Dammit, I WANT one!

Post all off topic / off the wall content here!
a nameless entity
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Re: Dammit, I WANT one!

Post by a nameless entity » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:11 am

Videos are now available for Kiwi Indians! :mrgreen:

You just need to watch the top two videos. The rest are mostly just about the business of making the Kiwi Indian motorcycles, rather than about the bikes themselves.

http://www.kiwi-indian.com/vids.html

Sweet sounding V-Twins!

:D
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:07 pm

Oooo yeah, baby! I've said all along if anyone wants to revive the Indian brand properly, that they have got to design an all new engine.

While I've yet to find a YouTube video of a prototype of the new Polaris Indian Chief motorcycle itself, I have found a few short videos about the new and totally awesome looking engine!
This baby is true to the original look of the Scout 45 and Chief 74 engines. Nice!

Now I have another type of Indian to say: "Dammit, I WANT one!" about. :mrgreen:

Click this link to Hear the sound of the new Indian motor

I can't wait to hear what it will sound like with the stock cans replaced by some nice after market units that open up the exhaust. :wink: :mrgreen:

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:15 pm

The new Indian motorcycles were introduced recently at the Sturgis motorcycle rally in South Dakota.

Here's the link to the model line up: http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/motorcycles

In my opinion there's a little too much body work hiding things from the motor on back. The old skirted fender Indians were not this enclosed at all. I'm wondering what they're hiding. I'm guessing that they have gone with a single shock rear suspension that mounts at the top just under the seat. Or possibly that they've gone with a "softail" type of rear suspension. But I think the odds of that are low.
-Oops I see a swing arm on the "Classic". So no softail type suspension. I don't think there's room in there for traditional twin shocks. So I'm back to guessing a mono shock. But it seems we'll have to wait for the magazines to show us what's hidden under there.

Attention all Americans in the lower 48 states: Hurry up and enter the free draw to win a new Polaris Chief! You lucky stiffs. :?

Hermskii
Site Admin
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes

Post by Hermskii » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:45 am

I'm impressed Nameless with your true love of these things. I love to see passion in people about stuff and things. You have a passion and it is more contagious than you think. Keep it up brother even when you don't get responses each time.
~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:23 pm

Thanks Herm. I really appreciate having a place to talk about this stuff. :D

Let me say again that all Americans of the lower 48 states are eligible to enter the free draw to win one of the new Chiefs. If you did not click on the link I gave above or find the draw, here is a direct link to the sweepstakes page:

http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/c ... entry.aspx

Go for it. If you don't ride yourself you can always sell it or give it to a friend.
( I have someone in mind if you can't think of anybody. :twisted: )

It would be awesome to hear that an HOH member had won! 8)

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:57 am

a nameless entity wrote: In my opinion there's a little too much body work hiding things from the motor on back. I'm wondering what they're hiding. I'm guessing that they have gone with a single shock rear suspension that mounts at the top just under the seat. But it seems we'll have to wait for the magazines to show us what's hidden under there.
The latest issue of Cycle World magazine has a short article describing the bikes and some riding impressions from a very brief "quick ride" session. Go and check it out!

They mention that Polaris fully intends their new Indian motorcycles to be around for the long haul, and that it is likely that a Sport Scout will be developed at some point in the years ahead. (The late 20's era Scouts are considered one of the finest motorcycles ever built. The later 1930's - early 1940's Sport Scouts had one of the most awesome flat head engines ever designed, and were the ultimate affordable squid bikes of their day. They were perhaps the most loved and popular bikes Indian ever built.) So I will be very interested to see what they come up with at Polaris.

There's also a short list of specifications in the article, and it turns out that I guessed correctly. The rear suspension is a swing arm with a mono shock. :mrgreen:

Dr.Flay

Post by Dr.Flay » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:39 pm

I'm a country-boy, so trail-bikes are more my thang.
I would like one of these...
http://www.realclassic.co.uk/arms030307.html
and to turn it into one of these...
http://www.ratbike.org/gallery.php

...Yes Mad Max did leave an impression on me ;)
chaoticdreams.org - @TheChaosMod - Web IRChat - [url=irc://irc.quakenet.org/chaoticdreams]IRChat[/url]

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:03 pm

I'm liking that military one that the Dr. put up first.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Dr.Flay

Post by Dr.Flay » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:43 am

May have helped to post a pic.
It doesn't look flashy or "cool" but, that is no use to me in the middle of the woods.
Sturdy and built for the battle-field. As good on the road, as off-road.

Though finding it in the dark, in the woods may be tricky :mrgreen:
chaoticdreams.org - @TheChaosMod - Web IRChat - [url=irc://irc.quakenet.org/chaoticdreams]IRChat[/url]

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:09 am

It's purrrty.
~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:42 pm

I like it too. I love that flat seat. One size fits all.

It brings to mind the awesome Kawasaki KLR 650. If I lived in the mountains of B.C. I'd want either the KLR or one of those Rotax powered bikes. What an excellent all round performer. Great on the highway, and can travel the logging roads and mountain trails with ease. 8)

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:34 am

You are reading my mind. For the longest I was just looking for a Honda XL500. Then I heard about the newer version of it being the Honda XR600L or something like that and that KAWI you just mentioned. I see both of these here in Houston all of the time. I have even seen a version of that all one color bike. It was for sale at a Kawi shop.
~Peace~

Hermskii

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:08 am

Here's a video of the Chief Vintage model being test ridden during a demo ride event:

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Mon May 26, 2014 10:42 pm

There's an Indian dealership nearby now. It's listed as being an Oakville, Ontario dealership but it is in fact located in the next town to the west in Burlington, Ontario. So the Victory dealership there is now also selling Indians. Perhaps they intend to move the Indian operation to Oakville at a later date.
I'm a bit surprised that they might actually have some stock to sell. I would have thought that almost everything would stay stateside for the first few years.

But the point that I'm getting to is that I actually saw a Thunderstroke 111 Chieftan here in town this afternoon. I was walking along the main drag in town when two bikes pulled up to a light at the corner ahead. I spotted the Indian style front fender on the one bike, and tried to see if was an old Indian, old Harley clone Indian, or one of the new Polaris Indians. It was the Polaris, and the fellow on the bike spotted the Harley T shirt I was wearing and called out to me. I walked up to him and started to check out his bike, but just then the light changed and off he went. But at least I've finally gotten to see one of these new Indians up close, albeit just for a second or two. 8) :)

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:35 pm

a nameless entity wrote: They mention that Polaris fully intends their new Indian motorcycles to be around for the long haul, and that it is likely that a Sport Scout will be developed at some point in the years ahead. (The late 20's era Scouts are considered one of the finest motorcycles ever built. The later 1930's - early 1940's Sport Scouts had one of the most awesome flat head engines ever designed, and were the ultimate affordable squid bikes of their day. They were perhaps the most loved and popular bikes Indian ever built.) So I will be very interested to see what they come up with at Polaris.
They have introduced a new 69 cubic inch model called a "Scout" already.

And OMG wtf were they thinking?!? It has to be the butt ugliest motorcycle ever made. Indians were always styled to be visually beautiful, and Polaris was able to come up with a Chief that looked very true to the originals. It is not perfect, but it's not bad. But this ......... abomination ........... is so far off of the mark that I cannot believe what has happened. Here's the link, but be sure you've got a bottle of TUMS handy when you click on it. Scroll down the entire page once your stomach is ready, and prepare to be dismayed:

http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-ca/s ... lver-smoke

What the #&@$ is up with all that clunky body work? Why isn't the front fender a proper valenced style of unit? Why is the headlight mounted so low, and so small in relative size? And Geezuz Ker eye ssttt, the gas tank!! *gag*

And the engine styling? Was there a virus in the computer software? Why wasn't it caught before production?

Look at the photo of the left side of the bike. It looks like they raided an old parts bin for the original Yamaha "Star" motorcycle. :evil:

Final conclusion: ONE HUGE EPIC FAIL.

Recommendation: Fire the idiots that brought this thing about at once.

Advice: Save the engine and transmission, but restyle asap. Go back to the drawing board, and come up with something that is both sporty and yet true to the original sylistically.
Rename it the Sport Scout and try again. :? :roll: :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.