Computer Question

Post all off topic / off the wall content here!
Hermskii
Site Admin
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Re: Computer Question

Post by Hermskii » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:01 am

If your hardware firewall is set up which by defualt they usually are right out of the box AND if your PC was already secure before hand then you should be perfectly safe. The Windows firewall is a slightly nice addition too.

I'd still like for you to keep the ZoneAlarm for a little while. Watch and see what attacks but more importantly is what tries to get out. If I recall, ZoneAlarm will pop up a bubble saying some program is trying to get out when it tries. At that time, you have to go to the web and search to find a description of what it is trying to get out and determine if you want to let it out or not. A "fair" rule of thumb is if your open a word doc and Z.A. says Word.exe is trying to phone home to Microsoft, let it go. But if your just sitting there cruising the web and all of the sudden a popup appears saying Windows system32 is trying to touch the internet, you might say no.

Another thing to watch for is what stops working when you tell Z.A to block something from touching the internet. SVCHost is a great example. Many programs need and use this function on the internet. You basically have to let it out or many things won't work properly on your PC like getting internet time updates. Maybe your Norton Virus scan tries to get out. If you block it, Norton might say it failed to update virus detection files. You get the idea? Use Z.A until you feel safe not using it is what I'm trying to say. I'll be happy to try to explain this better if you need me to.. Keep Z.A for now until it drives you nuts. Then get rid of it and go back to your hardware and Microsoft firewalls only.
~Peace~

Hermskii

David
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No

Post by David » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:04 am

I understand the firewall topic, as mush I can right now. So far, I just have two IP addresses from China that attempts to send packets to my computer several times a day and that is about it. I have not noticed anything else, program wise.

What about anti virus programs. What do you all use. I have Kaspersky. It is pretty aggressive, I believe, but it also hampers the speed of my computer.
Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:21 am

I think that is a good antivirus and so long as it is up to date you should be good. I use AVG and it is barely OK but it is free so what am I going to do? Trend Micro is likely the best but isn't free. Wish I had more to tell you on the subject. Sorry.
~Peace~

Hermskii

ZippityDooDa

Post by ZippityDooDa » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:19 pm

Hey I know this is a little off topic about the computers but what servers are operational here? I was just a little confused and I see no IP's on anyones servers just the names of them, maybe post it the ip or banner(besides a signature) so I and others can keep track of IP's, thanks guys.

Oh and David, if you need help with any computer setup or problems let me know and we can use teamviewer (kind of like using remote assistance) I use it to fix pc's and create maps with lucifur over at HUTP, here is the link --http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx Very easy to use, small download and simple to connect from any PC.
11100000.11111111.11111111.00000000 /24

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:31 pm

I'll do that sir. I have to check and see. I usually try to just go by the names because those never change. The IP address does change a few times a year for me.
~Peace~

Hermskii

ZippityDooDa

Post by ZippityDooDa » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:56 pm

Hermskii wrote:I'll do that sir. I have to check and see. I usually try to just go by the names because those never change. The IP address does change a few times a year for me.
Awesome!

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:20 pm

{CG} = 98.197.145.227:7757 ( Redeemer server )

{MHM} = 98.197.145.227:7737 ( MonsterHunt server )

I'll try to get these posted elsewhere too but wait...add this to favs and behold:

http://www.hermskii.com/
~Peace~

Hermskii

ZippityDooDa

Post by ZippityDooDa » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:38 pm

Hermskii wrote:{CG} = 98.197.145.227:7757 ( Redeemer server )

{MHM} = 98.197.145.227:7737 ( MonsterHunt server )

I'll try to get these posted elsewhere too but wait...add this to favs and behold:

http://www.hermskii.com/
Awesome, thanks

David

Post by David » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:27 pm

Just an update. I removed the ZoneAlarm Firewall. During the boot up of the computer, the program would get stuck often. It would stay in the initialization (starting of the program) and would not go further.

I am using the windows firewall and the router firewall. I will see how the computer does.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:16 am

Good luck!
~Peace~

Hermskii

David

Post by David » Tue May 10, 2011 2:21 pm

I was reviewing computer repair companies where my parents live, since my mother's computer has an unknown issue and they live in Utah, and I am in Arizona. I just can not drive there (about 15 hours away) and fix the computer. I did some research on line and located three companies.

The one that they decided to go to had an A+ rating from the BBB and had good reviews at other sites. Their prices seemed to be good on the labor side of things. What I came across and I had to look twice was the picture on this page.. http://www.xscomputersolutions.com/xs_repair/index.html

Look closely, what do you see in his hand? What does that have anything to do with computer repair........unless it was for a computer that could not be repaired. :lol:

David

Post by David » Tue May 10, 2011 8:09 pm

OK, the above link did not go where I wanted to, so here is the link again. http://www.xscomputersolutions.com/xs_repair/about.html

Look closely, what do you see in his hand? What does that have anything to do with computer repair........unless it was for a computer that could not be repaired. :lol: :lol: :lol:

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Tue May 10, 2011 9:14 pm

That guy holds in his hand an ultimate solution to all PC problems. :lol:
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Tue May 10, 2011 10:50 pm

I had not realized you were being sarcastic and was at a loss when I viewed the picture. I was going to jump in here and explain it all and then Click! Oh! Sarcasm. LOL.

Remote control is the answer to everything David. I'd be happy to remote into your PC and then into theirs and look around and see if I can fix anything for you/them. Let me know. I can't fix everything but I'm pretty good at this stuff after 10+ professional years of experience. Yeah, I have some certifications too.
~Peace~

Hermskii

David

Post by David » Wed May 11, 2011 10:04 am

Thanks Herm. I thought of that as well, but, when I was trying to talk my mother through some simple steps, so I could try to set up the remote, she was not able to.

I contacted the service company and inquired about the computer and so far, they stated "They told me the machine has been way slow lately and it seems to run
well for what it is, Celeron processors are not made to be fast by any
means but it seems to be working like it should
."

I suggested to my mother is to go to the service building and then demonstrate what issues she has on the computer so they can see what she is trying to do and they could decide if it is software, hardware, malware/virus or user related.