Deck-16 variants

Post all off topic / off the wall content here!
EvilGrins
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Deck-16 variants

Post by EvilGrins » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:04 pm

The other day I asked about how many versions of DM-Deck-16 there were over at BU and someone sent this:

Holy carp! (yes, the fish)

My question came with a screenshot from one of the few I have, DM-Deck420][

From the response at the top, did anyone else know there were that many??

Nelsona

Re: Deck-16 variants

Post by Nelsona » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:15 am

Just 2 cents:

I was playing a few weeks ago in a DM server without MapVote. Maps were cycled randomly.

When DM-Deck16 showed up, the other player (being 1on1 server) just sent a message: ":(" and simply left the server.
Given up-mentioned parameters I'm "gratefull" to everybody which made a remake of a map and other re-remades and re-re-re-mades... probably being more easier to say "I made a map" but map is already done being screwed and colored constantly - NOTHING new and NO other imagination. We, players are gratefull to each of such mappers who not really tweaked more things but adding "new" tons of GB to waste space in our drives, THANK YOU. I cannot wait to see which will be the last DECK, maybe when UT will have finally 2 players uninterested about any kind of DECKx, where x might float between 0 and a few thousands.

Terraniux

Post by Terraniux » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:41 am

I find the normal, standard maps (inc. deck16) mapped by Epic Games are the best and most smooth to play. In my opinion it is ok to expand and/or to modify the map to a server's theme, but they come perfect as they are. You don't touch master pieces of work. It is the same as scratching on a carved statue with a knife. Just don't. It is perfect, keep it that way.

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:00 am

I still LOVE the original maps, and most are on my servers too.
Players still love them.

And NO, I didn't know there were so many.
Who was that "someone" who sent that to you?
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:10 pm

Hook wrote:Who was that "someone" who sent that to you?
Him · http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showpost ... tcount=307

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:51 am

I would have guessed but I didn't know. I love Deck 16 and have about 20 variants myself. I like maps that have been reworked as long as the new goal is at least nearly as impressive or better than the original. I also think at least half of those are the same map with just different upper and lower case characters in the name. I might have version 1 in all caps and you may have version 1 in all lower case and someone else may have version 1 in a mixed case format. 1 map named 3 different ways and then there is the chance many are the same map with different names and then apply the three different version rules of naming to those. I can't do the math but what I'm saying here is that for every 10 maps listed in this master list of Deck maps that I think it might be safe to say that there is really only 1-3 different maps or more than 66% of these are duplicates with alternate names.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Dr.Flay

Post by Dr.Flay » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:15 pm

Many mappers are compromised by deadlines and technology, and when asked if they would make their early maps differently, they generally say "yes".
The same holds true with music and art.

If UT was meant in any way to be "pure", they would not have given away the editor.

Having said that, I have never understood what the fascination with Deck-16 is.
It mostly depends on how many people you have in, as to what sort of game you get.
I can enjoy a bit of cat-n-mouse with no more than 4 people, but above that, it just turns into a spammy meat-grinder (a style many enjoy).
Indeed I have enjoyed a few games in Deck-16 with Hook and another player.

I have no love for straight DM as I am more of a team player, therefore unless I play 2v2 Deck-16 it is not going to be one of my faves anyway.

Rebuilds like the one in the posted picture can be worth a play, but just re-skinned originals are just pointless.
There are many dogtown and Zietkind maps I think have added more than the originals provided, enhancing the experience.
Deck-16 is a small map, so you can't do much without it making a massive change.

If the scale was changed and you could play in mini-mode, i may play it more.
If I were still using Windows 98, 128MB RAM, and a 16MB GFX card, I may still play this map... but I don't, so I don't.
I play epic maps like FragNbrags Epic-town. Maps that simply were not possible in 1998.
chaoticdreams.org - @TheChaosMod - Web IRChat - [url=irc://irc.quakenet.org/chaoticdreams]IRChat[/url]

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:09 pm

Speaking of old stuff, I have a cousin who is "giving me" his old Voodoo 5500 AGP AND he is giving me a VooDoo 4500 or 3500 PCI. He can't recall which it is. Doesn't matter. I love all Voodoo cards! Looks like it is about time to build out a Win98SE machine again!
~Peace~

Hermskii

Dr.Flay

Post by Dr.Flay » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:14 am

The Unofficial SP2 and the 98SE2ME projects should be your first port of call :D
http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html
http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/91-wind ... -projects/

Next, XP software on Win98/ME with KernelEx
http://kernelex.sourceforge.net

I also have the last working Winamp and FFDShow CoDecs that work on 98 :mrgreen:
chaoticdreams.org - @TheChaosMod - Web IRChat - [url=irc://irc.quakenet.org/chaoticdreams]IRChat[/url]

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:26 am

I'm told I should expect to get the card in another week or so!
~Peace~

Hermskii

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:42 pm

You reminded me to restart my old work-station - I have that unofficial 98se there. I wanna see what is doing and if it missed me :lol: . As long as I have a PC compatible, I always install that in other partition for emergency backup (when XP gets mad).

Dr.Flay

Post by Dr.Flay » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:26 pm

For a while I did have 98, XP and Linux on my trusty 32bit PC, until my last GFX card upgrade.
I use System Commander as the boot manager, so they can be installed anywhere I like.

Sysinternals NTFS for Windows 95/98/ME
http://my.opera.com/dr-flay/blog/os

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:23 am

A little more back on topic...