago:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/content/ ... rider.html

I just saw one of these the other day outside of a tattoo parlour. I should check out if there is a muffler tip for that stock can that would make it look like the original "baloney cut" single muffler on the original Low Riders.

And as to the Indian Scout, as I've said all they need to do is make the sheet metal more rounded in shape. A gas tank more tear drop shaped, and fenders closer to the originals would be great. They could put black shrouds over the rear shocks to give the appearance of the original hard tail frames too. That would work very nicely.

Edit: While in YouTube I entered 2015 Indian Scout into the search bar and came up with a bunch of videos on the new machines. Here is a very good rider impression video that lasts a decent 17 minutes so you can get a good idea of what the Scout is like to ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRMDJIRilgs

A lot of people seem to like the bike. I think it may sell well. However I stand firm in my dislike of the styling. It's not a very pretty ride at all. They did so nicely with the styling of the Chiefs. Why couldn't they have been more true to the Scouts as well?

David

Post by David » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:49 pm

How about wanting one of this?......
P1010026.JPG
I am not talking about the juvenile either..... 8)
P1010028.JPG
P1010030.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

David

Post by David » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:50 pm

and the last one.
P1010032.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:09 pm

Gee, and I had to walk to school. :(

That's a pretty cool looking machine, alright. Do you know anything about it? Is it a customizer's idea of how a school bus should be? Or perhaps a restored antique?

I'm guessing a one off customization, but have no idea, really. 8)

David

Post by David » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:41 pm

a nameless entity wrote: That's a pretty cool looking machine, alright. Do you know anything about it? Is it a customizer's idea of how a school bus should be? Or perhaps a restored antique?

I'm guessing a one off customization, but have no idea, really. 8)
I know almost nothing about it. I did discover this today after I tried to research the bus.

I just learned through the video that there is a little tourist trap called Bedrock AZ. Did not know that and I live in northern AZ.

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:38 pm

oh yes!

When I was a youngin, there was an old junk yard way up in northern Minnesota that had lots of real old cars - nothing newer than 1960.
I spotted a 1939 Milk truck that was sooo sweet.
Cool thing was, it was in good running order with dual tired rear axle.
Even the refer worked so it had AC!
All the tires and battery were stored indoors to preserve them.
I wanted to street machine her!
My parents wouldn't let me get it though.
Years later somebody else had the same idea and fixed it up.
At least SOMEBODY did it - I was glad in just knowing that. :wink:
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:57 pm

Back on June 20th this year I went over to the new Indian dealership here in town that's been open since the beginning of the year. They were having a demo day. There were all of the models of Chief and Scout available to ride.

When I got there I saw a pair of customer's Scouts parked in front of the store, so I checked those out. The Scout is not as ugly in 3D as it appears in the photographs you can see online. But neither is it a handsome bike. In fact it looks rather ordinary. And very much like some Japanese designed idea of what a Harley clone should look like. It's just as plain Jane and uninteresting visually, as any Honda, Suzuki, or Kawasaki cruiser.
However, everything I overheard from the demo riders confirmed that it is a nice riding bike.

But I am still disappointed that Polaris chose not to style the bike after the original Scouts, or the later skirted fender models. The forward controls and footpegs instead of proper Scout floorboards is a big disappointement too. I hate forward controls. It's like riding with your feet on the highway pegs all day, and that is tiring. You need somewhere mid mount to move your feet back to at some point, if you plan to ride many hours straight. Otherwise you're forced to pull over and stop for a rest whether or not you have the time or desire to do so.

I was also a bit disappointed with the Chiefs. They have floorboards, and the styling is correct, but I didn't like the design or placement of the gear shifter. It's placed as if you have forward control footpegs, and must be a pain to upshift. I overheard a woman commenting on that later in the day. She didn't like that at first, and had to "get used to it".
I suppose I could get used to it too, though.
But I should point out that there are some fit and finish details that Polaris must work out. I saw small ripples in the castings on the Chief engine covers at the top, that are supposed to suggest the cooling fins of the old flat head motors. Some of the paint and other small fitment details were a bit off on the floor models in the store too.
This confirms things I've seen on the Indian website under owner comments. You might say that these are small nit picks, but as these machines are premium priced units, you have every right to expect top quality in every respect.
Hopefully as time goes on Polaris will sort these issues out. It is early days yet.

I did not go for a demo ride on either the Chief or the Scout. I had planned to, but the arthritis in my back had other plans for me that day. 1100 mg of tylenol with 16mg of codeine failed to ease things, so I was content to just watch, and chat with the other people there for the day about their bikes, and what have you. :)

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:21 pm

I bet that was still fun for you.
~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:53 pm

I just read in the March issue of Cycle World that Polaris industries has decided to pull the plug on their Victory Motorcycle Division. :o
They are apparently planning to concentrate their resources on the Indian motorcycle division, which is doing better in sales.

I can't honestly say I'm heartbroken to hear this. In my opinion Victory's were always trouble prone. It took Polaris 10 years to get the motors reliable, and the transmissions in the Victory big twins are still to this day rather crude, according to most reviews in the motorcycle magazines.

Let's wish Polaris continuing luck with their efforts at building the new Indian motorcycles. Perhaps they'll bring out a Scout model that looks more like an original Indian. :)

I see by the website that Kiwi Indian motorcycles in California is still around. My spine is deteriorating, but I'd still buy one of their '39 Chief replicas if I were to ever win the lotto. Even if all I could manage was to ride it around town!

http://www.kiwiindian.com/1939-chieftain

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:53 pm

I was going to rename my oil company to Victory Oil but the name was already taken. They wanted $2,400.00 for me to buy the domain name. I liked the name but not that much. Now maybe they will let it expire and I 'll be able to get it!

Ha! I just checked and it is still for sell. I wonder how much they want for it now? Holy crap! I just looked again for a price and found it. They almost want $10,000 for it now. No way! Behold:

https://www.hugedomains.com/domain_prof ... yoil&e=com
~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:08 pm

You own an oil company?
And all this time I though you were a PC systems tech.
Are you pulling my chain, or trying to sell me some lube for it? :wink: